Howlin' Wolf

adnan

I did own one of his CD's which I bought about a year ago, but it was ODS who ordered me to listen to him, and so I did.

He is now probably my favorite bluesman, and one of my favorite artists. I cannot get enough of his music. His amazing tenor, Sumlin's brilliance at guitar playing, and in general the great musicianship and songwriting on all of what I've heard so far, is exceptional even in comparison to the rest of the blues greats. As far as electric and chicago blues go, Wolf is the best IMO.

My favorite songs:

Evil

The Red Rooster

Wang Wang Doodle

Smokestack Lighting

I Asked for Water (She Gave Me Gasoline)

My Baby Walked Off

I Ain't Superstitious

Killing Floor

Down in the Bottom

Moanin' At Midnight

Natchez Burnin'

Sitting on Top of the World

Rockin' Daddy

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
As far as electric and chicago blues go, Wolf is the best IMO.

Tough call there, I've been listening to Muddy alot lately. If not the greatest, the second greatest and that's for sure. What made him so compelling was how he kept in touch with the Country sounds, it gave his music a sort of eerie effect. He achieved a hazy sound, that sounded thicker than it should have. And then there's the voice, endlessly satisfying and expressive. I can't recall another instance in which two men of such giant stature were part of the same scene.

Tough call there, I've been listening to Muddy alot lately. If not the greatest, the second greatest and that's for sure. What made him so compelling was how he kept in touch with the Country sounds, it gave his music a sort of eerie effect. He achieved a hazy sound, that sounded thicker than it should have. And then there's the voice, endlessly satisfying and expressive. I can't recall another instance in which two men of such giant stature were part of the same scene.

Yes, true. But as for right now, Howlin' Wolf is my choice of listening, along with "Goat's Head Soup".

Yes, true. But as for right now, Howlin' Wolf is my choice of listening, along with "Goat's Head Soup".

:lol: Good record, you can hear the drugs. Have you got Black and Blue? It's tremendous.

:lol: Good record, you can hear the drugs. Have you got Black and Blue? It's tremendous.

No, as for now I've got:

Out of Our Heads

Aftermath

Between the Buttons

Beggars Banquet

Let it Bleed

Sticky Fingers

Exile on Main Street

Goat's Head Soup

Some Girls

Voodoo Lounge

Bridges to Babylon

A Bigger Bang

by the Stones, I have to get the rest sometime.

What do yuo mean you can hear the drugs?

It's evident that they were quite strung out throughout the recording of the album.

What do yuo mean you can hear the drugs?

It's a very weird record, filled with violence and sick sexual lyrics, as well as, like with actual drug use, moments of sentimentality and truth (Angie). The record sounds and feels like a drug trip, it's also clear that Mick n' Keef were really drugged out throughout recording. It's also evidence of them not being the best of friends at the time.

EDIT: 40 Licks is a best of compilation.

Edited by adnan