Anyone else think Frank is better than Brain?

buzzkillz

From another drummer's point of view, I like Frank, but Brain is a fantastic drummer. There aren't very many better than him. "The Buckethead of Drums" is a good description for him.

Thanks for agreeing man! Brain is fuckin awesome! hes a very cool guy too, pretty damn funny on the buckethead dvd.

Anyways, Brain is the drummer and will be for a long time (i hope)

right technically matt is the best but to stay on topic Brain or Frank arent that good they ain good at all compared to a lot of drummers and i have studied different drummers over the past few years and i have to say brain and frank are beginners compared to people such as dave grohl or however u spell it, but if you can tell frank is more talented than Brain

Edited by jkdrummer

Brain is the drummer for GNR. Period.

Until there is an announcement that changes things Brain is the drummer.

Since when did we become experts on Drummers in general anyway...? Oh must have been the same time we all decided we could judge who was a better guitarist or compare everyone to Slash.

Musicians have different styles. Its pretty hard to say one is better than the other.

Saying that... there is a drummer joke. What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians? A drummer. :P

I'd like to see Frank take over full time personally, just wanted to get some other's thoughts... I was never a fan of Brain in GNR or Primus.

I feel that Frank fits in with the new Gn'R more than Brain/Brian. Although i think Brain/Brian is the better drummer.

Bumblefoot fits in with the new Gn'R more than Buckethead. Although i think Buckethead is the better guitarist.

brain mantic iant as good as you think! if those of you who understood dynamics and drum technique wud already know! all i can say is listen to any live version of november rain in this tour or the last with brain on drums, the sound of his kit is cack, also hav u ever noticed the in ear he uses?! (dont think this is to follow 3 guitarists because the drummer listens to the bass player first and foremost and i reckon its a metronome and the sounds of pittman, have u ever seen matt sorum use a metronome?!!!! , OK its needed in the new songs, but its not needed in the old.

Your bashing Brain on your theory that he has a metranome playing in his ear? You dont even no that and that has nothing to do with his playing. Is Axl a bad singer because he uses an in ear to hear himself? The in ear is opposed to a fold back monitor so Brain can hear the other instruments and drum loops, sound effects etc.

He's a quality drummer, as is Frank. Do you think they'd be playing in the band if not? We all know how much of a perfectionist Axl is.

SP

i like brain, but at the start of a few of the leaks, it sounds like a drum machine for a good minute, especially TWAT, maybe brain isnt putting in enough effort and trying to nail it on the actual drumset. frank was good when i saw him

i like brain, but at the start of a few of the leaks, it sounds like a drum machine for a good minute, especially TWAT, maybe brain isnt putting in enough effort and trying to nail it on the actual drumset. frank was good when i saw him

That's because they're demos, and those are drum machines.

If I had to choose now I would go with Frank. He is a fantastic drummer and seems to have a great personality and interracts with the crowd a lot more.

Brain seems a far more reserved character and is another fantastic drummer. I would be more than pleased to have him along for the ride if that is what it to be.

Having seen Frank play recently, he certainly has the ability to recreate all the drumming sequences in all the songs. However, being able to recreate is not the sign of an excellent drummer. You have to be able to give music your own personal touch and stand out. Perhaps he has been instructed by Axl to only replicate though, and not try to deviate.

This thread is hypothetical as Frank is not going to get the chance to provide his creative touch to any current GNR music. Unless we actually heard the same song where they both play their own styles, its so hard to compare. Its hard to say is Frank or Brain the best at playing the drums on tracks that were wrote by other drummers (Sorum/Adler)!