EMO MUSIC?????????

rock chick

I'm confused :confused: ....can someone please, please tell me what Emo music is, what they listen to etc, there are loads of kids where I live calling themselves Emo's but everyone has a different opinion of what they are into. Can someone please clarify this for me just so I know.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I hate the term and don't use it at all myself I do believe it's generaly self-pity inspired rock that is actualy pure marketing directed at insecure kids who are having a hard time dealing with puberty.

ok thanks, do you know what bands are'emo' bands, personally I hate it when things get classified like this but I was just curious

Most people confuse pop-punk, emo, and indie rock.

Emo is emotive hardcore punk, like Jimmy Eat World and Fugazi, Pop-Punk is Green Day, Weezer, Fallout Boy, My Chemical Romance. And indie rock is bands lik Death Cab for Cutie, etc.

Now, because Fallout Boy and My Chemical Romance have lots of emo influences, people call them emo, when they aren't at all. Weezer is a cheerful band, but the music they play is a poppish version of punk, while Green Day are punk revivalists who made their music more accessible to 'skater' kids by adding a pop element. Green Day only begun acting 'emo' very recently, and they are anything but emo, and were strictly followers of the Sex Pistols, the Ramones, Misfits, etc. when they began. Indie rock's introspective nature causes many 'emo' people to listen to them, which is why some indie rock bands are known as emo.

So, in reality, emo is the least popular style of music right now, but considered the most popular, when it is pop-punk that is actually dominating the airwaves.

so is Bullet for My Valentine classed as emo or not?

Bullet for My Valentine is metalcore, like early Avenged Sevenfold, metalcore is a cross between hardcore punk and metal.

Most people confuse pop-punk, emo, and indie rock.

Emo is emotive hardcore punk, like Jimmy Eat World and Fugazi, Pop-Punk is Green Day, Weezer, Fallout Boy, My Chemical Romance. And indie rock is bands lik Death Cab for Cutie, etc.

Now, because Fallout Boy and My Chemical Romance have lots of emo influences, people call them emo, when they aren't at all. Weezer is a cheerful band, but the music they play is a poppish version of punk, while Green Day are punk revivalists who made their music more accessible to 'skater' kids by adding a pop element. Green Day only begun acting 'emo' very recently, and they are anything but emo, and were strictly followers of the Sex Pistols, the Ramones, Misfits, etc. when they began. Indie rock's introspective nature causes many 'emo' people to listen to them, which is why some indie rock bands are known as emo.

So, in reality, emo is the least popular style of music right now, but considered the most popular, when it is pop-punk that is actually dominating the airwaves.

so is Bullet for My Valentine classed as emo or not?

Bullet for My Valentine is metalcore, like early Avenged Sevenfold, metalcore is a cross between hardcore punk and metal.

EMO is GAY period! FUCK EMO! if u dress emo, wear eyeliner and shit, ur gonna get ur ass kicked if u come to rock shows! enough said.

And Bullet for my valentine is fucking screamo. They fucking dress emo, sing about emo topics, but they just scream instead of singing.

ok thanks, do you know what bands are'emo' bands, personally I hate it when things get classified like this but I was just curious

Funeral for a friend

Fall out boy

Hawthorne heights

Lots more...

Thursday

Motion City Soundtrack

The Used

The Spill Canvas

Dashboard Confessional

My Chemical Romance

Panic! At The Disco

Jimmy Eat World

The Get Up Kids

Alkaline Trio

Pedro The Lion

Sunny Day Real Estate

some bands are good. some bands suck

EMO is GAY period! FUCK EMO! if u dress emo, wear eyeliner and shit, ur gonna get ur ass kicked if u come to rock shows! enough said.

And Bullet for my valentine is fucking screamo. They fucking dress emo, sing about emo topics, but they just scream instead of singing.

I only like Weezer and Green Day out of all the bands I just mentioned. I hate Fallout Boy for instance.

BFMV are metalcore. You can say Green Day are emo all you want, but they're not gonna change into emo all of a sudden. Screamo is generally more depressing and heavier than BFMV.

I only like Weezer and Green Day out of all the bands I just mentioned. I hate Fallout Boy for instance.

BFMV are metalcore. You can say Green Day are emo all you want, but they're not gonna change into emo all of a sudden. Screamo is generally more depressing and heavier than BFMV.

I do like Greenday, but it's a shame when people won't give music a chance because of it's genre

Emo is for little kids in there teens who havent developed a taste in music. Or are just for cunts.

Emo music and Utter wank.

stop trying to put it in differnt catorgys like pop-punk ect.

It doesnt make it any better.

Its emo get over it you cunts

Emo's basically take the piss of proper emotional music.

The only reason its so popular is because its always on tv, bands that are always on tv look cool.

Then you get a bunch of poser skank whores on myspace, posting shite blogs about how there pet hamster just died and how there boyfreinds got run over by a parked bus.

They piss me off :anger:

Simply it's 'emotional' rock/punk.. :confused::tongue2:

Bullshit.

All good music is emotional. Music IS emotion.

But emotion is more then played self-pity directed to market the kids.

Have to agree with username on this one- all music has emotion in it, different amounts and different kinds of emotions.

Emo on the other hand has a kind of emotion that depresses me. <_<

EMO is patthetic end of. It annoys me talking about them sometimes it's so pathetic there pussies who think it's cool to do shit like cry after gigs half of the "emos" from where i live aren't even emo there wannabes they dress emo nothing more :angry:

Edited by Axel1304

EMO is patthetic end of. It annoys me talking about them sometimes it's so pathetic there pussies who think it's cool to do shit like cry after gigs half of the "emos" from where i live aren't even emo there wannabes they dress emo nothing more :angry:

Yeah, weget them here, and absoulutely everyone hates them exept the othr wanna be emos :anger:

i'll try to be objective in my assessment of the cultural pheonomenon called 'emo'

well...to begin with, the music that the bands have their roots in 80s post-punk era deriving some characteristics such as frank lyrics and simplistic rhythm guitar and barely any instrumentation breaks or soloing due to the revolution of thought at the time thinking it bombastic and unnecessary.

but the difference here than the post-punk music is that this is post-nirvana age which has since warped melodies and made it easier to have songs that lack melodies and still be popular. although it is possible for vivid melodies to poke through, (usually in descending pattern and sorrowful as the music calls for) it is rare.

another difference is production. the newer age production gives a certain tint of gloss over the music to give a modern feel which leads to and easier sellability for moneymakers such as mtv. the music communities generally frown upon the nature of the genre for a lack of talent needed to sell the music, but they are usually the poor musicians anyways.

sidenote: it is not only a musical production but rather a cultural center of thought which has it's own sense of mellodrama and views on love- which is in the vein of pain=pleasure. cutting and self-pity are trends along with lesbianism and flamboyancy to attract the other sex :question:

also they dance funny.

Yeah, weget them here, and absoulutely everyone hates them exept the othr wanna be emos :anger:

I'm curious... what (to the both of you) defines someone as an "emo". And I mean a person.

Is there even a clear definition of it?

Or is it the next fashion thing after "nu-metal"?

posers who wear make up gel there hair and listen to gay music.

I'm curious... what (to the both of you) defines someone as an "emo". And I mean a person.

Is there even a clear definition of it?

Or is it the next fashion thing after "nu-metal"?

posers who wear make up gel there hair and listen to gay music.

Not a very clear definition man. Gothics wear makeup. Hell, even 80's metal fans wore makeup. And a lot of people use gel in their hair. When thinking "gay" music I think about The Village People and also songs like Relax from Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

who cares what anyone wears? i honestly couldn't give a shit if they all wore tutu dresses...sure it might be awkward on first glance but if they were interesting to talk to...why not the tutu dress?

Edited by stevGNR666

Not being harsh or anything but there are some very stupid phrases being spouted here. By dissing emo because of bands like Fallout Boy is like dissing classic rock because of the Darkness.

Click here for a pretty good assessment on the origins of emo

hey! i wasn't too off with the roots being in the 80s "post-punk" era :)

Not being harsh or anything but there are some very stupid phrases being spouted here. By dissing emo because of bands like Fallout Boy is like dissing classic rock because of the Darkness.

Click here for a pretty good assessment on the origins of emo

hey! i wasn't too off with the roots being in the 80s "post-punk" era :)

Haha don't worry, I wasn't talking about your post really, it was one of the better ones in the thread.