The Izzy Situation

wasted

There was a story that Izzy left cos Axl was saying he didn't do enough on stage and therefore take a paycut. Like he just stood there and "was Izzy" and that was cool but then they went to stadiums and Axl wanted Izzy to do more, work the crowd, like slash did more. Anyway what I think is funny is that now Izzy is deployed strategically and gets the biggest cheer of the night. Izzy creates a massive buzz just being there. It's funny how life changes shit. I know I'm a philosopher...

There was a story that Izzy left cos Axl was saying he didn't do enough on stage and therefore take a paycut. Like he just stood there and "was Izzy" and that was cool but then they went to stadiums and Axl wanted Izzy to do more, work the crowd, like slash did more. Anyway what I think is funny is that now Izzy is deployed strategically and gets the biggest cheer of the night. Izzy creates a massive buzz just being there. It's funny how life changes shit. I know I'm a philosopher...

There was more reasons that just that.

I read a story like that back in the day, I don´t know if it´s true. But if I´m not wrong one of the reasons why Izzy left GNR was that he didn´t want to play arenas, that he felt more comfortable playing clubs and small venues but it was too late to think like that because at that time GNR were too big. Again, I might be wrong but I think that´s one of the main reasons.

In 15 years a persons feelings towards something can change....

I agree with FYE here, basically Axl and Izzy were childhood best friends. That's got to give them quite a close bond together so even if they fell out for a long time, because that bond is there they would always eventually make up. I doubt it took an entire fifteen years for them to reconcile and i'm sure there were amiable communications before that but it's only now that Axl has his old best buddy back on the road with Guns N Roses.

I agree with FYE here, basically Axl and Izzy were childhood best friends. That's got to give them quite a close bond together so even if they fell out for a long time, because that bond is there they would always eventually make up. I doubt it took an entire fifteen years for them to reconcile and i'm sure there were amiable communications before that but it's only now that Axl has his old best buddy back on the road with Guns N Roses.

very true. Axl has a bond with Izzy he doesn't have with the other ex-members. I even read somewhere that Axl wanted Izzy at Rock in Rio 3 in 2001, but Izzy wouldn't do it. Its cool they reunited on stage :)

I read a story like that back in the day, I don´t know if it´s true. But if I´m not wrong one of the reasons why Izzy left GNR was that he didn´t want to play arenas, that he felt more comfortable playing clubs and small venues but it was too late to think like that because at that time GNR were too big. Again, I might be wrong but I think that´s one of the main reasons.

As far as I am aware that was the reason for Izzy's departure.

rock4

I always thought that Izzy left b/c he didn't want to be dictated to by Axl once the "Illusions" albums were released. Axl had the vision for the tour, band, and videos, and Izzy grew tired of it. "Behind The Music" also gave that reason.

The reasons listed above is news to me. But either way, good to see Izzy on stage with Axl.

Edited by SALonghorn

exactly, somethings are more important then money/fame/everything else.....and that's frienship

exactly, somethings are more important then money/fame/everything else.....and that's frienship

Thats so true

That's the story that I heard. Izzy didn't want GNR to be this massive thing that played arenas. But who knows what the truth is??? Izzy is very laid back but that's what I like about him. He is just himself.

Izzy seemed to have left because of all the reasons listed above. Axl probably wanted him to take a pay cut; he didn't dig the bloated touring machine that the band became; I think a lot of what he wanted Gn'R to be is evident on his stripped down solo album (think of "Shuffle It All" as a Gn'R song!). Even Axl said Izzy just does what he wants, when he wants to. I'm sure there were some other issues that we don't know about as well, but the bottom line is that it's nice to see Izzy out and about again.

Hopefully, he's putting some of his own touches onto CD. B)

to me the original band was more about izzy and axl than slash and axl.....i always liked izzy the best. at the beginning slash was more of the lead guitar player and izzy was the writer, but then slash kinda took over for UYI and izzy, being the bad motherfucker that he is, was just like "cool. do it. i'm gonna go do whatever the fuck i want and be happy, you fucking DTJ motherfuckers!"

Yeah, Izzy was the spirit of GNR. Like the Hanoi Rocks look and The Stones. I read a quote where Izzy said that he wasn't digging it, the tour and the whole thing, but wasnt totally against it, he mentioned Estranged or Coma had so many chord changes, and he brought up the fact that Axl wanted him to sign a contract and get less money, that was the final straw. He said it was hard for him to write songs like Dust N Bones and then Axl would work them into his materplan by saying it's like Rick and the Raiders. You know Axl had this way of making it all about him. I suppose this sounds like I think it's Axl's fault but really they could have just sucked it up and finished the tour. I guess once you got a few De Niros in your pocket you start to look at things different. Also, in reality Izzy was on probation so if he was caught with anything he was looking at doing time. So the party was over. I wonder how Izzy ended up on this tour? Axl said he spoke to Izzy at the Korn party and then suddenly he's on tour.

I still think JuJu Hounds first record and Slash's Snakepit album wood have made a good GNR album.

Yeah, Izzy was the spirit of GNR. Like the Hanoi Rocks look and The Stones. I read a quote where Izzy said that he wasn't digging it, the tour and the whole thing, but wasnt totally against it, he mentioned Estranged or Coma had so many chord changes, and he brought up the fact that Axl wanted him to sign a contract and get less money, that was the final straw. He said it was hard for him to write songs like Dust N Bones and then Axl would work them into his materplan by saying it's like Rick and the Raiders. You know Axl had this way of making it all about him. I suppose this sounds like I think it's Axl's fault but really they could have just sucked it up and finished the tour. I guess once you got a few De Niros in your pocket you start to look at things different. Also, in reality Izzy was on probation so if he was caught with anything he was looking at doing time. So the party was over. I wonder how Izzy ended up on this tour? Axl said he spoke to Izzy at the Korn party and then suddenly he's on tour.

I still think JuJu Hounds first record and Slash's Snakepit album wood have made a good GNR album.

the ju ju hounds' record is a lost american classic. it was perfectly within his reach to become the next tom petty or bruce springsteen or someone like that, but he apparentley just didnt want to, god bless him. he had the talent and fame to make it happen, that's for sure.

i've read a lot of things about izzy and how he never wanted to be in something as big as gn'r were when he left. he also had gotten sober before the rest of the guys, and didnt like being around all the booze and drugs. i'm sure he also was pissed that slash kind of took over for UYI. both izzy and slash have admitted that izzy didn't play on most of those songs.

from what i know of izzy, he lives a really quiet life: he's got his wife and his house and he goes on vacations all the time. i imagine he was able to do the curent tour because

a. he and axl have been friends since high school.

and

b. he wasnt there when the shit hit the fan with the other members, so he probably has a lot less to be pissed off about....

Izzy really didn't like all the touring and large arena playing. there was some arguments over the band direction was going. also He was trying to stay off drugs then too which was difficult with the others using them. but his and axl's friendship has never been totally severed they were always there for each other when they really needed a friend true friends to the end.

I always thought that Izzy left b/c he didn't want to be dictated to by Axl once the "Illusions" albums were released. Axl had the vision for the tour, band, and videos, and Izzy grew tired of it. "Behind The Music" also gave that reason.

You're right, and it probably wasn't so much Axl's "vision" for the tour, etc as it was Axl's "delivery" of his vision. Axl was trying to take over the band and of course that wouldn't sit well with anyone, regardless of whether they wanted to do arena shows or not. Ultimately, the same thing drove away Slash. Izzy could have his spot back in GnR, but he'll never do it, because he knows that would means he's a full-time employee for W. Axl Rose and that's not going to work.

Edited by LookingThruThisPOV

It probably wasn't so much Axl's "vision" for the tour, etc as it was Axl's "delivery" of his vision. Axl was trying to take over the band and of course that wouldn't sit well with anyone, regardless of whether they wanted to do arena shows or not. Ultimately, the same thing drove away Slash. Izzy could have his spot back in GnR, but he'll never do it, because he knows that would means he's a full-time employee for W. Axl Rose and that's not going to work.

axl wasnt "trying" to take over the band at that point: he already had them in his pocket. izzy was just the only one sober/levelheaded enough to see it at that time, so he bailed. must have been pretty insulting for izzy to have axl/slash trying to pay him less for being on stage, when a lot of those songs were his.

axl wasnt "trying" to take over the band at that point: he already had them in his pocket. izzy was just the only one sober/levelheaded enough to see it at that time, so he bailed. must have been pretty insulting for izzy to have axl/slash trying to pay him less for being on stage, when a lot of those songs were his.

If Axl had the band in his pocket, I'm sure it would have been solely Axl trying to get Izzy to take a pay-cut. Slash was not involved in the pay-cut request. I'm sure Axl was the defacto leader of the band from the beginning, but in 1991 is when it really started spinning out of control. The others were not cool with it either, but they wanted to 'keep the fucking thing going' (Slash on BTM).