Brian May wants to make new Queen album

username

About 15 years after the death of Freddie Mercury the remaining Queen members are planning to record a new album.

Brian May tolf the brittish newspaper The Independent "We're going into the studio in October". May wants to record new material with drummer Roger Taylor and singer Paul Rodgers (The Free, Bad Company). The remaining Queen members went on tour before with Rodgers as their frontman. Marcury died on 24 November 1991.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translated from a dutch website. No mention of John Deacon.

Most likely it would just tarnish the memory of a once great band. Although he is a great singer, he lacks the power and range Mercury had. It would require a major change in their songwriting style to make it work. I'd definately check it out though.

Hey

After reading the news that Brian May wants to make a new Queen album, I suddenly felt a wave of sentimentality wash over me and I know this is really strange to say but hearing that news makes me miss Freddie Mercury, almost as if he was a loved one or friend that passed away. I've never felt that way when I've thought of other deceased musicians. I didn't know him, or any of the band members of Queen personally, Freddie died the day after my first birthday but...Their music has always touched my life from the time I was a little kid and I wondered who ''Fweddy Mewrcuwy" (what I used to call Freddie as a young kid) was, and Freddie just had this magnetism and such an amazing voice and was a fucking amazing frontman. Not only that, but I've heard he was genuinely a really nice guy and fun to be with on and off the stage. His and the rest of the bands' lyrics and music were just so fun and enjoyable, and are timeless; whenever I'm down I'll put on a Queen song and it'll make me feel better.

For me, Freddie WAS Queen. And when I think about his death, especially if I'm in a really sentimental or nostalgic mood, I'll actually cry, as pussy-ish or as weird as that sounds. I guess it's the same thing that made millions cry back in 1980 when Lennon was murdered.

I think Brian was also a BIG part of Queen to a large extent as well and I respect him as an awesomely talented guitarist...But I think this is a really heartless move on his part and I guess he saw that the paycheck would be much bigger going under the Queen moniker than ''Brian May on Tour.''

That move makes me lose a lot of the respect I had for him.

The loss of Freddie was truly a huge loss to music, and on the day he died a god made flesh left the earth. I wish I was around to enjoy their music as it happend, but even so, I'll never forget the impact their music has had on me and I really hope that Brian May and the other guys don't release this album under the Queen name--it would be an insult to Freddies' memory and there is no singer that can replace Freddie as the singer of Queen-he was the voice, and the magic of Queen; I don't care how good a singer Paul Rogers is; he's not Freddie. Unless the music for this new album is absol-fuckin-lutely perfect, it would just tarnish Queen's legacy and Freddies' along with it.

Queen is gone; there's no need to dig up a 15 year old corpse.

Edited by Mr. Miser

Freddie just had this magnetism and such an amazing voice and was a fucking amazing frontman. Not only that, but I've heard he was genuinely a really nice guy and fun to be with on and off the stage. His and the rest of the bands' lyrics and music were just so fun and enjoyable, and are timeless; whenever I'm down I'll put on a Queen song and it'll make me feel better.

The loss of Freddie was truly a huge loss to music, and on the day he died a god made flesh left the earth. I wish I was around to enjoy their music as it happend, but even so, I'll never forget the impact their music has had on me and I really hope that Brian May and the other guys don't release this album under the Queen name--it would be an insult to Freddies' memory and there is no singer that can replace Freddie as the singer of Queen-he was the voice, and the magic of Queen; I don't care how good a singer Paul Rogers is; he's not Freddie. Unless the music for this new album is absol-fuckin-lutely perfect, it would just tarnish Queen's legacy and Freddies' along with it.

Queen is gone; there's no need to dig up a 15 year old corpse.

Couldn't have sait better! Exactly my sentiments.

Freddie Mercury: The best there was, is and will ever be! :)

Ive fallen in love

''Ive fallen in love for the first time

And this time I know its for real

Ive fallen in love yeah

God knows God knows Ive fallen in love

Its strange but its true

I cant get over the way you love me like you do

But I have to be sure

When I walk out that door

Oh how I want to be free baby

Oh how I want to be free

Oh how I want to break free

But life still goes on

I cant get used to living without living without

Living without you by my side

I dont want to live alone hey

God knows got to make it on my own

So baby cant you see

Ive got to break free''

Not a Freddie song, but lyrically, classic Queen

Bring it on. Paul's a gifted motherfucker and he would do great things with Bri...

fuckin right...I saw this band live and they were bloody AMAZING!

one of the best concerts I'd seen in a while!

I'm all over this,and I'd go see them again in a heartbeat...glad to hear they are going to make new music together!

Paul Rodgers brought such class to the Queen material...as they did his,it's a blend that works.

Guest knerken

Sounds cool to me. But they should do the same as they did with their recent live-albums: call it "Queen with Paul Rodgers", so people will know what they'll get. It will maybe be more respectful to Freddie too..?

I think, as long as,ya know the people close to freddy and john deacon gives his blessing to it, they should make an album as queen + Paul Rogers

I mean, Freddy once said "Queen will continue until we F*ckin die" and while mercury's ironically dead, the best tribute now to his memory is new music that is worthy of the queen name so that kids will get into it, and people will remember freddy

Im fully behind anything that involves Brian May putting out new material. This is in no way adis respect to freddie. If any of ye would open your fucking eyes and take a look at everythiung brian may has done since freddie died. He has made it his object to remind people pof how great freddie was. So doint ye dare call brian heartless without taking into account that he is the only one who reminds people of how great freddie was...

I'm undecided. It's one thing with Van Halen or AC/DC, but queen's songs and lyrics were so personal for freddie that it seems wrong for someone else to sing them. The above bands made the switch pretty quickly, but why is this acceptable now when it wasn't 15 years ago? The momentum is long gone. How can you credit an idea that even the original queen bass player finds disrespectful?

If you did not attend a Q+PR show, do NOT call this a disrespect to Freddie. I saw the guys (only 2 months after seeing the Rolling Stones), and they top the so-called "Biggest Band in Rock n Roll History" by a lot. Paul is a truly gifted frontman, both in voice and moves, and fits in with this group phoenominally well. Even on signature Freddy tunes (Champions, Fat Bottomed, Show Must Go On, etc), Rodgers shines. When Paul can't do Freddie justice (the begining of

), he leaves the stage and Freddie takes over via video screen (turning the song into more of a tribute than song). Brian and Roger also get their chances to shine (Brian on Love of my Life, Hammer to Fall, and Under Preasure; Roger on Radio GaGa, In Love with my Car, and Days of Our Lives). Paul also brings songs like Can't Get Enough (Of Your Love), Bad Company, I Feel Like Makin' Love, and All Right Now to the table, overall making himself an invalluable addition to a great band.

Essentially, the show is a tribute to Freddie more than anything else. Paul was Freddie's musical hero (as I learned from Brian's limo driver who I met after the Chicago show), and Freddie oft said that Paul would make a wonderful frontman for Queen. In that vein, Brian and Roger were overjoyed when given the opportunity to play with Paul at the Brittish Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony in 2004 - a one-off pairing that led to more jamming, a Brittish tour, then a Japanese tour, and then finally the US romp this past spring. The chemistry is unquestionable, the music breathtaking, and the performance top-notch. If Brian and Roger were ever going to pay tribute to their fallen brother, this is the only way to do it. So please, if you have not yet experienced the magic that is Queen + Paul Rodgers, I quote Bob Dylan: don't criticize what you can't understand. Buy Return of the Champions. Give the new album a listen when it comes out. Most importantly, SEE THIS BAND LIVE AT ANY COST.

As for the album, I'm excited. I was very worried that, with Q+PR not drawing the crowds they had hoped in the US and Paul doing solo shows, Q+PR was being shelved indefinetly. I'm glad to see that plans are in the works to keep it going, and I can't wait for more great Q+PR tunes!

(Bohemian Rhapsody video credits: me. Sorry for the low quality; I did it on a digital camera (not camcorder) so the digital zoom suchs. You can get the idea of how famazing it was, though)