The Rock Scene in LA

Guest Yanni_16

Guest Yanni_16

I'm interested in starting a rock band, Im not really looking to get super-successful, I'd be happy playing shitty dive bars, so long as I got to play period. My question is, because a lot of the bands in the 80s (Gn'R, Motley, virtually all hair metal bands) started in LA with virtually nothing, is LA still the place to start a rock band these days? I ask this because rock was much more mainstream back then (rap is more popular with teens today). The actual main reason LA seems attractive to me as opposed to any other big city is easy really: weather. If I really wanna be a musician, and I do, believe me, Im most likely gonna starve, so why not do it in good weather? Im one of those people that bad weather depresses the shit outta me, but if I lived in a place with virtually nice weather all the time and I got to play music in front of a live audience but had hardly any money, Id be happy. So let me know what I should do, anybody's opinion is appreciated, if you're actually from LA of Southern California that'd be even better. Thanks in advance.

I'm interested in starting a rock band, Im not really looking to get super-successful, I'd be happy playing shitty dive bars, so long as I got to play period. My question is, because a lot of the bands in the 80s (Gn'R, Motley, virtually all hair metal bands) started in LA with virtually nothing, is LA still the place to start a rock band these days? I ask this because rock was much more mainstream back then (rap is more popular with teens today). The actual main reason LA seems attractive to me as opposed to any other big city is easy really: weather. If I really wanna be a musician, and I do, believe me, Im most likely gonna starve, so why not do it in good weather? Im one of those people that bad weather depresses the shit outta me, but if I lived in a place with virtually nice weather all the time and I got to play music in front of a live audience but had hardly any money, Id be happy. So let me know what I should do, anybody's opinion is appreciated, if you're actually from LA of Southern California that'd be even better. Thanks in advance.
I'm curious about the scene in LA also. But I do know that one of the best places a musician can be right now is Austin, TX. It's very eclectic and every conceivable type of music is played there. Also, industry executives are there, esepecially at the South by Southwest Festival. And the weather is pretty nice, hot in the summer but mild winters.

i used to live there a couple years ago, as far as live music in the clubs went, punk was almost the only thing played, good punk, though, nofx and goldfinger style. there really weren't many live rap shows, except at one or two clubs.

there was a girl that played acoustic on santa monica blvd. all the time, she was fucking good. she'd play jewel, neil young, and originals. i'd love to know if she still plays there, she made shitloads of money, so she probably does.

Edited by quadlaser

I dont think the music scene as good as it was in the 1980's. Me personally I dont think I would want to live in LA and try to become a rock star. The people are totally rude and on edge. Too crowded. Expensive, the average house is $500,000. Half of LA's 3.9 million people are hispanic. I hope you're able to speak Spanish. Hard to find work because of all the illlegal immigrants. Not too mention all the gangs and crime, the traffic jams, and the smog. Right now I live about 30 miles south of LA in Orange County and used to work in LA.

At the rainbow bar & grill you'll find those 80ies rockers. :) totally dressed up like the hair metal ppl from the 80ies... I SWEAR! :D hehe

The scene is a bit dead when it comes to old style rock n roll. But it's regulary reformated and reproduced in the lines of The Panic Channel, Audioslave, Velvet Revolver and smaller bands. But typical 80ies music is most likely gonna be hard to find. I haven't seen any of those bands live in LA yet.

As far as starving and shit, remember LA was a helluva lot cheaper in the 80ies than it's now.

Sunset and parts of hollywood where the rockers lived was pretty much the cheapest place in LA.

It was also the dirtiest and the most dangerous place IN LA. Now it's all cleaned up and it's expensive as fuck. The bars and clubs where the old bands used to play have mostly punk bands playing there and 100000 different acts not sounding the same.

LA has changed man. And I would NOT advise you to go there thinking that it'll be OK to starve.

'cus a part of LA is networking, and networking means parties and friends and clubs. Those things cost money. Unless you get your friends to pay for all that stuff then you'll make it just fine.

But you still need a place to live, some people are 4 or 5 together on a single bedroom. :) so it CAN be cheap. But the rule of thumb is 600 bucks for rent in LA. And all the other stuff you need to live. So no, it ain't just glorious and stuff... A lot of ppl fall through because of drugs, they lose their focus and shit just goes haywire from there. I've seen that happen to people, and I've seen MANY people living on the edge between music and drugs. But that I've seen other places too so I dunno if it really applies. :) hehe

Still, it's the music that matters, if you're good and are focused, having a job isn't gonna halt your career.

Hollywood blvd. is kinda happening right now. There are some good clubs for networking and then you got some that are good for music. I wouldn't say LA is impossible or worn out in any way, it's just different! and there isn't just one mainstream type of music really. Tool and Mars Volta are out of LA. But still they don't sound anything like those EMO bands that REALLY crowd the streets of LA, and punk like someone mentioned in this thread above me.

Save up some money, use myspace and make some demos before you go there. See if there are ppl who are up to playing with you when you get to LA. Atleast you got some bands to try out for when you arrive. and they can also hook you up and help you getting on.

Vancouver canada is a beter choice we have alot of world class recording studios some are very affordable..also have lots of AnR people checkin out bands , several major labels are based here.We have alot of rock clubs. A two bedroom is $550 Cnd.. Lots of dayjobs.. mild weather No la Tude +People are friendly here :) Fuck La :P

Guest Yanni_16

Alright, thanks for the feedback guys. I probably should give some info. Im not totally inexperienced at this, I performed a lot at high school talent shows (lame, I know), and a lot of people told me I have a knack for this sort of thing. Im 19, which is from a lot of bios Ive read on musicians, is a very common age to get into this sort of thing. My current location (this will probably come as a shocker) is Oakville, Ontario, which is located about 15-20 minutes outside Toronto, so yes, I'm a loooong ways from LA. All I know is one thing... I've definately gotta get out of my hometown soon, and far from it, the people here are boring as fuck, and hardly any people are into regular hard rock (i know a select handfuls of people that are, but not many). They're all into rap or emo, which is music I personally consider to be fucking garbage. I only mentioned LA because it's known, or I should say was known to be the haven of hard rock, and of course because my idols (the Gunners) started there :P But no, its not like I am dead set on going there, it was just the first place that came to mind.

The music scene is coming around in Memphis, TN as well, lots of support for local acts here (birthplace of rock & roll, after all!). You won't find much emo or punk around here, it's all blues and rock, with some country depending upon the club. It's also a cheaper/friendlier place to live than LA.

Sun and Ardent Studios are located here; U2 recorded at least one of their albums here, Elvis recorded most if not all of his, The Beatles were very close to recording Abbey Road here (would have if not for the cold reception they got from all the southern baptists here shortly after Lennon made the "bigger than Jesus" remark); countless acts have come out of Memphis. A few have made it big (Three Doors Down and Saliva are more recent bands from this area), most do well enough to support themselves.