GNR Football Matchup

buzzkillz

There's a constant comparison that will always come up between the "New" GNR vs the "Old" GNR. It comes from each side, both people who think the new guys are better as well as the ones who think the old guys are. This will always be debated when there is such a difference in members. I decided to break it down, like in (American) Football, by individual matchups. Member vs Member. Ill even rank it from a live standpoint and throw out the recorded contributions ("guest appearances don't count").

30 Year Old Axl vs 45 year old Axl: Though he's probably more consistent nowadays, but its sure hard to deny what Axl WAS. His angst and energy onstage is nowhere near what it used to be, the way he would run across the stage and belt it out. I'd take the younger Axl and all the added problems that come along with him.

Slash vs Bumblefoot/Robin Finck: Slash is considered one of the greatest guitarists of ALL TIME and has played with numerous music projects live and on record. Bumblefoot's biggest accomplishment is a recommendation from Joe Satriani. Finck played with NIN but had little creative input. Slash, no doubt.

Izzy/Gilby vs Fortus: Izzy's role in GNR can't be overstated and speaks for itself. Gilby and Fortus's background are similar, both coming from little known bands. Difference is really that Gilby (like Dizzy) was from the club days of GNR and was Slash's 1st choice to replace Izzy. It was Brain's suggestion to bring in Fortus. Fortus is probably a better lead player, but the nod goes to Izzy/Gilby here.

Sorum vs Brain: Sorum played for GNR, The Cult, and VR and was definitely an upgrade over Adler live. Brain's biggest claim to fame was a 3 year stint in Primus. Sorum, who helped elevate GNR into a stadium act, takes it.

Dizzy/Teddy Andreas vs Dizzy/Chris Pittman: Does it really matter?

Setlists: Definitely gotta go with the Old GNR here. At least changing up the show opener would be good, much less the same songs everynight.

Bottom Line: The "New GNR" have some awfully large shoes to fill. I don't believe there is any comparison right now. That's not to say that things won't change, however, the picture will clear up with an album being released and more songs added to the live set.

Edited by buzzkillz

The new gnr havnt been known for that long!

the old gnr have been around for decades so you cant really compare with claims to fame

Last time I checked, Brain, Stinson, Dizzy and Flinck have have all been in the band for going on 7 years, which is longer than Matt Sorum or Gilby and as long as Izzy.

There's a constant comparison that will always come up between the "New" GNR vs the "Old" GNR. It comes from each side, both people who think the new guys are better as well as the ones who think the old guys are. This will always be debated when there is such a difference in members. I decided to break it down, like in (American) Football, by individual matchups. Member vs Member. Ill even rank it from a live standpoint and throw out the recorded contributions ("guest appearances don't count").

30 Year Old Axl vs 45 year old Axl: Though he's probably more consistent nowadays, but its sure hard to deny what Axl WAS. His angst and energy onstage is nowhere near what it used to be, the way he would run across the stage and belt it out. I'd take the younger Axl and all the added problems that come along with him.

Slash vs Bumblefoot/Robin Finck: Slash is considered one of the greatest guitarists of ALL TIME and has played with numerous music projects live and on record. Bumblefoot's biggest accomplishment is a recommendation from Joe Satriani. Finck played with NIN but had little creative input. Slash, no doubt.

Izzy/Gilby vs Fortus: Izzy's role in GNR can't be overstated and speaks for itself. Gilby and Fortus's background are similar, both coming from little known bands. Difference is really that Gilby (like Dizzy) was from the club days of GNR and was Slash's 1st choice to replace Izzy. It was Brain's suggestion to bring in Fortus. Fortus is probably a better lead player, but the nod goes to Izzy/Gilby here.

Sorum vs Brain: Sorum played for GNR, The Cult, and VR and was definitely an upgrade over Adler live. Brain's biggest claim to fame was a 3 year stint in Primus. Sorum, who helped elevate GNR into a stadium act, takes it.

Setlists: Definitely gotta go with the Old GNR here. At least changing up the show opener would be good, much less the same songs everynight.

Bottom Line: The "New GNR" have some awfully large shoes to fill. I don't believe there is any comparison right now. That's not to say that things won't change, however, the picture will clear up with an album being released and more songs added to the live set.

You won't get any argument from me that the old band is superior to the new one. Hell, the old GN'R was superior to everything IMO. So it's no insult to come in 2nd place when your competition is Axl, Slash, Izzy/Gilby, Duff, and Steven/Matt.

Anyways, the new band is no slouch.

But what you've done with some of those comparisons is looking at stuff that probably shouldn't matter. Brain's claim to fame is Primus, Matt from The Cult. You aren't looking at who the better drummer is. It doesn't really matter where a guy came from or how much notoriety he has, because back in 1987 before AFD took off, I guess Axl's claim to fame was Hollywood Rose and Slash's was Road Crew.

For the record I like all the drummers Guns have used. Steven had this great upbeat vibe to his drumming. Matt was a lot more methodical, dark, and pounding; which probably better suited the Illusions. I think Brain is probably the best of the three though when you are looking at who is the better and more versatile player. Doesn't mean I'd take him over Matt. Matt's a pretty big part of GN'R's history. Some fans may not care about that, but I do. Another thing to keep in mind is Matt's drumming on Contraband is quite different then what he did in his GN'R days, so what he'd sound like today in GN'R is not what he sounded like back in 1992.

Anyways, this wasn't meant to turn into a drummer debate. I'm just saying it's more relevant to look at what each drummer brings to the table. Not stuff like who they are and where they came from. Bumble's claim to fame is a recommendation from Satriani? Okay, but what about can he play and is he right for the band? You can't compare his notoriety with Slash's because Bumble will lose everytime. If it's about that then there is no debate here.

Edited by KBear

Fortus kills both Izzy and Gilby as a guitar player. Absolutely murders them.

Frank Ferrer also murders Matt Sorum as a drummer. Brain is more talented than both of them, but perhaps isn't what we would expect from a GNR drummer in terms of his style.

The old GNR was brilliant and I love everyone who was ever in the band. But the band is still here today and they are still my favourite band.

Why people bring this shizzer up all the time is beyond me.

Um... don't you think it might have something to do with the fact that Axl formed an entirely new band, kept the old name, and insists on only playing their first album over and over again?

If Axl doesn't want these new guys to be compared to the old ones, maybe he'd let them do more of their own work. Release an album. Let them play new songs live.

....as previously stated by the Fatness.

Um... don't you think it might have something to do with the fact that Axl formed an entirely new band, kept the old name, and insists on only playing their first album over and over again?

If Axl doesn't want these new guys to be compared to the old ones, maybe he'd let them do more of their own work. Release an album. Let them play new songs live.

I agree about them playing the old material, but Axl hasn't formed that band. Robin joined when Matt and Duff were still there and the whole thing was a natural process. Both Slash and Duff quit of their own doing, Axl didn't force them to leave.

I agree about them playing the old material, but Axl hasn't formed that band. Robin joined when Matt and Duff were still there and the whole thing was a natural process. Both Slash and Duff quit of their own doing, Axl didn't force them to leave.

Axl didn't force them. I guess you were there?

Please. Slash left. Duff left. Matt left. Izzy left. Bucket left. And it has nothing to do with Axl!! :rolleyes: That's delusion if I've ever seen it. Ask yourself this - why would five guys all choose to walk away from the biggest band on the planet with the most kickass front man on the planet? Slash, Duff, and Matt may not have walked out on the exact same day, but when Slash left it pretty much cemented things for Duff and Matt. They probably stuck around assuming Slash would eventually return. Didn't work out that way.

Axl can be a difficult person. This shouldn't be news to anyone. Yes it's part of what makes him great, but it also causes friction. To attribute all the blame to the old guys (they chose to walk away) when Axl is clearly at least partly to blame, well, it's pure bullshit.

you forgot the bass

Brain slaughters Matt

Izzy's a better songwriter IMO, but Fortus plays better.

Gilby's not very good.

What about Tracy and Roberta? They're the reason the band broke up.

Brain may be more technically gifted than Matt, but his style isn't right for Guns N' Roses IMO. In the old days, Matt fitted right in with the rest of the band, Brain doesn't have any real stage presence or whatsoever.

(and he can't fucking play You Could Be Mine right)

The questions will apear if this new band do release these three albums and become hugely successful. Then who is GNR. Probably tho what will happen is that Axl will get most of the credit for a while then people will start saying these guys deserve more credit.

ahah this is really cool!

Cute and accurate! :D

Kind of a one sided argument if you ask me. With the claims for fame you listing VR, VR was AFTER they walked away. Claim to fame at the time is what they did before hand. Sorum was in the Cult but others didnt really have much to their name.

Izzy/Gilby/Fortus- Izzy was the best songwriter and biggest contributer but Fortus is the best player.

Slash/Bumblefoot/Finck- You critize the new guys for not playing the old songs as well as the person who wrote the music for their indivudial style? Your telling me Bumblefoot should sound the exact same as slash? even tho they are clearly different styles.

Sorum/Matina- Matina is one of the best drummers today. Sorum got a bit of luck his style was right place right time. I rate Sorum as the lowest of the three drummers with Adler as the top.

Duff/Stinson- Very little if anything between them. I prefere Stinston based on his pre GnR work to Duffs post GnR work.

Im not gonna bother with the keys.

Axl aged 30/Axl aged 44- A mixutre of both would be great :D 30 year old stage act and 44 year old voice and constinstancy.

I go with todays Guns N' Roses. One more thing its not NewGuns N' Roses or NuGnR it GUNS N' ROSES!

old gnr has more good songs than new gnr, no shit. so the winner is old gnr.

axl vs. axl- are you stupid?

izzy vs. fortus- izzy, LSL is just awful, fortus can fucking play, though.

slash vs. thal- ron's solo shit owns slashs'. my only beef with BBF is that he'll put out less solo shit now that he's in the band.

brain vs. matt- brian destroys

slash vs. finck- i already have too many topics about this.

tommy vs. duff- duff clearly, he fucking wrote most of nighttrain.

whatever, the potential is there for a couple of fucking awesome albums.

Edited by quadlaser