Wouldn't an album with just Axl on a piano be awesome?

Kaneda

Since the thread about Axl overproducing stuff got locked (Madison's attempt to control everyone's opinion about the new GNR = sad and pathetic)...I wanted to see what you guys thought about an album that would have just Axl Rose on a piano singing 12 hearfelt songs...

And the reason why I think this would be Axl's greatest masterpiece is that it would be more genuine and sincere then the music he's released so far for Chinese D. Does anyone else feel Axl sort of says the same thing in every song and he never takes responsibility for his own actions.

Let's face it, Axl kicked the shit out of Stephanie Seymour, yet in all of his songs, he always blames women for things not working. Wouldn't it be more powerful if Axl actually took some responsibility for his actions, maybe a song about how he drove away the love of his life, and how he couldn't control it because that's how he was raised. I think a lot of people would relate to a song about pusing loved ones away. But Axl always paints himself as the victim and it's the woman that has "done him wrong." Please.

I know putting Axl at a Piano wouldn't be a rock n roll album, but I think it's an album he needs to do. Maybe he could have a double album, one hard rock, one piano ballads, but he needs to do it. With all of the new material, I just don't get a sense that Axl is saying anything new after 14 years off...I think he has been locked up too much, over-analyzing the past, and thus he's emotional trapped in a time circa 92-94, and his lyrics are indicative of that time period.

I kind of agree that while the music for Chinese D is good, it lacks the emotion of the old Guns N Roses. I don't agree that songs like November Rain and Estranged were overproduced, however, they would have been if the other band members didn't make Axl release the Illusion albums when they did. Take a song like TWAT for example...I think if you take out about 4 elements from that song, it would actually be better. It's like Axl's lyrics and vocals are competing with 6 musicians also trying to be heard.

Thoughts?

Since the thread about Axl overproducing stuff got locked (Madison's attempt to control everyone's opinion about the new GNR = sad and pathetic)...I wanted to see what you guys thought about an album that would have just Axl Rose on a piano singing 12 hearfelt songs...

And the reason why I think this would be Axl's greatest masterpiece is that it would be more genuine and sincere then the music he's released so far for Chinese D. Does anyone else feel Axl sort of says the same thing in every song and he never takes responsibility for his own actions.

Let's face it, Axl kicked the shit out of Stephanie Seymour, yet in all of his songs, he always blames women for things not working. Wouldn't it be more powerful if Axl actually took some responsibility for his actions, maybe a song about how he drove away the love of his life, and how he couldn't control it because that's how he was raised. I think a lot of people would relate to a song about pusing loved ones away. But Axl always paints himself as the victim and it's the woman that has "done him wrong." Please.

I know putting Axl at a Piano wouldn't be a rock n roll album, but I think it's an album he needs to do. Maybe he could have a double album, one hard rock, one piano ballads, but he needs to do it. With all of the new material, I just don't get a sense that Axl is saying anything new after 14 years off...I think he has been locked up too much, over-analyzing the past, and thus he's emotional trapped in a time circa 92-94, and his lyrics are indicative of that time period.

I kind of agree that while the music for Chinese D is good, it lacks the emotion of the old Guns N Roses. I don't agree that songs like November Rain and Estranged were overproduced, however, they would have been if the other band members didn't make Axl release the Illusion albums when they did. Take a song like TWAT for example...I think if you take out about 4 elements from that song, it would actually be better. It's like Axl's lyrics and vocals are competing with 6 musicians also trying to be heard.

Thoughts?

Wouldn't an album (regardless of what it is) be awesome?

I think an Axl piano album would be great. The White Stripes did it last year with "Get Behind Me Satan." It had only a few guitar driven songs on it while the rest were mostly Jack White on the piano. It was a great departure from the band's previous efforts. Just as White was being lauded as an amazing guitar player, he decided to make an album in which he plays little guitar. A very ballsy move in my opinion. I would like to see Axl do the same sort of thing. It wouldn't be a big seller, but it would make for a nice solo departure.

i agree it would be a good project for axl

= sad and pathetic

That would be you and others who waste your time to constantly make up conspiracy theories and ridiculous specualtions without having any facts what so ever. You're clueless.

Why the hell should he make a piano solo or a cover album right now? :monkey:

He should do something like Johnny Cash's last few records. What were they called - American Records, or American Songs or something like that. Just distill Axl songs to their purest elements.

Maybe when he's 70 years old and can't write songs anymore. Rod Stewart and Johnny Cash did it after their careers.

My mother hung a poster of motivational phrases over our toilet when we were kids so we'd learn important lessons. One of them was "When looking for somewhere to place the blame, use a mirror, not a telescope." Axl should have that poster over his toilet. But then, he wouldn't be Axl Rose. He wouldn't be as fascinating or frustrating if he was capable of explaining himself.

I guess that's better than to not go to school at all..... Again, you're talking about someone you don't really know, what he's been trough or how his childhood was. Since Axl havn't explained his thoughts on the new songs or who the lyrics are about you can just guess.

He should do something like Johnny Cash's last few records. What were they called - American Records, or American Songs or something like that. Just distill Axl songs to their purest elements.

Maybe when he's 70 years old and can't write songs anymore. Rod Stewart and Johnny Cash did it after their careers.

Yeah and maybe he'll do that piano ballad album when he's 60 but not atm.

My mother hung a poster of motivational phrases over our toilet when we were kids so we'd learn important lessons. One of them was "When looking for somewhere to place the blame, use a mirror, not a telescope." Axl should have that poster over his toilet. But then, he wouldn't be Axl Rose. He wouldn't be as fascinating or frustrating if he was capable of explaining himself.

I guess that's better than to not go to school at all..... Again, you're talking about someone you don't really know, what he's been trough or how his childhood was. Since Axl havn't explained his thoughts on the new songs or who the lyrics are about you can just guess.

It's amusing to hear an Axl fan criticize Johnny Cash for not being able to write songs.

No, that's not what the post says. You'll have to read it again.

I'm just a little puzzled by this idea you have that nobody knows anything about Axl's presonal life. His life has been pretty public - He cast his girlfriend in his videoes, used camcorder footage of her child... I mean shit, we regularly talk about his housekeeper for chirst's sake. Furthermore, he's an artist. We've got catalogs of lyrics he's written. His first new single might very well be a song called There Was A Time - or TWAT. We're not talking about James Joyce here. It's pretty obvious what Axl's singing about.

Yes, we do know a lot about Axl from what we've read in the press and in interviews and maybe Better and T.W.A.T. are rather easy to figure out. Although I do find it a bit disturbing to read posts where people try to be amateur psychologists and analyze Axl and saying things like "No wonder he turned out like he did" or think they can figure him out because he was abused as a child. Im not saying it's wrong to have an opinion about him or what he does though. It just gets tiresome to hear all these assumption, speculation and false rumours all the time.

I think Axl's version of It's Alright is probably the coolest thing on the Live Era cash-in. I'd like to hear him to an album of songs like that.

I love that song to but as for right now it would be, to say the least, a very bad idea to release a cover or a solo album.

I'm not saying he write different songs. Use the ones he has. Just instead of all the crazy shit going on and ten guitars and fiftyfive keyboard/sound effect tracks, he should just record the songs simply. But I feel that way about UYI too. I don't think Axl's sonic advancements are all that bold or original, and they obsure what I really like about his songwriting.

Exactly. He doesn't need all that crap, the songs are strong enough to stand on their own and in some cases can sound better. For example, there are a lot of people who prefer the rough Don't Cry demo to the studio version. Sometimes, simple is better.

I think a Piano N' Axl cood be a good album. Instead of doing an MTV unplugged type of thing. Do the new songs on piano. Like a soundtrack album. Cood be cool after the albums come out. It's sort of the Coldplay effect.