Setlist and attitude don't mix anymore

fantomas

He's supposedly drug free, so the meaning behind Mr. Brownstone is lost.

What? Just look at any of the recent pics of Axl.... he's clearly coked out of his mind... Also Axl took a joint from someone in the crowd at the acoustic gig and smoked it...

You should work in British press, they also like to make up stories and spread bullshit rumours based on no facts. It fascinates me how people can assume things about persons they don't know based on nothing... Very intelligent.

?... Just read Cherries review from the acoustic gig.... :drevil: I'm not making up any stories. Although, i'm not so sure why you are getting so upset? :shocked:

What? Just look at any of the recent pics of Axl.... he's clearly coked out of his mind... Also Axl took a joint from someone in the crowd at the acoustic gig and smoked it...

You should work in British press, they also like to make up stories and spread bullshit rumours based on no facts. It fascinates me how people can assume things about persons they don't know based on nothing... Very intelligent.

?... Just read Cherries review from the acoustic gig.... :drevil: I'm not making up any stories. Although, i'm not so sure why you are getting so upset? :shocked:

I simply don't understand how you can say Axl is "coked out of his mind" just because he had a couple of drags of a supposed joint. I just don't like when people assume and speculate about things when there's really no facts. Besides, I think he looks great in the recent pictures I've seen.

Isn't it more likely Axl is an alcoholic since he spent $6000 on booze in 1 night? ;)

I simply don't understand how you can say Axl is "coked out of his mind" just because he had a couple of drags of a supposed joint. I just don't like when people assume and speculate about things when there's really no facts. Besides, I think he looks great in the recent pictures I've seen.

Isn't it more likely Axl is an alcoholic since he spent $6000 on booze in 1 night? ;)

I'm not saying he's coked out of his mind from one joint.... it's not even possible. Weed and coke are two different things. All that I am saying is that in these recent pics we've gotten, he DOES look like he's on coke.

I'm not saying he's coked out of his mind from one joint.... it's not even possible. Weed and coke are two different things. All that I am saying is that in these recent pics we've gotten, he DOES look like he's on coke.

You mentioned the joint, not me. Also, if Axl is so hooked on drugs as you say we would have noticed that during the shows. Well, I guess we disagree on this one.

Don't take this as a bashing thread as it isn't. I'm a LONG time Gn'R fan. My thoughts are that now Axl is older and maturer does anyone else not buy the songs about drugs and such anymore?

I mean when I saw GnR in 89', I could see them singing "Out ta get me" and "Mr. Brownstone" as that was what GnR were all about, but I don't see that side of Axl anymore. He's supposedly drug free, so the meaning behind Mr. Brownstone is lost. Don't get me wrong, I love every song from AFD, but I think the message that the songs had doesn't translate anymore to someone who doesn't live that lifestyle....

Oh please.

Axl hasn't changed that much from the old days. Don't forget -- this is the same guy who bit a security guard's leg and who was so hammered out of his mind that the police had to wait several hours for him to be coherent enough to question him about it. This is also the same Axl who stilll shows up hours late for shows, and who blows off fans who wait for him outside shows.

We'd all like to believe he's older and more mature - and maybe he is. But there are definitely signs that he hasn't changed that much. Just an observation.

As for the music, it's irrelevant whether he gets high or not. The music is relevant as long as people - the listeners - can relate to it.

That's the dumbest things I've heard. If bands should worry about how relevant their lyrics are compared to the life they live we wouldn't hear much music at all...

Thats the dumbest thing I've heard. Where do you think artists get the inspiration and ideas for their songs? :huh:

Setlist and Attitude--

I honestly kind of agree--but I don't think it would be as bad as if he tried to relase a song called "Lady Yayo" about cocaine as his first single, or if he tried to pretend he was still living the life of a badass youngin (coughmotleycruecough). I think part of Axl's major power is that he can change what he writes about.

But c'mon guys--if he stopped playing Welcome to the Jungle and Mr. Brownstone and Paradise City, there would be riots in the venue.

I personally don't care if its still relevant--I go to concerts for the music, and i personally LOVE being able to sing every song and not here the sound of my voice over the roar of the guitar and the singing of the vocalist.

But I woul be pissed if he wrote songs about all that shit that's no longer relevant.

And on to the debate on whether or not he's on drugs--it doesn't matter. As long as his drug use doesn't interfere with the touring/writing/production of America/Chinese Democracy (Respectively) it's no big deal. I don't worry about this shit, cuz worrying would be a waste of my fuckin time.

But if he collapses on stage and goes into withdrawals, or Chi-Dem gets delayed yet again, then his drug use is ap roblem.

~BRYAN

That's the dumbest things I've heard. If bands should worry about how relevant their lyrics are compared to the life they live we wouldn't hear much music at all...

Thats the dumbest thing I've heard. Where do you think artists get the inspiration and ideas for their songs? :huh:

Welcome to the thread. Today we're talking about setlists from yesterday vs. attitude of today.

Don't take this as a bashing thread as it isn't. I'm a LONG time Gn'R fan. My thoughts are that now Axl is older and maturer does anyone else not buy the songs about drugs and such anymore?

I mean when I saw GnR in 89', I could see them singing "Out ta get me" and "Mr. Brownstone" as that was what GnR were all about, but I don't see that side of Axl anymore. He's supposedly drug free, so the meaning behind Mr. Brownstone is lost. Don't get me wrong, I love every song from AFD, but I think the message that the songs had doesn't translate anymore to someone who doesn't live that lifestyle. Face it folks, Axl has grown up on us :) I'd expect to see more maturer songs on the current tour from the UYI albums and quite frankly I'm really surprised to not see more of them.

I see people begging for Get in the Ring and such, but again, no longer relevant. I think it's important for Axl to plan a setlist that focuses on his maturity and growth.

This isn't an invitation for bashing, just a more in depth discussion on setlists and the thought that goes into them.

hemm how long have you been a fan if you dont mind me asking?

Welcome to the thread. Today we're talking about setlists from yesterday vs. attitude of today.

Then you should have said something like, "those songs are Guns N' Roses classics, of course they will play them at their concerts whether they still live that life or not."

What you said was kinda messed up.

Edited by sweetness

I mean when I saw GnR in 89', I could see them singing "Out ta get me" and "Mr. Brownstone" as that was what GnR were all about, but I don't see that side of Axl anymore. He's supposedly drug free, so the meaning behind Mr. Brownstone is lost. Don't get me wrong, I love every song from AFD, but I think the message that the songs had doesn't translate anymore to someone who doesn't live that lifestyle. Face it folks, Axl has grown up on us :) I'd expect to see more maturer songs on the current tour from the UYI albums and quite frankly I'm really surprised to not see more of them.

I see people begging for Get in the Ring and such, but again, no longer relevant. I think it's important for Axl to plan a setlist that focuses on his maturity and growth.

This isn't an invitation for bashing, just a more in depth discussion on setlists and the thought that goes into them.

hemm how long have you been a fan if you dont mind me asking?

Since 1987 when I was 13, why?

You mentioned the joint, not me. Also, if Axl is so hooked on drugs as you say we would have noticed that during the shows. Well, I guess we disagree on this one.

Yeah I mentioned a joint. But never once did I say Axl looks coked out from a joint. You are putting words in my mouth.

Those songs might be fun to do as well. There's something un-rocking about the new songs, you can't open a show with "It don't really matter" - people will say "Ok see ya"

But GNR songs havent really all been about drugs. Not specifically, not really.

Edited by wasted

Oh please.

Axl hasn't changed that much from the old days. Don't forget -- this is the same guy who bit a security guard's leg and who was so hammered out of his mind that the police had to wait several hours for him to be coherent enough to question him about it. This is also the same Axl who stilll shows up hours late for shows, and who blows off fans who wait for him outside shows.

We'd all like to believe he's older and more mature - and maybe he is. But there are definitely signs that he hasn't changed that much. Just an observation.

As for the music, it's irrelevant whether he gets high or not. The music is relevant as long as people - the listeners - can relate to it.

Don't think I've ever been able to relate to a heroin binge or lobbing molotov cocktails, but hey, that's just me. :)

"I see you standin' there, you think your so cool"

"Why don't you just. FUCK OFF"

I don't care what anyone says, when they play It's So easy and Axl puts up the middle finger, the setlist fits the attitude. I see where you are coming from because it isn't the same as before. But we all know that already, so let's talk about the positive's! :)

Yeah I mentioned a joint. But never once did I say Axl looks coked out from a joint. You are putting words in my mouth.

You did say that Axl looks "coked out of his mind" and that if we think he isn't using cocaine we are in denial...yet you base this statement off of pictures

You did say that Axl looks "coked out of his mind" and that if we think he isn't using cocaine we are in denial...yet you base this statement off of pictures

Well? What else can anyone base it off of? I don't have a video of Axl doing a line, or an audio recording of Axl saying he does cocaine.. But I know what a person looks like when they are coked out, that is what Axl looked like.

Also, whether he is or not, that is the image of any rock star. But this isn't a band of 20 something hedonists. It's pretty hard to describe the new band. GNR was a no brainer rock n roll band from the music to the image. But now it's like GNR element crushed with the rest of 90s rock.

Well? What else can anyone base it off of? I don't have a video of Axl doing a line, or an audio recording of Axl saying he does cocaine.. But I know what a person looks like when they are coked out, that is what Axl looked like.

Just next time don't say that "if we think Axl isn't using cocaine then we are in denial." You saying Axl is on cocaine is an opinion...not a fact. Don't state your opinions as fact by saying we are in denial if we think he doesnt do cocaine, it sound pretty dick-ish.

I personally don't know if Axl is using cocaine, but I definetely think Axl smokes a joint every now and then. Axl said way back when in that old interview that a little weed balances him out mentally. I wouldn't be suprised if it was the same situation today.

But maybe I'm wrong and my opinion stinks as much as my asshole does. ya never know. B)

Edited by 3rd Wheel

Right.. having a joint in the evening makes you want to stay up all night at night clubs with models.

Splenda means pot. Sure.

Have you ever considered that he doesn't need anything to stay up at night clubs with models?

JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE LOSES WEIGHT AND HAS A COUPLE BAD PICTURES SNAPPED AND POSTED, DOES NOT MEAN THAT THAT PERSON IS DOING COKE.

He may be, he may not be, but in the end it's all about the music.

Edited by tippin

Right.. having a joint in the evening makes you want to stay up all night at night clubs with models.

Splenda means pot. Sure.

Have you ever considered that he doesn't need anything to stay up at night clubs with models?

If it was once a week it would be more believable. But a middle aged man out until the wee hours of the morning every night is a bit suspicious. I'm not saying he is or isn't on drugs, but it's not hard to see why people speculate.

Splenda means pot. Sure.

Yup, smoking a joint can make you tired, the opposite of helping you stay up all night. I wouldn't doubt if Axl dabbled in the Splenda. But, maybe it's just the Alcohol and Models. rock3