Jazz Legend Maynard Ferguson Dies

axlslash

Maynard Ferguson, the last of the true great jazz trumpet players has died. Maynard Ferguson, who had chart-topping hits with a cover of Gonna Fly Now (Theme from Rocky) and McArthur Park, passed away yesterday afternoon at age 78.

I am a trumpet player. I have been playing since the 5th grade (over 7 years). When I first started, my dad handed me a CD and said "If you practice, you can play like this some day." I listened to the CD intently. I loved every note. The CD was called This Is Jazz 18: The Best of Maynard Ferguson. I knew then what I wanted to be able to do with that instrument. This past March, I was on the verge of dropping band (couldn't fit the highest band into my schedule), which would have effectively meant quitting the trumpet. My family went to another near-by high school's jazz festival, which was headlined by none other than Maynard Ferguson and his Big Bop Nuevo Band. This was my first (and, sadly, last) MF show, and it was astounding. At 78, the man still had the power, the tone, and the sound of his early recordings. He blared through all of his hits - Rocky, Birdland, McArthur Park, Chameleon, Hey Jude, and many others. His ear-splitting screeches brought the crowd to its feet time after time after time. After that show, I decided that there was no way I could quit band. Maynard's music for me goes beyond music. It has inspired me to play since I first heard it, and this loss is truly saddening. Maynard was a legend, a hero, and - to his fans and friends - he was simply The Boss.

You will be missed.

Maynard Ferguson, the last of the true great jazz trumpet players has died. Maynard Ferguson, who had chart-topping hits with a cover of Gonna Fly Now (Theme from Rocky) and McArthur Park, passed away yesterday afternoon at age 78.

I am a trumpet player. I have been playing since the 5th grade (over 7 years). When I first started, my dad handed me a CD and said "If you practice, you can play like this some day." I listened to the CD intently. I loved every note. The CD was called This Is Jazz 18: The Best of Maynard Ferguson. I knew then what I wanted to be able to do with that instrument. This past March, I was on the verge of dropping band (couldn't fit the highest band into my schedule), which would have effectively meant quitting the trumpet. My family went to another near-by high school's jazz festival, which was headlined by none other than Maynard Ferguson and his Big Bop Nuevo Band. This was my first (and, sadly, last) MF show, and it was astounding. At 78, the man still had the power, the tone, and the sound of his early recordings. He blared through all of his hits - Rocky, Birdland, McArthur Park, Chameleon, Hey Jude, and many others. His ear-splitting screeches brought the crowd to its feet time after time after time. After that show, I decided that there was no way I could quit band. Maynard's music for me goes beyond music. It has inspired me to play since I first heard it, and this loss is truly saddening. Maynard was a legend, a hero, and - to his fans and friends - he was simply The Boss.

You will be missed.

I'm not a huge jazz fan, but I know Maynard's playing and he was truly great. He will be missed.

You will be missed.

R.I.P I play trumpet and have a friend who does too and he was and still thinks Maynard Ferguson is god. He was a hero to my friend. :(