Why Is Axl Scared To Play 'There Was A Time' Live?

D-GenerationX

'There Was A Time' is maybe my favorite of the leaks.

So I was thrilled when they did it the first night in Hammerstien. Then it disappeared.

Then I thought hope was restored when they did it the first night of the Euro tour in Madrid. Disappeared again.

Now I have both versions, and yes, they are a little dodgy. But so fucking what? How is he going to get any better at doing it if he doesn't keep trying??

Remember the first few performances of 'I.R.S.'? Also pretty spotty. But they kept at it and the past few boots I've gotten, the sound sounds great.

Why will Axl not go through the same growing pains with 'There Was A Time'?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question, and I've thought of this too. I think after the 1st time, real spotty, he pulled it. The song requires a lot of back up voices, like a chorus almost. It's a complex arrangement, and not one easily pulled off live. I imagine it needs work live, and in time I hope to see it on the set lists.

One of my favorites too, but CITR is now topping my list, another one I hope to see done live in time.

Edited by axlskAmpf

I think he is saving it for the tour that will follow the release of Chinese Democracy...

But let's assume that's the case.

Is this not the perfect time for some trial and error?

Otherwise, when "the real tour" starts, he'll be no closer to figuring it out. :(

I think it all comes down to a lack of audience reaction. It's my favourite of the new songs by a long way - I enjoy hearing the live versions as well...

...But the audience simply didn't give the right response to the live version of the song, so i'm assuming it will remain a rarity until the album is released and the public have a chance for the song to 'grow' on them.

'I.R.S.' and 'Better' don't get much of a crowd response either though.

I still think its ridiculous that Axl doesn't introduce these songs by name before they do them so people know what the hell they are hearing.

He sure did it on the UYI tour before those albums came out.

I still think its ridiculous that Axl doesn't introduce these songs by name before they do them so people know what the hell they are hearing.

Different time man....

Different time man....

But if anything, he needs to do it moreso now.

In 1991, they were maybe the biggest band in the world.

Now in 2006, he is trying to sell what's left of the fanbase on a new line-up. He needs to be doing more than he is doing.

I think it all comes down to a lack of audience reaction. It's my favourite of the new songs by a long way - I enjoy hearing the live versions as well...

...But the audience simply didn't give the right response to the live version of the song, so i'm assuming it will remain a rarity until the album is released and the public have a chance for the song to 'grow' on them.

I don't think that is the case at all. Listen to the Hammerstein version of 'There Was A Time', the crowd go fuckin' insane at the end of it. I think it's more to do with the fact that it will probably drain Axl as it requires a large range of vocal capability. Personally I've only heard the Hammerstein version and I thought he tore the song apart. The ending shout that he gave sends shivers up the spine.

On a side-note... would anyone care to share the Madrid version? :unsure: Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

I don't think that is the case at all. Listen to the Hammerstein version of 'There Was A Time', the crowd go fuckin' insane at the end of it. I think it's more to do with the fact that it will probably drain Axl as it requires a large range of vocal capability. Personally I've only heard the Hammerstein version and I thought he tore the song apart. The ending shout that he gave sends shivers up the spine.

On a side-note... would anyone care to share the Madrid version? :unsure: Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

But read the fan reviews from the concerts - most commented on a lack of audience response for TWAT.

Total sidenote, I thought you were leaving.... :unsure:

But read the fan reviews from the concerts - most commented on a lack of audience response for TWAT.

Total sidenote, I thought you were leaving.... :unsure:

Me? :huh: Sorry dude I dunno what you're speaking about I never said I was leaving. Sorry I got your hopes up :laugh:

I think the song drains axl vocally, or it could be played in the show where axls voice is abit tired, for example singing better then t.w.a.t would be great but could drain axls voice alot

We are talking 2 verses here though.

Frankly, the song is more guitarwork than anything.

I am uploading an MP3 of it right now. Sit tight.

If it doesn't get played at either of the UK dates I'm going to next week I'll be really pissed. The version they played in NYC was utterly amazing - fair enough, the vocals and such were a bit sketchy - but the 3 minute solo at the end is what made me fall in love with Finck basically. I LOVE it.

If I don't get a chance to hear it live this year I might cry. :( Axl needs to start playing it!

'There Was A Time' - Madrid - 05.25.2006

link : http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...7E1D4E372FDE58A

The band sounds great. Axl...not so much. Excellent sound quality though.

Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like when Axl tries to sing this live his voice reverts back to how it was in 2002. Really painful to listen to.

Like you said, though, the band knock this song outta the ball park. Have a few more solos like that on Chinese Democracy and I'm sold.

Different time man....

yeah, if he does that, all they are gonna do is download it....