Rap took over because...

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why exactly do some of you think rock music is making a comeback? Exactly what are you hearing that makes you think this? I'm not going to say new good albums aren't coming out(they are) but they are from bands that have been around for a while. I haven't seen any good new bands in a long time.

When I turn on the radio to the "hard rock" stations I want to throw up. Bands right now are just as processed and fake as they were in the 80s metal scene and their music is just as forgettable. I love hearing people talk about music and they will hear a song and say "wow that old" when the song was released a year ago! Its crazy to think that the music is so bad that its only listenable for a few months.

What makes bands like Aerosmith, GNR, Led Zepp, is that they lived their music/image and in turn the music was genuine and real. Rock music is still in the gutter and probably will stay that way for some time to come. Something has to happen, the attitude has to change and it cant be from the mtv crowd(like 80s metal and 90s grunge and whatever the hell it is we have going on right now).

And no I don't listen to rap.

Edited by gnrrulz

I think "Drop It Like It's Hot" is brilliant, like all his singles from that album. Of course I type this after putting some System of a Down on, a group who are groundbreaking and awe-inspiring.

But if you look at it purely in MTV terms, I still prefer the Rap scene, mostly because of the presence of Pharrell, he's undeniable and I think he is holding Rap up in place of Eminem. And the most beautiful thing about him is how he's blurring lines, we don't even notice anymore when he's working with white or black artists. Overall I think Pharrell Williams is the most important man in music right now. If it weren't for him, Dirty South would rule and the mainstream would truly be in bad shape.

And Pharrell is not only great in rap producing, look at pop artists like Gwen Stefani, Black Eyed Peas etc. He did a great job on those, hell, I even heard he was working with Velvet Revolver. Pharrells new album is pretty much shit, mostly lounge r'n'b that I cant stand.

Another man that deserves credit is Timbaland, that guy is a hitmachine too.

I think "Drop It Like It's Hot" is brilliant, like all his singles from that album. Of course I type this after putting some System of a Down on, a group who are groundbreaking and awe-inspiring.

But if you look at it purely in MTV terms, I still prefer the Rap scene, mostly because of the presence of Pharrell, he's undeniable and I think he is holding Rap up in place of Eminem. And the most beautiful thing about him is how he's blurring lines, we don't even notice anymore when he's working with white or black artists. Overall I think Pharrell Williams is the most important man in music right now. If it weren't for him, Dirty South would rule and the mainstream would truly be in bad shape.

Haha then I think we have different ideas of what is good rap. I think of good rap as rap from the 90's, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Tupac., The Fugees..they actually rapped about real stuff and the music wasn't based around a catchy beat or heavily produced string instrumentals...it was based on their voices and ability to actually tell a story. Rappers today don't tell stories... they just sing about stupid stuff like girls and partying. Rap from the 90's wasn't meant to be played on the dance floor... it was meant to show you a different side of things.

Well said, can't agree more.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Haha then I think we have different ideas of what is good rap. I think of good rap as rap from the 90's, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Tupac., The Fugees..they actually rapped about real stuff and the music wasn't based around a catchy beat or heavily produced string instrumentals...it was based on their voices and ability to actually tell a story. Rappers today don't tell stories... they just sing about stupid stuff like girls and partying. Rap from the 90's wasn't meant to be played on the dance floor... it was meant to show you a different side of things.

Well said, can't agree more.

Well I don't agree, because above all else Rap is now a Pop music, and a Dance music. And it serves those functions well enough. The lyrics have been simplified, but the instrumentals are getting wilder and more innovative.

Of course, everything I type has to include "except Dirty South".

I have to half heartedly agree with gnrulz... rock music is in bad shape, with bands like seether and good charlette.. and the metal scene isnt lookin too good either... bands like soulfly and devildriver, everybody trying to sound like the tazz manian devil when they sing, and it's all about who is faster and lets play the same riff that everybody before us has played.. and the drummer's just tryin to play asfast as he can and no steady beat.. but I think the next generation of metal/hard rock bands will be something completely different... with the things that slipknot are doing, like virus of life the way the beat is just a slow steady, almost stalking like sound... or the almost rap sound to no life and spit it out.. combining the anger and sound of metal, with the fast flowing of rap, ontop of a killer sound... I know this isn't a metal fan heaven.. but the things this band has done, and are doing with just sound.. bringing in rattling chains in prosthetics and keeping the intro beat with kegs.. not to mention the use of the kegs in a few of their songs... and the melodic sounds of vermillion parts one and two... mixed with that personal emotion in the two songs, while managing to keep it metal and the two songs relivant to each other.. It's really amazing.. and some fans are going to pick up on that and take it four or five steps further.. and there's Corey's side project stonesour.. which is metal for girls I think..lol.. I think is leading the way in just hard rock.. his lyrics are great and real personal.. the music is kept away from any slipknot sound.. you got mudvayne, with the offbeat drummer, and Chad's amazing vocals, and his ability to make his lyrics pure poetry... you also have some bands teaming up with other bands... there's some really badass metal and hard rock bands out there.. you just ahve to weed thru the shit and keep an open mind.. look past the image if you're not into it, and just listen to the words to some of the more meaningful songs.. listen to the innovative shit they're doing.. i'm telin you it's mind blowing, and it may not mena shit now, but it will in time... there's a band out there now, diggin this shit and pushin it further, doing crazy shit makin some badass music... they just havent been found yet..

Rap is crap.

R&B is hooray for tolerance!-y.

Slayer is even gayer.

Awesome, couldn't have said it any better. :rofl-lol:

Also ooggieboogie please don't agree with me and then say slipknot is the future of rock. If thats the future of rock then in 20-30 years when all the old rockers from the 70's are dead then were fucked. Their music is just as aweful as the others.