Rip off venues!

BarmyBritJo

I was wondering if you in the US get skanked by the venue as badly as us Brits often do? When me and my mate went to Wembley Arena it was £15 just to park (just over 40 dollars) the parking attendant didn't seem amused when I asked him if we would get a total valet included in that!, drinks were also expensive, about £3.00 for a beer (about 8 dollars) and not that much cheaper for water which was served in plastic cups as we weren't allowed bottles of water!

The band themselves have tried to keep the ticket prices down, my ticket was £40 and as I paid £28 back in 1991 I don't think that's a bad rise! Madonna was charging from £80 upwards for her concerts but GnR kept all ticket prices at £40 no matter if you were standing or sitting. It really adds to the cost of the concert for us fans when we have to allow for these "sundries" and does seem extortionate, I mean how can Brent Council justify such a large parking charge? The car park wasn't in particularly good condition and was covered with litter so I'd like to know what are we subsidising?!!!

Any stories of rip off venues out there?

Jo

Only other choice we had was that well dodgy looking bloke down the road offering parking by waving a big sign and calling out to passing cars, I guess the GnR tee-shirts we were wearing gave away our destination! After much discussion we had decided to drive due to the high possibility of GnR running over time and us missing the last train back to Wycombe (yes the one on the news!) Looks like Brent Council made a lot of money out of Axl's time keeping what with the large fine they imposed on him for going on past 23.00!

Jo

Your exchange rate is WAY of, £15 is more like $25. £3 is more like $5.50.

Anyway, thankfully I never needed to park at wembley, although a pint was £3 but i was shocked at £3.80 for a J&C.

15 pounds is 28 dollars and 3 pound is 5.66 dollars so he's indeed making it sound worse than it is.

I agree though that prices of drinks are absurd.

I went to an Allman Bros. show in Atlanta last weekend. Parking was included in the ticket price, which was $60. Beer was $8 for a tall boy can of Coors(shitty if you don't have it there), and water was $3.50. A piece of pizza was $6. I guess we're all getting fucked, but what can you do? We easily spent $200 at the venue for me and my bud plus $50 in the parking lot for um,recreation fees. GN'R will probably be higher I'd imagine,if they ever play here again.

you'd never last in ireland

anytime there's anything big on the rip off merchants come out

i was offered a hotel room single bed no breakfast for 450 euro per person when i went to see gnr, beer was 5 euro i think and shirts were 30 if i remember right :unsure:

the Ryder cup is on soon here and i guarentee it will be worse, i saw a b&b near by the course for 550 a room per person :anger:

Take the train, only £6 for a travel card. You guys who didn't bring rolls and water were silly.

I guess you're talking about an adult fare. Just buy the child fare and it's only £2. No-one ever checks :rofl-lol:

drink prices are outta fucking control... the last time i drank at a venue was at BB Kings in NYC when i saw buckethead in march. to sit there was a $10 drink minimum, but the cheapest beer was $8 and leave it to them to not mention that to you. between me and my 2 friends we had like a $60 tab after like 2 or 3 beers each. i've now resorted to drink only keystone light, at 10 for a 30 rack in the parking lot as protest.

not to mention ticketmaster who always manages to put it in your ass and break it off - fucking convenience fees and 'order processing charges' are out of control, but can't be avoided as driving to a venue would cost almost as much sometimes. 4 $46 tickets to CSNY the other day somehow amazingly cost me $234.60.

Take the train, only £6 for a travel card. You guys who didn't bring rolls and water were silly.

Couldn't take the train as the chances were that the concert would go on past the last train home (and it did!) and we were all searched quite throughly before going in, no one was allowed to take in their own drinks or food! In my youth I used to take drinks and grub with me but it's got so your not allowed, is it security reasons or just so the venue can charge anything they like for refreshments?

Appolagises for my crap exchange rate I'm not too hot at maths but wanted to give it a go, do I get some points for trying?!

Jo

we were all searched quite throughly before going in, no one was allowed to take in their own drinks or food! In my youth I used to take drinks and grub with me but it's got so your not allowed, is it security reasons or just so the venue can charge anything they like for refreshments?

Miss, I was thoroughly searched, including my crotchal area, by an overzealous guard. I had my sandwiches and juice thoroughly squeezed, and my water poured into a plastic cup. I went it with 3 cartoons of apple juice, 3 sandwiches of ham + mustard and 3 of chicken, and a bottle of water occupying a plastic cup. So, I certainly was allowed - as were many others.

Hi sandman! Boy that sounds like an intimate search..........! Wembley Arena were very harsh about what we could get in and me and my mate had an added problem, our tickets hadn't been sent out so we had to share a duplicate one, this gave us the dodgy honour of having more security interest than we may otherwise of had! We had to go in through a different door to the others with us and we got the undivided attention of the big butch bird at the desk! Although I think I was probably most pissed off that there wasn't anywhere for me to have a smoke all night, I admit to joining the other ciggie rebels and lighting up under a stairwell!! That certainly bought back my youth!!

I remember the days when me and my mate took a plastic bottle full of vodka and getting good and lashed on the train up and while waiting outside Wembley Stadium, didn't need their over priced drinks that day!!

Jo

At the two GNR gigs I´ve been to I managed to get some food and water because I knew inside the venue they were very expensive.

And about the parking, well I don´t know how it was in Madrid but in Almeria ( Natural music festival) we didn´t have to pay to park our car,it was free and the local police were having a look at it and after the gig if you didn´t know where your car was they helped you to find it quickly. Very cool those police guys!

And as for the tickets, I paid 42 euros in Madrid for a standing ticket,reasonable price. And in Almeria I found it a bit abusive because it was a festival and I had to pay 53 euros for a single day ticket. You couldn´t pay just for one concert :anger: . It was a pain in the arse because I was only interested in the gnr concert and I was forced to pay as if I was seeing all the groups.

Hi sandman! Boy that sounds like an intimate search..........! Wembley Arena were very harsh about what we could get in and me and my mate had an added problem, our tickets hadn't been sent out so we had to share a duplicate one, this gave us the dodgy honour of having more security interest than we may otherwise of had! We had to go in through a different door to the others with us and we got the undivided attention of the big butch bird at the desk! Although I think I was probably most pissed off that there wasn't anywhere for me to have a smoke all night, I admit to joining the other ciggie rebels and lighting up under a stairwell!! That certainly bought back my youth!!

I remember the days when me and my mate took a plastic bottle full of vodka and getting good and lashed on the train up and while waiting outside Wembley Stadium, didn't need their over priced drinks that day!!

Jo

Nice story - although this happened to me at Wembley! 30th or the 29th dear?

30th July, then again being a girl I don't have much pocket space so any buttie I might of jammed in there would probably only be fit to be drunk through a straw!

I also only took a really small bag because I knew it would be searched and didn't want to have to turf out that usual girly junk all over a desk in front of a load of people!

Jo