Uncle Tupelo

bax

They are one of the great unsung heroes of the early 90's indie scene, and their sound was a big influence on a lot of bands in my area. They are typically categorized as alt-country, but to me it's more like country influenced punk. If you like rock with a little twang, give these guys a try. They split years ago, but Son Volt and Wilco formed from the ashes, so it wasn't a total loss. Just great, deeply emotional songs.

I do love Wilco.

One of the few major-label bands truly breaking new ground. Totally different sound from UT-their earlier stuff sounded like UT, but now..incredible. Cool to see the genesis of Jeff Tweedy's songwriting in UT though.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

I do love Wilco.

Cool to see the genesis of Jeff Tweedy's songwriting in UT though.

That's just it. His lyrics on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot are some of the best ever.

These guys are from Belleville, Illinois. Right down the road from where I live. Really good band, and Wilco and SunVolt are not too shabby either.

Very cool-were you around when they were playing bars there? I got to see them on the Anodyne tour , and it was great. I wish I could've seen them early on when they still played more punk style and with just the 3 piece band though. I've seen Son Volt and Wilco several times and they're both great as well.