2006 European Guns N' Roses Tour

IndiannaRose

Gnrlogo3.jpg

Guns N' Roses Pillage Europe

On this day, July 30th, 2006, Guns N' Roses will finish their 33 date European Tour in which an approximate 320,000 tickets were sold (this number excludes the 10 festival dates played). This awe-inspiring summer saw over 700,000 fans attend one of the most acclaimed Rock N' Roll shows in the planet.

This 2006 incarnation of Guns N' Roses is composed of Axl Rose (Vocals/Piano), Robin Finck (Guitar), Ron Thal a.k.a. Bumblefoot (Guitar), Richard Fortus (Rhythm Guitar), Tommy Stinson (Bass), Dizzy Reed (Keyboards), Brain Mantia(Percussion), and Chris Pittman (Synth/Effects). During these last months this band has more than proven that they can brake the sword of malice, which the press has repeatedly tried to impale the group in.

The band's eclectic soul and energy was demonstrated on the following tour dates:

May 25th, 2006 - Madrid, Spain @ Auditorio Parque Juan Carlos I

May 27th, 2006 - Lisbon, Portugal @ Parque da Bela Vista (Rock In Rio 2006)

May 31st, 2006 - Budapest, Hungary @ Papp László Budapest Sportaréna

June 2nd, 2006 - Eifel, Germany @ Nürburgring (Rock Am Ring)

June 4th, 2006 - Milan, Italy @ Idroscalo (Gods of Metal Festival)

June 7th, 2006 - London, UK @ Hammersmith Apollo

June 9th, 2006 - Dublin, Ireland @ RDS Arena

June 11th, 2006 - Donington, UK @ Donington Park (Download Festival)

June 13th, 2006 - Prague, Czech Republic @ Sazka Arena

June 15th, 2006 - Warszawa, Poland @ Stadion Legii

June 17th, 2006 - Burgenland, Austria @ Pannonia Fields II (Novarock)

June 20th, 2006 - Paris, France @ Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy

June 24th, 2006 - Dessel, Belgium (Graspop Metal Meeting)

June 26th, 2006 - Stockholm, Sweden @ Globen

June 28th, 2006 - Oslo, Norway @ Spektrum

June 29th, 2006 - Roskilde, Denmark @ (Roskilde Festival)

July 1st, 2006 - Zürich, Switzerland @ Hallenstadion

July 2nd, 2006 - Nijmegen, The Netherlands @ Goffertpark

July 5th, 2006 - Helsinki, Finland @ Hartwall Areena

July 6th, 2006 - Helsinki, Finland @ Hartwall Areena

July 8th, 2006 - Oslo, Norway @ Spektrum

July 10th, 2006 - Malakasa, Greece @ Terravibe (Rockwave Festival)

July 12th, 2006 - Istanbul, Turkey @ Kurucesme Arena

July 14th, 2006 - Bilbao, Spain @ Kobetamendi (BilbaoLive Festival 2006)

July 15th, 2006 - El Ejido-Almeria, Spain (Natural Music Festival)

July 18th, 2006 - Sheffield, UK @ Hallam FM Arena

July 19th, 2006 - Newcastle, UK @ Metro Radio Arena

July 21st, 2006 - Glasgow, UK @ SECC

July 23rd, 2006 - Manchester, UK @ MEN Arena

July 25th, 2006 - Birmingham, UK @ NEC

July 27th, 2006 - Nottingham, UK @ Nottingham Arena

July 29th, 2006 - London, UK @ Wembley Arena

July 30th, 2006 - London, UK @ Wembley Arena

This tour proved to be a succesful return for W. Axl Rose after secluding from the spotlight after the events of the ill-fated 2002 Chinese Democracy World Tour. This singer, legendary in many people's eyes, brought a sense of ferocity back into the art of arena based musical performances.

Axl35.jpg

Rose performing in Madrid, Spain

Although, of course, as every fan of this tenacious band knows; no Guns N' Roses tour is fully free of danger. On the first date of the tour the crowd in Madrid, Spain was to the point of riot as the band went on to play 2 hours late using "technical difficultes" as an excuse. Also, after an endearing performance of Sweet Child O' Mine on the night of the Download Festival Tommy Stinson was hit by a bottle, which enraged the bassist into a Rose-like rant addressing the crowd of the issue. Rose seemed angered himself as he showed an emotionless pose during the performance of one of the groups new songs "Better". Although, after the addition of Guns N' Roses legend, Izzy Stradlin, the show turned into one of the best of the tour.

During the middle of the tour a show in Zürich, Switzerland was postponed due to the near birth of Mantia's (percussion) new child. Mantia left the tour in order to be with his pregnant wife, and understudy drummer Frank Ferrer filled in for Brain at this point.

Robin17.jpg

Guitarist Robin Finck joined the band in mid-1997

After a sold-out show in Stockholm, Sweden Axl Rose was arrested for allegedley biting a security guard after the guard tried to stop a tirade between a drunk Rose and his close assistant, Beta. Rose was released from a Swedish jail at approximately 7:00 p.m. on June 27 after paying 50,000 Swedish kronor (approximately $6,800) in fines.

Axl84.jpg

Axl Rose is seen here with guitarist Robin Finck

Merck Mercuriadis released this statement following the band's sold out show in Oslo, Norway:

"We are very unhappy about Tuesday's events in Stockholm. To put this in context, we are in the middle of a tour - with sold out shows last night in Oslo, tomorrow in Copenhagen, and Saturday in Zurich rounding out this week alone - and continuing until the beginning of August. The Swedish authorities were very aware of this, yet continually threatened us over a 12 hour period with between 5 days and 3 weeks incarceration without bail if Axl did not "cooperate."

After the Sweden scenario Rose joked casually in reference to the incident in following dates. A few incidents have followed since but none have been as sudden and as abrupt as the incident in Sweden.

Yes, there have been some moments in concerts since then were a rowdy crowd has initiated into throwing objects at the band, which seemed to have almost pulled the plug in some shows (Newcastle, UK in particular) Although, isn't this normal and natural in the Guns N' Roses world? Most hardcore GN'R fans would probably say yes to that.

Ron5.jpg

Ron Thal is seen here at the Roskilde Festival picking up a ball from the crowd

This summer, with an audience of about 3/4 of a million, the group has proved to be a tremendous force in today's Pop dominated music world. Maybe, just maybe, there's a little hope for those hoping for a resurgence of the essence of hard rock. Guns N' Roses could possibly be that reviving essence.

The band has played 6 songs off their Chinese Democracy LP during this European tour. There Was A Time (T.W.A.T.), Better, I.R.S., Madagascar, Chinese Democracy, and The Blues have all provided enough evidence to show that the wait for the new record was probably well worth the while. These songs performed through out various dates this summer have proven that Guns N' Roses is still able to rock hard but with a touch of modern poison. These new efforts show a band willing to experiment with an antithetic sense of musical and genre-based aspects while ignoring critics who think that this band is not capable of doing so. Many think this road is a dead-end for this band who was once at the top of their game.

Although, many others do think that these minds have got it wrong, and that Guns N' Roses will once again pillage the now barren land of Rock. Rose announced earlier in the year that the forthcoming Guns N' Roses album is scheduled to be released later in the fall of this year. Will this actually turn out to be? Only time will tell. The tale of a silenced album made during years of internal inquisitions may come to an end erratically soon this year.

Or...Is this just the beginning?

Axl16.jpg

Edited by IndiannaRose

Good work, I didnt read it all but I got the gist of it. It was a great tour, and even though at times, it appeared it was going to fall apart (Download) it managed to be a great tour. Congrats to the new GNR for getting it right this time, and thanks to Axl for showing up to the 3 shows I went to.

I'm proud of Axl to be honest, and I don't care how sad that sounds. Not one missed date, and only one or two slight incidents during the gigs, all of which were not his fault.

Hopefully after a short break we'll hear about the album and then they'll rock the US. I just hope it's not too long before they return to the UK. rock3

Nice wrap up Indy. The bottom line IMO is:

Or...Is this just the beginning?

It better be.

The next few months should prove interesting. If they don't follow up then this whole summer was for not. But I can't imagine the band doing everything they've done this year and then just going home. I think what we have seen so far is the lead up to the album.

Hey Indy! Cheers to you! you've really put it togheter. Bot the sometimes bad stuff and the amazing vibe of the tour!

thanks for this stop in Europe Guns! Hope you come back soon and I wish you the best of luck in forthcoming tours!

Nice post. But, uh, this last sentence puzzled me:

The tale of a silenced album made during years of internal inquisitions may come to an end erratically soon this year.

Either you don't know what 'inquisitions' means, or I have no idea what you are referring to. Oh, and while you're looking up 'inquisitions' look up 'erratic' as well. I'm pretty sure you don't know what that word means.

Nice post. But, uh, this last sentence puzzled me:
The tale of a silenced album made during years of internal inquisitions may come to an end erratically soon this year.

Either you don't know what 'inquisitions' means, or I have no idea what you are referring to. Oh, and while you're looking up 'inquisitions' look up 'erratic' as well. I'm pretty sure you don't know what that word means.

One meaning of inquisition is that of a long and harsh interrogation. So, when I said that the band had "internal inquisitions" when the album was being made I meant that the band and Axl was questioning itself on how they could make the record and group possible.

Also, I used "eratically" in the sentence to convey a lacking consistency. So, if the album has been consistently under wraps for years then its release would actually be an erratic move when you look at the album's background.

I usually write poetry so I tend to confuse people quite often in my writings (I use lots of literary elements and crap).

Anyways....to the rest of you...

Thanx for the compliments! rock4 I wrote this review for GN'R fans so I'm glad you guys like it. It's basically a summary of the last 3 months in the GN'R world.

great post man, and yeah, this has been a hell of a tour... Guns N' Roses never do a world tour without getting all news pointed at them. I mean, many bands are taking a world tour this year but the papers are all full of news from the Guns N' Roses tour, that is so cool.