The Smiths-Meat Is Murder

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

A difficult album, but longer than their others and ultimately rewarding. Sometimes I like it alot, the first few tracks for example are very interesting. It's very thick, in it's textures and pacing. You wouldn't expect a Smiths album to have only three tracks under four minutes. I think the last two cuts, the title track in particular, robbed it of what it could have been. We know this issue is important to Morrissey, but it's hard to take it as seriously as he does. As for "Barbarism Begins At Home", it just seems awkward, an unusual groove when compared to the rest of the album. But there are more than enough gems to satisfy, "Well I Wonder" being one of their loveliest ballads, besides the obvious choices.

i think the first three tracks are brilliant and have something no other smiths song has, they are a lot deeper and with a rich and heavy feeling to them. i want the one i can't have has the most amazing soaring vocals and the first two have this brilliant underbelly of regret with beautiful melodies

and i agree that well i wonder is loverly in everything

however, i really liked barbarism begins at home for being slightly different to what they've done and is a good introduction to the next track

and although i like this album, sometimes it just seems too immature, just an angry young man bitter about schooling experiences, and when compared with the other smiths songs it feels as though it was their debut rather than another

The first half definately excels the latter half. The title track is hideously over the top and preachy, "Barbarism Begins At Home" is like ODS said "...seems awkward, an unusual groove when compared to the rest of the album" and hell, I'm not even a fan of "Well I Wonder" either.

However, I particularly love "Nowhere Fast" and the first half is excellent.

do ye people agree that the cow mooing at the beginning of the song meat is murder is a little cringeworthy and slightly funny (and i'm a veggie too)

and although i like this album, sometimes it just seems too immature, just an angry young man bitter about schooling experiences, and when compared with the other smiths songs it feels as though it was their debut rather than another

Great point, and yes I agree on the cow.