What programs do you use for home recording

I was wondering what sort of programs u guys use for recording at home on your computers. What are the best programs to have and how do you like them.

I have Garageband which came with my powerbook. Its pretty damn cool and is all I've known.

Just asking for recomendations.

tbizzle

I have Pro Tools, Garageband, and Ableton. Pro Tools is great, after all, it is the industry standard. But to be honest, you'll do perfectly fine with Garage Band. In fact, that's what ive been using mostly. It easy to use, and comes stock with a bunch of great loops and effects (for both real and software instruments). Also, you can take the raw audio files and open them with Pro Tools if you need to. The only thing I would recommend would be to get some sort of interface (like a Firepod or Mbox). That gives you a better signal to work with if you are going to be using the software's effects and it allows you to record tracks in stereo as well. You can also use a multi-effects board as an input too, must of the newer ones have line-level outputs that would be perfect for connecting to a Powerbook.

I have a Fostex VF 160 EX. I'm getting a new super-duper MacBook Pro computer for school though (I pretty much need to have the best computer available to the general public since I'm studying film) and I plan to get ProTools as well, but I think the computer actually comes with Garageband.

What do you mean by remaster an MP3?

I used VST Plugins like Compressors, and Noise Reduction, Hiss Reduction, shit like that, and when I saved it, the quality went worse because it's a lossy file type. Is there any way to sort this out? Because if you convert it to WAV or whatever, it loses quality in that process.?

I used VST Plugins like Compressors, and Noise Reduction, Hiss Reduction, shit like that, and when I saved it, the quality went worse because it's a lossy file type. Is there any way to sort this out? Because if you convert it to WAV or whatever, it loses quality in that process.?

You have to use all uncompressed (lossless) audio files. If you take an MP3 and convert it to WAV and then add effects, don't convert it back to MP3; converting from WAV to MP3 will result in quality loss.

You have to use all uncompressed (lossless) audio files. If you take an MP3 and convert it to WAV and then add effects, don't convert it back to MP3; converting from WAV to MP3 will result in quality loss.

Cheers :) Will the mp3 lose quality if I convert it to WAV ?

No. MP3 to WAV will not result in the loss of quality. But if you convert an MP3 to a WAV, edit the WAV and then convert back to MP3, you will lose quality.

No. MP3 to WAV will not result in the loss of quality. But if you convert an MP3 to a WAV, edit the WAV and then convert back to MP3, you will lose quality.

Keep in mind that all these compressors and noise reduction tools aren´t gonna clean up a track if it has noise on it. these aren´t magic tools for crying out loud! :) They´re just tools so you can perfect a single track that has SOME noise on it. you can´t take a bootleg and think you´ll get CD quality out of it :D

we use Pro Tools 7, Abelton Live, Reason and I personally use Logic 7 Express on my macbook.

use re-wire though. And get the plugs from either Oxford or Waves for Pro Tools.

Cubase SX3 or Nuendo are great for TRACKING, as for mixing I don´t think it´s all that great.

You should as someone mentioned have a good interface. The MBOX stuff are piece of crap.

Get Layla or something else. There are many other BETTER interfaces.

And try to get a hold of a cheap and good outboard EQ. That´ll help you alot if you are tracking full bands.