Why Is Axl Scared To Play 'There Was A Time' Live?

D-GenerationX

TWAT vocally is very demanding. Axl needs to huff oxygen every 5 minutes, so I doubt (in the current key of TWAT) that he can perform it well.

I have listened to both Madrid and Hammerstein, and Axl is reaching at the end of the song. GnR' need to rework the song for their live performances.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GnR' need to rework the song for their live performances.

Which will be probably happen for the Fall tour rehearsals..

I also think they've decided to keep it as one of the big guns for the Fall tour.

Where did you get the idea that he was "scared"?

Because not once, but twice, he has tried it out only to have it go poorly and then he runs from it.

What is that supposed to show me? Confidence??

You also need to realize they play this thing at soundcheck almost every night. They clearly have not given up on it as a song.

But then you need to recognize that the band does the soundcheck without their (maybe not so) fearless leader.

So who is the hold up for why its not being played??

Me? :huh: Sorry dude I dunno what you're speaking about I never said I was leaving. Sorry I got your hopes up :laugh:

:laugh:

Hopes up? No, not at all - would be a shame if you did leave mate. ;)

My mistake, apologies for taking this off topic BTW.

I appreciate your kind words. The forum is ace! :)

Thankyou D-Generation X for the upload. As many have said I think they will play this regularly on the fall tour to coincide with the release of 'Chinese Democracy'. This is definetly one of the big guns Axl has up his sleeve and it gave me complete confidence in Axl and the band.

Oh fuck Axl sounds like he's completely putting on that raspy voice. :no: He will improve with time.

When I was in Madrid I was really surprised, because they played every new song we know so far (Better, I.R.S., TWAT, Madagascar, The Blues, Chinese Democracy), except citr, and I thought they would play them on the whole tour in order to make them familiar to the fans, but they only play 3 or 4 new songs at the concerts. I don't know why but it's a little bit strange to play only 3 or 4 new songs when you are promoting a new album.

When I was in Madrid I was really surprised, because they played every new song we know so far (Better, I.R.S., TWAT, Madagascar, The Blues, Chinese Democracy), except citr, and I thought they would play them on the whole tour in order to make them familiar to the fans, but they only play 3 or 4 new songs at the concerts. I don't know why but it's a little bit strange to play only 3 or 4 new songs when you are promoting a new album.

Listen you inbred ugly son of a bitch the fucking albums not been released yet. Did you get to this site from a link on a spastic website.

Listen you inbred ugly son of a bitch the fucking albums not been released yet. Did you get to this site from a link on a spastic website.

First of all, thank you for the most intelligent post I've ever seen. So, hhhmm, FUCK you too!

What do you think he's doing. Do you think he's touring because he needs the money. CD will (hopefully) be released in fall or winter, so you don't see the connection...a tour and an album in the same year...you don't get it...okay...I give up...it's hopeless!

he's touring to make people aware that gnr is a diff band.

...and because of that he SHOULD/HAVE TO play new songs, because as you said, it's a different band, not a cover band´!

Edited by misch

First of all, thank you for the most intelligent post I've ever seen. So, hhhmm, FUCK you too!

What do you think he's doing. Do you think he's touring because he needs the money. CD will (hopefully) be released in fall or winter, so you don't see the connection...a tour and an album in the same year...you don't get it...okay...I give up...it's hopeless!

You can't support an album that's not out yet. He's touring to get comfortable with touring before he hits the more difficult, by Axl's own admission, crowds in the U.S. The whole band (mostly Bumblefoot) needs to learn the catalog, and it makes more sense to start with the known stuff which most of the crowd (and probably Bumblefoot, too) knows.

E-thug. It's easy to talk to someone like that when you know they can't grab you by the throat and beat your ass. Personally, I always try to address people here as I would face to face, with a degree of regard, and without being a complete dickweed.

Anyway.

I agree with the sentiment that the song is probably too taxing for Axl...or, maybe he just doesn't want the band to play it much yet. Who knows.

I don't know why but it's a little bit strange to play only 3 or 4 new songs when you are promoting a new album.

Because it's not the Chinese Democracy tour. They're not promoting Chinese Democracy.

What they are promoting is the new GnR. "Look, we're back! Axl's back! Check out the new band members. Here's a small sample of what you can expect when the album drops."

It's also a good-bye tour of the old GnR sound. A thank you for waiting this long to the fans. Enjoy these old tunes while you still can.

Maybe TWAT is a more personal song to him so its harder to let it out.

..excellent argument...

I don't know why but it's a little bit strange to play only 3 or 4 new songs when you are promoting a new album.

Because it's not the Chinese Democracy tour. They're not promoting Chinese Democracy.

What they are promoting is the new GnR. "Look, we're back! Axl's back! Check out the new band members. Here's a small sample of what you can expect when the album drops."

It's also a good-bye tour of the old GnR sound. A thank you for waiting this long to the fans. Enjoy these old tunes while you still can.

..that's right..david hasselhof...

:)

I think TWAT is a ok song, but I didn't like the live version...., not the live version of I.R.S either... But Better was fucking great and Madagascar was the best song on the concert so I think the new material is realy good :)

The video of IRS at Download is amazing! Its great how the guitars get heavier and heavier as the song progreeses, matches Axl's singing style too as it gets more agressive.

IRS was my least favourite of the leaks but after hearing it live its one of my favourites :)

Monty

Why Is Axl Scared To Play 'There Was A Time' Live?

coz he's affraid to be sued by Stephany's husband and that will delay the process of writing another 41 songs about his feelings and blah, blah, blah...no...Axl, now, you don't need a President, you don't have to call an FBI...enything you need is to CALL A MANAGER!!! :lol::lol::lol:

stupid old troublemaker, now you really piss me off! :lol:

Yeah I saw some setlist recently and they dropped TWAT and Mad and everything apart from The Blues, Better and CD. The singles? The big guns?

The problem with TWAT is that it isnt November Rain so where does it fit in set list. With so many classic songs. Can you replace OTGM with TWAT? OTGM isnt a single but it's vital to a GNR show.

I thought they wood be replacing old material for new. I want them to open with Chinese D.