Syd Barrett dies

JDRM

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Partly wrong.

Type 1 isn't genetic, type 2 is. The risk of getting type 2 is 40% if either one of your parents have it, and 70% if both have it, so its possible even if both parents have it that you'll never have it.

You cant 'have diabetes' for a week, and then it disappears. If you have it, you have it. It's not the same as your bloodsugar getting temporarily up.

Alright, so, just trying to understand this here... my grandmother was on a certain medication when she had a stroke. They put her on some medicine while she was in the hospital.. this medicine caused her to have diabetes... but only for a few days, while she was on it, and now, diabetes-wise, she's fine...

Is it that she still has diabetes but her blood sugar and all that stuff is fine? But if she's fine in that regard, how is it that she even had diabetes?

And are you sure I confused the type one and the type two? I guess I could find out for myself on wiki...

Partly wrong.

Type 1 isn't genetic, type 2 is. The risk of getting type 2 is 40% if either one of your parents have it, and 70% if both have it, so its possible even if both parents have it that you'll never have it.

You cant 'have diabetes' for a week, and then it disappears. If you have it, you have it. It's not the same as your bloodsugar getting temporarily up.

Alright, so, just trying to understand this here... my grandmother was on a certain medication when she had a stroke. They put her on some medicine while she was in the hospital.. this medicine caused her to have diabetes... but only for a few days, while she was on it, and now, diabetes-wise, she's fine...

Is it that she still has diabetes but her blood sugar and all that stuff is fine? But if she's fine in that regard, how is it that she even had diabetes?

And are you sure I confused the type one and the type two? I guess I could find out for myself on wiki...

Are you sure it was actually "diabetes"? That it wasnt just her bloodsugar getting up?

The type 2 diabetes is more 'mellow' than type 1, so yes it is possible that she has type 2 and she doesnt notice it. If a person lives healthy, excersises and doesnt eat crap food the diabetes wont show any signs of existence. Well, theoretically anyway.

Yes, you confused the two types.

Are you sure it was actually "diabetes"? That it wasnt just her bloodsugar getting up?

Yeah, she had been to doctors all the time both before and after the stroke. No doctors had ever said anything about diabetes. When she went to the hospital for her stroke, they took blood samples, like usual, and the doctor said, "So, how long have you had diabetes?" And they were kind of flusterred, because she never had it, or at least the doctors never ever told her of it. And by the time she was about to leave the hospital, they said she didn't have it any more, and that it was really just a result of a medication she had to take, that that was a side effect.

Yeah, she had been to doctors all the time both before and after the stroke. No doctors had ever said anything about diabetes. When she went to the hospital for her stroke, they took blood samples, like usual, and the doctor said, "So, how long have you had diabetes?" And they were kind of flusterred, because she never had it, or at least the doctors never ever told her of it. And by the time she was about to leave the hospital, they said she didn't have it any more, and that it was really just a result of a medication she had to take, that that was a side effect.

:blink:

nobody knows where you are, how near or how far

shine on you crazy diamond

pile on many more layers and i'll be joining you there

shine on you crazy diamond

and we'll bask in the shadow of yesterday's triumph

and sail on the steel breeze

come on you boy child, you winner and loser

come on you miner for truth and delusion, and shine!

I thought it was a bad joke when I first heard it :

I knew he had problems with his diabetes but not that it was this bad

It's a sad day for music

I guess it affects people differently. My Uncle was diabetic for around 20 years (Type 1 and diagnosed at approx age 50). He had no major problems until Nov last year - when he had an attack during the night, ended up in a coma and died a few hours later. :(

It can happen so suddenly. Look on the fact Syd wouldn't have suffered. I'd guess he just went to sleep. Now he's off to the "Great Gig In the Sky" - the best seats, to the best gigs, whenever he wants.

Syd Barrett has been dead for decades though.

Yeah, he has - well the Syd that people knew and remember has.

His name hasn't been Syd since 1971. He himself hadn't been Syd since then.

He had such a sad story. The last couple decades of his life he seemed so innocent and beautiful in himself. I love him.