Setlist and attitude don't mix anymore

fantomas

Don't take this as a bashing thread as it isn't. I'm a LONG time Gn'R fan. My thoughts are that now Axl is older and maturer does anyone else not buy the songs about drugs and such anymore?

I mean when I saw GnR in 89', I could see them singing "Out ta get me" and "Mr. Brownstone" as that was what GnR were all about, but I don't see that side of Axl anymore. He's supposedly drug free, so the meaning behind Mr. Brownstone is lost. Don't get me wrong, I love every song from AFD, but I think the message that the songs had doesn't translate anymore to someone who doesn't live that lifestyle. Face it folks, Axl has grown up on us :) I'd expect to see more maturer songs on the current tour from the UYI albums and quite frankly I'm really surprised to not see more of them.

I see people begging for Get in the Ring and such, but again, no longer relevant. I think it's important for Axl to plan a setlist that focuses on his maturity and growth.

This isn't an invitation for bashing, just a more in depth discussion on setlists and the thought that goes into them.

He's supposedly drug free, so the meaning behind Mr. Brownstone is lost.

What? Just look at any of the recent pics of Axl.... he's clearly coked out of his mind... Also Axl took a joint from someone in the crowd at the acoustic gig and smoked it...

What? Just look at any of the recent pics of Axl.... he's clearly coked out of his mind... Also Axl took a joint from someone in the crowd at the acoustic gig and smoked it...

That's really not fair to say. That's like just walking by someone on the street and saying, "they have AIDS." I don't think Axl is using cocaine nor would he nowadays.

That's really not fair to say. That's like just walking by someone on the street and saying, "they have AIDS." I don't think Axl is using cocaine nor would he nowadays.

Being a drug user and having AIDS are in two different catergories. If you don't think Axl is doing coke you are in denial.

Being a drug user and having AIDS are in two different catergories. If you don't think Axl is doing coke you are in denial.

It's a good thing that you can judge so much by pics :laugh:

Yeah, but there is an element of progress people want to hear too. Okay this is a bad comparisson, but I saw Poison on their 1999 reunion tour and the whole "party/sex/drugs'" thing was just old. A greatest hits tour is always fun, but you have to be able to move on from that at some point, especially as the band has a new line up. I want to hear Ron/Chris/Robin et al play their own music. The new band has some phenominal musicians and I want to hear what they can do! I'm really looking forward to a majority Chinese Democracy set!

Don't take this as a bashing thread as it isn't. I'm a LONG time Gn'R fan. My thoughts are that now Axl is older and maturer does anyone else not buy the songs about drugs and such anymore?

I mean when I saw GnR in 89', I could see them singing "Out ta get me" and "Mr. Brownstone" as that was what GnR were all about, but I don't see that side of Axl anymore. He's supposedly drug free, so the meaning behind Mr. Brownstone is lost. Don't get me wrong, I love every song from AFD, but I think the message that the songs had doesn't translate anymore to someone who doesn't live that lifestyle. Face it folks, Axl has grown up on us :) I'd expect to see more maturer songs on the current tour from the UYI albums and quite frankly I'm really surprised to not see more of them.

I see people begging for Get in the Ring and such, but again, no longer relevant. I think it's important for Axl to plan a setlist that focuses on his maturity and growth.

This isn't an invitation for bashing, just a more in depth discussion on setlists and the thought that goes into them.

i know what you mean, but i think he is still using drugs. i mean you look at his body shape at the 2002 VMAs then before the tour (maybe at onee of the NY gigs) and he is thinner. at the end of the tour he is even thinner, and i know touring makes you lose a few pounds but the transformation is drastic. heroin makes you thinner. and axl is getting much thinner. and look at dizzy. he's thin too. its obvious at least 2 members are on drugs.

What I think is wierd is how much the new members cant relate to these songs, but I see your point. It is a little strange.

That's why I don't think we've really seen the real GnR yet. I want to see what the other members have to offer shy of just strumming along. Of course, if it's another Silkworms, there's gonna be trouble lol :) You can't tell me that Ron/Robin/Tommy are feeling the music when he plays songs that Slash/Izzy/Duff made famous. I want to see them shine on their own compositions.

i know what you mean, but i think he is still using drugs. i mean you look at his body shape at the 2002 VMAs then before the tour (maybe at onee of the NY gigs) and he is thinner. at the end of the tour he is even thinner, and i know touring makes you lose a few pounds but the transformation is drastic. heroin makes you thinner. and axl is getting much thinner. and look at dizzy. he's thin too. its obvious at least 2 members are on drugs.

I dont think Axl is doing heroin, his weight loss since 02 is probably attributed to a work out routine.

What I think is wierd is how much the new members cant relate to these songs, but I see your point. It is a little strange.

That's why I don't think we've really seen the real GnR yet. I want to see what the other members have to offer shy of just strumming along. Of course, if it's another Silkworms, there's gonna be trouble lol :) You can't tell me that Ron/Robin/Tommy are feeling the music when he plays songs that Slash/Izzy/Duff made famous. I want to see them shine on their own compositions.

Same here. New band, new songs, and something everybody in the band can relate too. Until they do that we wont truley see this band come to life. Sure, its great to hear some songs from Axl's glory days, but the rest of the band is part of this too.

I dont think Axl is doing heroin, his weight loss since 02 is probably attributed to a work out routine.

Damn, I lost 15lbs this past year. I must be on heroine :)

How do you know if he is?

He's supposedly drug free, so the meaning behind Mr. Brownstone is lost.

You should work in British press, they also like to make up stories and spread bullshit rumours based on no facts. It fascinates me how people can assume things about persons they don't know based on nothing... Very intelligent.

That's the dumbest things I've heard. If bands should worry about how relevant their lyrics are comapred to the life they live we wouldn't hear much music at all...

Even if he doesn't do drugs anymore, doesn't mean he can't sing about it.

That's like saying he shouldn't sing SCOM anymore because he broke up with Erin. :tongue2:

Not very often I agree, but I agree with this. Who cares that he doesn't do heroin but still sings about it. The song is wicked live. Plus, many people believe that Axl is not drug free with all the talk about Splenda these days.

That's the dumbest things I've heard. If bands should worry about how relevant their lyrics are comapred to the life they live we wouldn't hear much music at all...

Always nice to be called dumb by a moderator. Appreciate that. What is wrong with having relevant lyrics?

:fuckyou: Market. It's also possible to get thinner when you exercise and work out your body.

Always nice to be called dumb by a moderator. Appreciate that. What is wrong with having relevant lyrics?

Sorry about that, nothing personal. Nothing wrong with having relevant lyrics and the AFD lyrics still are to all the old Gnr members, it was their life and history. Also, the audience and fans can very much relate to the lyrics so it's not just about the band. Therefore they should still be played.

I'm not saying to stop playing all of them mate, not at all. I'm just ready for the next era you know? GnR are now the current band, let's hear what they can do! While I love WTTJ, I'd love to hear a new CD song open the show.

Ok, gotcha. I hope there was a plan behind the setlist selection of the Europe/UK tour. I agree that with you that now is the time to show the world the new era and what Gnr can do musicwise.

I totally agree with you !

Right now I feel them a bit like a haunted band. I liked the fact that they played some new songs when I saw them live, but before seing them I felted like Axl has formed a tribute band to his own.

I also think that playing so many old songs is not fair for the new members, who are really talented and very promissing. Now that I felted the energy of the new members and Axl himself, I think that it's high time they release this album!!