Windows 2000 to XP

Chop Suey

I recommend installing Windows XP Home Edition. As you say you know nothing about computers Home Edition is for you; you won't need any of the extra technical stuff that comes with Windows XP Professional (and nor will the average home user).

Normally it's better to wipe the laptop clean then install a fresh copy of Windows XP but it's cheaper to buy an upgrade to Windows XP, which will simply upgrade Windows 2000 to Windows XP. Upgrading rather than installing by scratch is probably better for you as it's simple to do. An upgrade edition of Windows XP Home Edition SP2 can be bought for $90 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-XP...&s=software

Edited by LCG

i updated a windows 2000 to an xp and trust me it wont be able to handle it you will need a new motherboard and proccessor and everything

That all depends on what kind of hardware she has.

Also, the upgrade version of Windows XP will allow you to format and do a fresh install. The only difference between the upgrade and full versions is that the upgrade version asks for you to verify that you have a previous version of Windows installed.

If your hardware meets the minimum requirements, and you do decide to go with XP, get the upgrade version and do a full install. Doing an upgrade install leaves behind old operating system files that aren't used by XP, but can still slow down your system performance.

i updated a windows 2000 to an xp and trust me it wont be able to handle it you will need a new motherboard and proccessor and everything

It depends what the computer specs are.

@Nanny: What are the laptop's specs? If you have no idea what I mean go into the control panel then double click on System, and type out what it says under Computer:

E.g. (I know this is XP but it's the same in 2000)

specsib5.th.png

Also, the upgrade version of Windows XP will allow you to format and do a fresh install. The only difference between the upgrade and full versions is that the upgrade version asks for you to verify that you have a previous version of Windows installed.

Oh cool, I didn't know that. I've never used the upgrade edition before. In that case it's definately worth getting the upgrade edition rather than shelling out a load more money on the fresh install version.

It depends what the computer specs are.

@Nanny: What are the laptop's specs? If you have no idea what I mean go into the control panel then double click on System, and type out what it says under Computer:

E.g. (I know this is XP but it's the same in 2000)

specsib5.th.png

Off topid but my pc>yours!1!1! :fuckyou:1oc6.png:P

P.s i got the dvd's...Awesome :wub: