EMO MUSIC?????????

rock chick

Simply it's 'emotional' rock/punk.. :confused::tongue2:

Bullshit.

All good music is emotional. Music IS emotion.

But emotion is more then played self-pity directed to market the kids.

See that is the joke :P

It's called emotional whatever which I too think is complete bs. Like you said music is emotion. nuff said. :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emo is completely meaningless. Fallout Boy are just another pop-punk band (and don't going saying "the sex pistols would turn in their graves" because softcore bands like these never claim to have anything to do with old-school punk aside from the fact that they play predominantly with power chords), Jimmy Eat World are just catchy pop song writers, Funeral For A Friend have more in common with Iron Maiden (they're one of Steven Harris' fave bands) and BFMV are just another Metalcore band (like trivium, A7X, Killswitch Engage et all).

Baring in mind the huge disparities between these artists you can conclude that the only thing that makes a band emo is introverted lyrics, and that's hardly new is it?

There is no emo.

Simply it's 'emotional' rock/punk.. :confused::tongue2:

Bullshit.

All good music is emotional. Music IS emotion.

But emotion is more then played self-pity directed to market the kids.

Exactly. I freakin hate that term and I've actually never heard anyone in real life use it. The whole thing is ridiculous and the record companies are taking advantage of miserable teenagers.

Everyone has a different explanation about what the word really means and stands for.

I thought this was a good one. :)

Since the late 90s, though, bands have been emerging in the vein of Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard

Confessional, and the thousands of their clones. As far as I can tell, some lazy journalist somewhere, writing

an article about them, decided "Well, fuck, no one knows what emo is anyways, so I'll call these

bands "emo" - sounds more appealing than bubblegum pop rock..." and the spiral continued downwards into

the current amalgomation of bands MTV has told everyone is "emo."

Somehow, people decided that "emo" meant "emotional," which is obviously bullshit, as 99% of bands make

music to illicit emotion, which would make "emotional" a completely all-encompassing genre from classical to

opera to pop to rap.

Source: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=emo

Fuck emo and pop punk! I dont give a shit about the definition of emo or that crap, if u look emo or wear gay emo shirts, dont come to our concerts or your gonna get kicked in the face!

Thats why society is so fucked, kids shouldnt be listening to emo and pop punk, they should be listening to Emperor, Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, Gorgoroth, Enslaved or good old Venom!!!

BLACK metal will cure all of society's problems!

Fuck emo and pop punk! I dont give a shit about the definition of emo or that crap, if u look emo or wear gay emo shirts, dont come to our concerts or your gonna get kicked in the face!

Thats why society is so fucked, kids shouldnt be listening to emo and pop punk, they should be listening to Emperor, Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, Gorgoroth, Enslaved or good old Venom!!!

Funny how you hate something you can't even define what it is.

Sounds pretty narrow-minded to me.

Also stop spewing that crap about metal.

Seriously, it's completely unfounded shite.

Most of that stuff just craps about evil, death and seems ooohhh so badass.

Quite honestly it's narrowminded pretentious crap with no real thought or message in it.

Solve problems my ass.

not to be a cheeky fucker or anything ron, but have you ever sat through a whole black metal song?

Guest Jack_the_ripper
Most people confuse pop-punk, emo, and indie rock.

Emo is emotive hardcore punk, like Jimmy Eat World and Fugazi, Pop-Punk is Green Day, Weezer, Fallout Boy, My Chemical Romance. And indie rock is bands lik Death Cab for Cutie, etc.

Now, because Fallout Boy and My Chemical Romance have lots of emo influences, people call them emo, when they aren't at all. Weezer is a cheerful band, but the music they play is a poppish version of punk, while Green Day are punk revivalists who made their music more accessible to 'skater' kids by adding a pop element. Green Day only begun acting 'emo' very recently, and they are anything but emo, and were strictly followers of the Sex Pistols, the Ramones, Misfits, etc. when they began. Indie rock's introspective nature causes many 'emo' people to listen to them, which is why some indie rock bands are known as emo.

So, in reality, emo is the least popular style of music right now, but considered the most popular, when it is pop-punk that is actually dominating the airwaves.

so is Bullet for My Valentine classed as emo or not?

Bullet for My Valentine is metalcore, like early Avenged Sevenfold, metalcore is a cross between hardcore punk and metal.

wow, I personally gain more respect for you daily. Put things into words, often many people call me ''emo'' for liking bands like Death Cab for Cutie, or The Frames, when really they are Indie.

oh and Fall Out Boys greatest influence is the smiths and greenday, not emo music.

Funny how you hate something you can't even define what it is.

Sounds pretty narrow-minded to me.

Also stop spewing that crap about metal.

Seriously, it's completely unfounded shite.

Most of that stuff just craps about evil, death and seems ooohhh so badass.

Quite honestly it's narrowminded pretentious crap with no real thought or message in it.

Solve problems my ass.

not to be a cheeky fucker or anything ron, but have you ever sat through a whole black metal song?

Fair enough question mate.

Yes I have, and they are some of the worst experiences I've had in life :P

Sorry, that really was a cheapshot. :unsure:

Yes I have. I've listened to some songs, and to some albums actualy. I've looked through some artwork and read some of the lyrics. I'll admit Slayer for example does have some ok stuff musicaly. Does CoB count as black metal? I'm not good at metal subgenres. Anyway, I absolutely love them as long as the singer shuts the hell up. But musicaly I fucking love CoB's first three albums for example. Some of the bands this guy named though (especialy gorgoroth - I so fucking hate those idiots) don't even have anything to do with music for me. The best "sollution for societies problems" I've heard them come up with are when the devil rules the world and everybody get's slaughtered. Generaly I find the lyrics thoughtless, offensive to others, pointless and very very meaningless. Absolute shite. Pretentious evil with no point or meaning. The artwork, live shows and images of the band mostly reenforces this idea. Also, lyrics are things I can generaly understand. Not a guy vommiting up his intenstines.

So yes, some credits here and there musicaly. The rest is shite.

And please don't say how it could solve ANY problems because it's generaly empty music.

Sorry mate, jmo.

i cant say ive heard any metal were guys sing about spewwing up there intestines.

i can also honestly say im not very good with subgenres either :ph34r:

I think CoB are melodic death..

emo is hardcore punk??

not the hardcore punk I grew up on!

emo's about as hardcore as a bowl of oatmeal

Emotive hardcore punk is an offshoot of regular hardcore, which found bands opting to replace the screaming vocals with softer, regular vocals while also softening the music itself while keeping it quite intricate.

Real emo music is quite intricate and hard to play, while pop-punk, much like punk is relatively easy to play and much less intricate.

It's Really hard to explain.

It's a type of music, a class of people, and a type of clothes.

Its really a way for stupid little kids to dress stupid, have a stupid hairstyle, listen to shite music and act as if they are really 'depressed' and 'heart broken' and talk about why 'lift is so terrible. And are really just all around cunts.

Here are some pics :) .

emo-hairfull.jpg

emo.jpg

Its really a way for stupid little kids to dress stupid, have a stupid hairstyle, listen to shite music and act as if they are really 'depressed' and 'heart broken' and talk about why 'lift is so terrible. And are really just all around cunts.

emo-hairfull.jpg

emo.jpg

hahaha the top picture... :rofl-lol:

:mellow:

Ok, I just read all tihs and everyone blindly bashing all "emo" music is really doing my head in.

I mean, I have one of the MCR albums, and it's not all depressing and slit-your-wrists-while-you-listen music, there are some amazing songs on there!

As much as I hate the term and don't use it at all myself I do believe it's generaly self-pity inspired rock that is actualy pure marketing directed at insecure kids who are having a hard time dealing with puberty.

Like Limp Bizkit's album The Chocolate Starfish And Hotdog Flavoured Water :drevil:

EDIT: Eskimo your frequent comments in various threads are uncalled for and pointless.

Edited by Calm Like A Bomb

emo-hairfull.jpg

emo.jpg

the top pic looks like my friend John except he has no lip piercings.

ok thanks, do you know what bands are'emo' bands, personally I hate it when things get classified like this but I was just curious

Funeral for a friend

Fall out boy

Hawthorne heights

Lots more...

Thursday

Motion City Soundtrack

The Used

The Spill Canvas

Dashboard Confessional

My Chemical Romance

Panic! At The Disco

Jimmy Eat World

The Get Up Kids

Alkaline Trio

Pedro The Lion

Sunny Day Real Estate

some bands are good. some bands suck

panic aren't emo, in my opinion. I love P!atd but I'm not emo.

Ehh. A lot of you are wrong on the emo bands...

Panic! At the Disco, Fall Out Boy, and All American Rejects are NOT emo bands. They're pop rock with a bit of post-hardcore and indie influence (at least Fall Out Boy is).

Emo is Hawthorne Heights, Atreyu, Saosin, My Chemical Romance.

Emo and Pop Rock don't sound alike at all.

Edited by Shia0bundan

Oh, yeah, I recently discovered that all emo-bands have stupid names.

AND have very long..stupid names for songs

eg

Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying (Do Your Part To Save The Scene And Stop Going To Shows)

I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me

and Our Lawyer Made Us Change The Name Of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued

:fuckyou: