Guitarists

GNRrocks3

Guitarists  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

if you have enough technical skill you would know how to make it sound like you are "emotional" just by knowing what notes to play.

example- a good technical player would know that to sound "soulful" all you do is play your solo in the blues or pentatonic scale, with throwing in some bends here and there.

thal, BH, EVH, becker, satch, rusty and vai all know this

And Yngwie Malmsteen

I disagree. I really think Yngwie does NOT know this. According to him, any guitarist that isn't him is a piece of crap.

Yngwie have more emotion then many guitarists but he plays fast.

Solos with guys like Neil Young are so boring :sleeper:

But solos with Yngwie, Vai and Thal is like rock3

Edited by Desperado

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you have enough technical skill you would know how to make it sound like you are "emotional" just by knowing what notes to play.

example- a good technical player would know that to sound "soulful" all you do is play your solo in the blues or pentatonic scale, with throwing in some bends here and there.

thal, BH, EVH, becker, satch, rusty and vai all know this

And Yngwie Malmsteen

I disagree. I really think Yngwie does NOT know this. According to him, any guitarist that isn't him is a piece of crap.

Yngwie have more emotion then many guitarists but he plays fast.

Solos with guys like Neil Young are so boring :sleeper:

But solos with Yngwie, Vai and Thal is like rock3

Technical ability doesn't prove your worthiness as a guitarist. It's how you can affect someone's life with the msuic you make. And I think Neil Young has done that as is much more inspirational than Yngwie. Sure you can play until your frets and strings melt, but I can make someone laugh, cry and them feel good about themselves. Can't wait till the day I can say that.

Edited by swlabr

Technical ability doesn't prove your worthiness as a guitarist. It's how you can affect someone's life with the msuic you make. And I think Neil Young has done that as is much more inspirational than Yngwie. Sure you can play until your frets and strings melt, but I can make someone laugh, cry and them feel good about themselves. Can't wait till the day I can say that.

this is interesting, because it seriously proves my point. why can't you do that now? do you need more "emotion" training? :P i bet you could do the things you mentioned if you knew the scales and modes like the back of your hand.

and do you know how bad a neil young instrumental album would be? i can guarantee it wouldn't be more inspirational than a yngwie instrumental album, and i hate yngwie!

this is interesting, because it seriously proves my point. why can't you do that now? do you need more "emotion" training? :P i bet you could do the things you mentioned if you knew the scales and modes like the back of your hand.

and do you know how bad a neil young instrumental album would be? i can guarantee it wouldn't be more inspirational than a yngwie instrumental album, and i hate yngwie!

:lol: You got a point. But I got one as well. The best guitarist arent the most technical. Knowing every single scale playing appregios double hand tapping pick and finger picking (whatever thats called) doesnt make you a good guitarsit. sure it adds something to your bag of tricks and a step ahead of any other guitarist. but if you cant make music thatll affect people on a global scale or just a handful of people, then you're no good. youre good in the technical sense, but not in the emotional and human sense. i can only think of one technical guitarsit that can play very emotional and that steve vai. ive been told people like satch and bumblefoot play good, i just havent heard their stuff, so ill dig into that later.

and about me not being able to do all that sutff, i got a broken high E and it affects everything I try to play <_<

Edited by swlabr

I think alot of people confuse skill with running up and down scales at lighting speed. Anyone can do that, even that circus attraction micheal angelo (I think thats his name?) can play super fast but boring as hell. Emotion really means very little when you get down to it. The whole point of playing music is to be emotional in some way, so bascially you need the skill.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
I think alot of people confuse skill with running up and down scales at lighting speed. Anyone can do that, even that circus attraction micheal angelo (I think thats his name?) can play super fast but boring as hell. Emotion really means very little when you get down to it. The whole point of playing music is to be emotional in some way, so bascially you need the skill.

I like your posts.

:lol: You got a point. But I got one as well. The best guitarist arent the most technical. Knowing every single scale playing appregios double hand tapping pick and finger picking (whatever thats called) doesnt make you a good guitarsit. sure it adds something to your bag of tricks and a step ahead of any other guitarist. but if you cant make music thatll affect people on a global scale or just a handful of people, then you're no good. youre good in the technical sense, but not in the emotional and human sense. i can only think of one technical guitarsit that can play very emotional and that steve vai. ive been told people like satch and bumblefoot play good, i just havent heard their stuff, so ill dig into that later.

and about me not being able to do all that sutff, i got a broken high E and it affects everything I try to play <_<

something as simple as an arpeggio (picking the individual notes of a chord without letting the previous note ring) should NOT be a rarity. if someone can't do that, they fucking suck ass. arpeggios and tapping should not be included in your aforementioned "bag of tricks". whammy bar stunts, sweep tapping, and over the top playing are tricks. you know gilmour is excellent at sweep arpeggios, right? tapping too. he also knows a shitload of theory, he didn't just come up with those solos out of "emotion".

as far as music that'll affect people, i totally understand what you mean. we're talking about guitarists, though, so you can't really judge a guitarist unless you've heard their instrumentals, lest the vocals additional melody will throw you off course.

and no offense, but you're not very good at guitar yet, so don't downplay the importance of technical skill until you kickass, because with any other mindset, you're progress will be slow as fuck.

now go listen to some bumblefoot: http://www.myspace.com/turbonsong

if you haven't heard guitars suck, listen to it.

How can Dragonforce bore you?

*Looks at Kevs sig*

Oh.... your one of those people.

Id rather listen to Dragonforce than the boring tunes of Pink Floyd. :sleeper:

Here we go...

Pink Floyd at least have variety on their albums. For Dragonforce, every song is the same as the last. They just work on the gimmick of being faster than any other metal band. Well, faster doesn't mean better. They're just one trick ponies.

I'll say one thing,

From what I've heard of Dragonforce, they really pay attention to their phrasing and their runs to get the most out of every little lick they play.

For a shred-fest, I gotta say that the solo for My Spirit Will Go On is quite emotional and moving, while being flashy.

Anyone can clearly tell the songs apart, but I do agree a lot of their songs are similar, and I have no problem with that because they all kick ass.

Their new CD Inhuman Rampage really impressed me. I was on the fence with them before that. The guitar, and keytar work is just amazing.

Kev don't take any of this personaly because I think your a decent guy.

Listening to Pink Floyd is = to watch paint dry or grass grow. You can claim that they are fantastic original artists, but come on. Even the 3-5 minute Dragonforce solos are put to shame by the incredibly long, and dull intros, and the gaps in the songs. If it wern't for the slow, and incredibly simplistic guitar line that fills those dead space, they would be unlistenable.

Sure not all their songs are like that, but what a fucking waste of talent if your crowd has to be EXTREMELY high just to make your music listenable.

Oh, and if you pull out the emotion card:

Ill give you this one, but for a different reason. Emotion is a lot easier to emote when your singing in whispers, and playing 1/4 bps. I mean they have to do somthing because they can't just sit in a circle and jam motionless, or could they?

Oh, and in case you pull out the "Give me a break they play chill music" card:

I've heard "chill" music that's just as good as any Pink Floyd instrumental from pre-pubescent boys with Sony's Acid Pro music program. All they need is a cheap mic, and a book of poetry.

Edited by Anagram Of Oral Sex