What Name Does Axl Actually Own?

The Sandman

Just a thought to ponder, Axl owns the name Guns N' Roses now - correct?

So what 'variation' does he own?

Guns N' Roses?

Guns n' Roses?

Guns N Roses?

Guns n Roses?

Guns and Roses

Guns And Roses?

Guns & Roses?

Guns&Roses?

[insert Other Possibilities]

Most of these (especially the last) have been used on merch, although the first seems to be the concencus name - but does Axl own all of them? Or just a few of them, or what? I understand you probably couldn't use another for 'infringing' on something already copyrighted - but it's interesting - what does he actually own name wise of the band?

Sandman.

I think he owns Guns N' Roses.

If he finds something called Guns 'N' Roses or Guns & Roses I think he can file a law suit against them for plagiatism(sp?)

yeah he got the rights to the name Guns N' Roses. but as you said if someone comes along and forms Guns & Roses he could sue them yeah.

Bums N' Poses?

LA

No. Karri owns that one ;)

They are a band of mystery. No album. No single. Hell, nobody even knows the band's name for sure

Nobody knows the meaning of W.A.S.P. for sure either :tongue2:

That's pretty much a diffrent situation "Why can't GN'R just be a normal band? crying.gif"

I believe Axl doesn't have that much control in regards to variations of the name nor variations in spellings. Trademark laws are particularly strict and leaves little ambiguity. According to this link: http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/tmep/...tm#_Toc98817736, Axl could only have the rights to the name of the band if the band releases recordings under that name. In this case, most likely it would be Guns N' Roses, Guns N Roses, maybe Guns & Roses although I'm not too sure with GNR. Also, Axl's right to the use of the name is limited to where the band performs. If there's alread an existing band with the same name in a country which GNR hasn't performed in, most likely Axl's rights to the name is not guaranteed in that particualr area. Axl is however guranteed rights to the name among countries that recognise trademark laws and enforce them. Another thing. Regarding recordings and merchandise and other related material, any other band with the name Guns N' Roses cannot sell the material in countries where they do not have rights to use the name. The same would apply to Axl. Logos and stuff like that are another thing too and I'd assume Axl probably has rights to them as well.

So in short, Axl doesn't own everything.

well, at RIR one of the highlights of the festival was a Portuguese band called GNR

Highlights? That concert sucked ass.

And yeah, it's GNR - Grupo Novo Rock.

Guns N' Roses' abreviation is GN'R.

they called it a highlight

I didn't hear them, so I don't know

well, at RIR one of the highlights of the festival was a Portuguese band called GNR

You did the right thing. That concert blew.

Oh, and for the matter, GNR has existed since the late 70's, so GN'R has no claim for that abbreviation in Portugal.

Oh, and for the matter, GNR has existed since the late 70's, so GN'R has no claim for that abbreviation in Portugal.

It's actually an acronym not an abbreviation, and an acronym is made up of the first letter of each word, so it is not about having the 'right' an acronym is an acronym! Anyone or thing with 3 words beginning with G, N and R can be called GNR.

LP

Edited by Longpig

I believe Axl doesn't have that much control in regards to variations of the name nor variations in spellings. Trademark laws are particularly strict and leaves little ambiguity. According to this link: http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/tmep/...tm#_Toc98817736, Axl could only have the rights to the name of the band if the band releases recordings under that name. In this case, most likely it would be Guns N' Roses, Guns N Roses, maybe Guns & Roses although I'm not too sure with GNR. Also, Axl's right to the use of the name is limited to where the band performs. If there's alread an existing band with the same name in a country which GNR hasn't performed in, most likely Axl's rights to the name is not guaranteed in that particualr area. Axl is however guranteed rights to the name among countries that recognise trademark laws and enforce them. Another thing. Regarding recordings and merchandise and other related material, any other band with the name Guns N' Roses cannot sell the material in countries where they do not have rights to use the name. The same would apply to Axl. Logos and stuff like that are another thing too and I'd assume Axl probably has rights to them as well.

So in short, Axl doesn't own everything.

than it would be Guns N' Roses and G N' R (for Lies)

It's actually an acronym not an abbreviation, and an acronym is made up of the first letter of each word, so it is not about having the 'right' an acronym is an acronym! Anyone or thing with 3 words beginning with G, N and R can be called GNR.

LP

Right, it's an acronym. But I don't think two bands can use the same acronym for music purposes. Although I could be wrong, of course.