What do you think of Gn'R new material?

dastco1986

I've heard several of the bands new material and think its great but I went to the gig in Nottingham and the crowd were dead. You pay that fuckin money to stand there n do nothin. I felt 4 the band. They're more than Paradise City n Sweet Child. I've heard songs: Chinese Democracy, IRS, Better, There Was A Time, The Blues, Rhaids and the Bedouins, Silkworms n Madagascar. Not all at Nottm.

It was great to see Izzy Stradlin there, and to stay n do five songs.

I'm a fan of Robin Finck, I like the guitaring in 'Better' and 'There Was A Time'.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard several of the bands new material and think its great but I went to the gig in Nottingham and the crowd were dead. You pay that fuckin money to stand there n do nothin. I felt 4 the band. They're more than Paradise City n Sweet Child. I've heard songs: Chinese Democracy, IRS, Better, There Was A Time, The Blues, Rhaids and the Bedouins, Silkworms n Madagascar. Not all at Nottm.

It was great to see Izzy Stradlin there, and to stay n do five songs.

I'm a fan of Robin Finck, I like the guitaring in 'Better' and 'There Was A Time'.

welcome to mygnrforum :)

I think the problem is most of the people in the crowd didn't know the new stuff. Once the album is out, the new material will get a much better reception from the crowd. Better and IRS are both amazing live! Its cool you got to see the band, I saw them in New York before they went to Europe.

And yes Robin is an awesome underrated guitarist. Once GNR does a full tour of the states and releases the album, he will get the respect he deserves.

i hate those songs they're awful, they are so uncatchy and the lyrics are awful, the guitars are lacking any talent and the singer just doesnt sing high enough

im starting to think those 30 year old sex deprived guys who live in their mothers basement surviving on government funded cheese on the ebaums world forum are right, yep, all five of them

The demos have been far from awful, and the lyrics are top notch. Have you heard I.R.S. ? Axl hits some pretty high ones.

i hate those songs they're awful, they are so uncatchy and the lyrics are awful, the guitars are lacking any talent and the singer just doesnt sing high enough

im starting to think those 30 year old sex deprived guys who live in their mothers basement surviving on government funded cheese on the ebaums world forum are right, yep, all five of them

The demos have been far from awful, and the lyrics are top notch. Have you heard I.R.S. ? Axl hits some pretty high ones.

wow you really missed out on my sarcasm didnt you?

well to be fair its hard to interpet someone's attitude with just text. you might say something and it means something to you, and someone else might take it completely different.

well to be fair its hard to interpet someone's attitude with just text. you might say something and it means something to you, and someone else might take it completely different.

very true, but, i think you should have been able to tell by the not singing high enough or the thing about the guys at ebaums world

Apparently, but it's all in good fun.

Apparently, but it's all in good fun.

yeah its all good bro

The demo's are good. Axl's voice was on top form in the bootlegs concert's i've been to...

I still don't know why they have 7 band members like but whatever. They're making some pretty decent music. However i'm more excited about the up coming VR album

EDIT: Yeah, i agree Robin is an underrated guitarist but at the same time he isn't anything spectacular like Jimmy Page or anything

Edited by Crash Diet

rated best to worst:

1. madagascar- the way it's been sung on this year's tour

2. the blues- new intro without guitar is brilliant

3. better- all around good song, still not liking the guitar part in the middle

4. twat- will be a killer song after production

5. irs- sounds great and i love the guitar work, 3rd verse is huge around 2:20 mark

6. chinese democracy- it's been changed so many times can't wait to hear the final mix

7. catcher in the rye- good song but not their best work, sounds like a tv theme song

8. rhyad- would need a lot of work done to it to impress me, hope it is scrapped

9. silkworms- i hope this song was a joke, my world is far better than this garbage

The only leak I really like is probably TWAT. People say its one of the worst, but Finck really does a nice job and he lays down some well written guitar solos.

Better has some pretty cool chord progression in the main riff, but I hate the intro and after thinking about it, even Axls melody isnt that good in it.

IRS has some wierd ass lyrics, but musicaly its a pretty cool song. Im starting to like Fincks guitar solo on the 2nd leak version of it, way more than Bucketheads shredding bullshit. :sleeper: I think it will be the single.

Catcher In The Rye sounds verry overproduced, but its cool to listen to Brian may play along with Axl Rose.

The new material is very good, although I must admit, nothing quite grabs me the way the old material did. I think it' just so refreshing to hear Axl again that we automatically conclude the material is amazing. Although sometimes I find myself listening to Estranged and know deep down inside that this new band has nothing that even comes close to the feeling and emotion in that song. Take the blues for example; the lyrics are great, but the song just doesn't move me the way Estranged or November Rain, or Don't Cry did...I think a lot has to do with the guitar work. Slash is really the best fit for Axl and without him, the new guys, while talented, are not rearly as skilled at writing amazing solos.

It's going to be interesting when the album finally does come out to see how it's received. Personally, I think Axl waited WAY TOO LONG and people just don't care anymore. If it was 2001-2002, I think the reaction would have been better...but now, he just doesn't have following he used to, and his new image isn't going to win over anyone.

I still think he looks retarded dressed like a Dolce & Gabbana salesman.

The new material is very good, although I must admit, nothing quite grabs me the way the old material did. I think it' just so refreshing to hear Axl again that we automatically conclude the material is amazing. Although sometimes I find myself listening to Estranged and know deep down inside that this new band has nothing that even comes close to the feeling and emotion in that song. Take the blues for example; the lyrics are great, but the song just doesn't move me the way Estranged or November Rain, or Don't Cry did...I think a lot has to do with the guitar work. Slash is really the best fit for Axl and without him, the new guys, while talented, are not rearly as skilled at writing amazing solos.

It's going to be interesting when the album finally does come out to see how it's received. Personally, I think Axl waited WAY TOO LONG and people just don't care anymore. If it was 2001-2002, I think the reaction would have been better...but now, he just doesn't have following he used to, and his new image isn't going to win over anyone.

I still think he looks retarded dressed like a Dolce & Gabbana salesman.

I thought you were put on read only? Welcome back dude

And I also agree, the new material isnt half bad but it isnt better than anything Guns has put out before.

'Better' is the obvious single based on what we have heard thus far.

'IRS' and 'There Was A Time' are great tunes, but not single material.

'Catcher In The Rye' is a mess. The song has no flow and comes on a bit forced at the end with the "na, na, na" stuff.

the first single is not going to be something we've heard before. it has to be a song that will blow everyone's head clean off or else the momentum will be lost. i would definitely release a hard rocking anthem or an epic that no one has heard before that is locked in axl's vault.

the first single is not going to be something we've heard before. it has to be a song that will blow everyone's head clean off or else the momentum will be lost. i would definitely release a hard rocking anthem or an epic that no one has heard before that is locked in axl's vault.

i wonder what else is locked up in axls vault

:scared:

I think the new songs would sound really cool with e few good musicians....... rock1

Man, I wish Slash was still in the band.

There would probably be peace in the middle east if he was. Probably wouldn't have this pesky heat wave either.

So many missed opportunities.

Better: Has great potential to be the first sngle off of CD. Once the fans know it, it'll be a stadium anthem'

There Was A Time: The live intro makes the song sound more epic, though the intro only lasts about 10 seconds. Its better than the drum-machine beat in the leak.

IRS: Is probably going to turn out a filler song. Not the best of the new songs, and I wouldnt be surprised if it didnt even make CD.

Madagascar: A really great, epic, meaningful, thought-provoking song. The vocal arrangement is very good. And the intro is just perfectly fitted for the song. Should be a single.

The Blues: The intro from the 2002 version is better by far than the intro we're now used to in 2006. It just adds that extra 'umph' to the song.

Chinese Democracy: A very catch riff, but sadly it is overshadowed by the quite abysmal lyrics. A real shame of some good guitar work.

Rhiad And The Bedouins: Considering what we've heard of it is real shitty audio quality, it sounds quite good. The solo could have some more thought put into it, as the current solo is just buckethead shredding.

Silkworms: More poor lyrics, the slower part of the song (about 2 minutes in) is very good and flows well, but the song should be given some serious thought.

Catcher In The Rye: A really, really spectacular song. It could be one of the leading singles and should definately be on CD.

Obviously the fans dont know the songs, so its not neccesarily unappreciation of the songs, its just they dont recognize them.

My thoughts on the new songs have changed slightly over time, but here are my current opinions:

Better: Catchy, and sure to be a hit of sorts, but I'm kind of burnt out on it - It's a good tune, but it has the shortest lasting power of the new songs.

There Was A Time: Amazing. Love the new live intro. Lyrically and musically spectacular.

IRS: As far as the demo goes, it's average. Live, however, this song has a very cool vibe and sounds very moody. Here's hoping we get something similar to the current 06 version on the record.

Madagascar: Masterpiece - The first New-GNR song I'd heard, and it's just an incredible piece of work.

The Blues: Perfect in 2001, slightly less perfect in 2002, but disappointing without the powerful opening in 2006. This is the one song that I'm hoping returns to its former perfection.

Chinese Democracy: Awesome intro, much improved from earlier versions. Catchy stuff, and a cool outro.

Rhiad And The Bedouins: Lots of potential, so we'll see - At the moment, it's just average.

Silkworms: Obviously a work in progress, but this song is interesting - It reminds me of what "You're Crazy" would sound like as a punky electronica experiment. Lyrically bad, but musically, they've got something with this one.

Catcher In The Rye: Wonderful, if overproduced to the max - But even so, it's a beautiful and lyrically excellent song - One of the best GNR, in any incarnation, has ever come up with.

Ultimately, some songs have truly seen some improvements (Chinese Democracy's intro, Madagascar's final verse), but I'm still not sold on the new version of The Blues. Overall though, I like most of the songs - Here's hoping the very best versions are chosen.

Edited by EccoTides

The songs are good, but I dont think that it will ever fulfil the hype that surrounds it. AFD is one of the best Rock Albums ever, so making comparisons is absurd. AFD is the best GNR album you will ever hear, it doesnt get any better than that!

All I can say, is that I hope the songs that were leaked were not the best, but how many songs are people expecting? I must have heard around 10 demo's. Surely its not going to be a 20 song album, so I am afraid we may have already heard the best...

Whatever the outcome, I will still proclaim GNR to be the best Rock Band I have ever heard and seen...