Why Is Axl Scared To Play 'There Was A Time' Live?

D-GenerationX

For the record, I was at the 5-12 show with my girlfriend. She's not really a big fan, knows and likes the classic radio songs like "Jungle", "Child", "Paradise City" etc.

So she reacted to those, and sung along. She also really likes "Better" but that's because I play it so much. "TWAT" however, she never reacted to when I played it.......until that show. At the end, she simply said "Wow"..........coming from a non-fan, and someone who was cynical as all hell going to see the "new" band, that is a hell of a compliment.

Play the damn song Axl.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you get the idea that he was "scared"?

Because not once, but twice, he has tried it out only to have it go poorly and then he runs from it.

What is that supposed to show me? Confidence??

You also need to realize they play this thing at soundcheck almost every night. They clearly have not given up on it as a song.

But then you need to recognize that the band does the soundcheck without their (maybe not so) fearless leader.

So who is the hold up for why its not being played??

I didn't know they play it at soundcheck.. :unsure: how do you know?

anyway, I think they should start to play it more, the two times they played it it sounded fairly good, Madrid better than Hammerstein, but it wasn't so bad, if they would have kept trying it would be so much better by now..

A couple of things I noticed though: Axl fucked up the lyrics the first time, he didn't sing the "devil hates a loser" part and repeated the "knowledge that you gave me" both times.

Bumblefoot needs to practice his solo more and stick to it more. He improvised way too much.. and kinda killed some parts of the solo that I love, like I was expecting it to go some way and he played something completely different..

Robin in my opinion nails his solo both times, it sounds almost like the demo but even better, like you can feel the attitude of being live and how the way he moves and plays bouncing influences the sounds he makes with the guitar, and I think that solo benefits from it :heart:

bottom line, I think it is possible to get away with it if they keep trying, in Madrid it almost sounded great already, maybe Axl's voice sounds a bit tired but nothing unbearable.

I might be that its just hard to do live. And therefore not much fun. If Axl cant sing it right, it's pretty intense lyrics, they way he has to sing sounds difficult to me and it has a big outro, maybe like Civil War its just too heavy and might not be fun live. Like Think About You is a fun song, a sing a long, a happy song. They dont even do Estranged and that would be up there for most fans as GNRs best song. But too Slash? Don't Cry to me is also a Slash song, the solo steals the show. TWAT has a Slash solo - to me it sounds like Slash?

There were highlights when I saw them. But I did find myself wandering off during a few classics. Jungle is always great opener. I think It's So Easy and Brownstone cood go. It's so formulaic. It's not that it's not well done but they just don't have the same inpact anymore. For me. I know they are great songs but you know it does get a bit repetitive. On the other hand I never tire of OTGM. I know the shows not for me and I'm a minority that wants to here OMG and Chinese D, Rhyiad, Silkworms I love the harder edge, I'm not so fond of The Blues are Madgascar - I like to see the devil raised and burned, you know. I want the earth to be scorched before he drops in a sing along like SCOM. I just want to see the band kick some ass on it's own terms. And as a listener just hear some new music that rocks. If they play TWAT people will get behind them. People will have something to talk about. TWAT is better than Nov Rain in 2006.

HAHAHAHAHA

WASTED i think your wasted TWAT better than november rain go see the doctor i think youve come down with something :rolleyes:

This should go in the dictionary under "missing the point"

LP

:rofl-lol:

My wife thinks TWAT is better than NR too, though. I told her she's crazy, but whatever, it gets her to listen to GnR instead of Vertical Horizon or Third Eye Blind, so it's cool.

There Was a Time is definitely better than November Rain in my book - Everything in NR, from the cheesey orchestration to the lyrics (especially the "Don't ya think that ya need somebody" nonsense at the end) is just, well, lame.

There's a reason why people point to NR as the point where GNR jumped the shark - It's just too overblown and cheesey.

There Was a Time has much moodier music, killer solos, way better lyrics, and best of all, it's shorter - Axl's created an epic with a condensed runtime, and it rocks.

whoaaa! i just listened to the twat flac from paris - http://www.thenewguns.com/GNR-2006-05-25-d2t03.flac - and can understand why axl doesn't wanna do it. he sounds fucking awful, damn.

on the plus side, ron thal is in top form for that end solo. crystal clear, lightning fast, and fucking beautiful. proof that bucket+1 is in the band. the whole band really shows how good they are during that extremely complex song. axl needs to practice it.

axl... DO IT

edit- i know it's not nice to link directly to rainx' files, but since he's a little bitch, it'll be fine.

Edited by quadlaser

I doubt he's 'scared' to play it live, otherwise he wouldn't have played it on those few occasions. It's probably because he wants to play songs more suited to the 'rocker' image, and leave stuff like that for the album.

Nice Comeback Sandman.......Love the "WARNING" Sig

ADIOS AMIGO!

THE WC.