There was a purpose for the 10 second appearance....

PS_PoWeR

People are talking about how his brief 10 second appearance was a waste and all.....but that's not thinking....

It may have been a waste for us hardcore GNR fans who have already downloaded all his European performances and have seen him in public for months, but not for GNR in the mainstream's eye.

For the American public, they haven't seen him since 2002. The mainstream's last image of Axl is this Predator-looking, botoxed up weird looking guy in a huge jersey with a completely messed up voice.

A brief, 10-second appearance of a casual, thinner, and happier Axl talking calming to the crowd and the TV audience is genious. We dont have a shiny faced, jersey-wearing screaming singer in a jersey like in 2002......now we just have a "regular" guy chillin with everyone else and having a good time. It's a much needed image adjustment from 2002....and in hindsight may be more beneficial than Axl in a headband again performing WTTJ again on stage....

:) YES., Axl was good. waiting 8 hours in my Latvia to see his 10 sec speech was great;D

when he came up he seemed a bit shy, but when started to talk about getting his ass up here and just doing it then it was all good.

Edited by zara mama

I will disagree. I think it pretty much was a waste. Okay, mainstream fans got to see the new Axl. There is some benefit in that I guess, and maybe it also put GN'R back into people's minds, for about 2 minutes. Then it was time to move on. They didn't give a reason for fans to ponder Axl Rose any longer than that.

They didn't provide any context to Axl being there. Because of this the mainstream fan who knows pretty much nothing about Axl Rose will just think that this is some dude from the past who's reason for being at the awards is that he's being honoured. Old fans who knew Axl back in the day but don't know what he's up to now will also think he's just there out of respect...especially with WTTJ blaring in the background.

I can understand why the band wouldn't want to perform. The only choice they had is do new stuff that most fans don't know, or bring out Jungle again. Neither is an appealing choice. They need a single out there before they perform at an event like this one.

My point is if Axl is there to re-introduce himself to the mainstream (which is obviously the reason he did this), the mainstream needs to know there is a purpose to him being there. Otherwise it's self-defeating. They should have mentioned the album earlier in the show, maybe run a couple of ads. Show a few clips of the Euro tour. Then when Axl finally came out, fans would understand why. Instead, to most fans, he's just another one in a long list of celebrities who attended this event.

I ain't bashing, so please nobody bring out that garbage. I'm just saying that with the first single maybe two months away they could have done so much more yesterday. If you take anything away from this post take that. That's the crux of it all. I'm sure folks will say nothing was promised, that I was expecting too much. Not at all. I was only expecting, on one of the biggest stages the band will ever have, with a single weeks away, they would provide a bit of context as to why Axl is there. This isn't asking a lot, in fact to me it's common sense.

In 2002 with no album on the horizon, GN'R performs and Axl is interviewed by Loder about the new band and album. I don't care how bad the performance was (and it wasn't as bad as people say) that created buzz. Now in 2006, with the album mere weeks away, Axl presents an award. Talks for maybe twenty seconds. No mention of the band or album. Now someone tell me you don't think this just a little bit backasswards! Yes, it's easy to criticize decisions with the benefit of hindsight, but it is obvious they haven't made the right calls when it comes to the VMAs. The VMAs are a great tool but you have to use it right.

On that note, the 2002 medley gets a lot of bashing, but it really was almost perfect. WTTJ is great to open with. Madagascar was the perfect second choice. It isn't fast and heavy and so it is easy to follow for fans who don't know it. Plus it's a beautiful melody. I would have chosen a different ending though. Maybe use the end of SCOM - where do we go now - could be interpreted as where is the band going now? Hinting at something new. Would've been cool I think.

Edited by KBear

I know. There was a reason why it happened like it did.

But think about how awsome it would be. He walking calmly onto the stage.

DO YOU KNOW WHERER THE FUCK YOU ARE

and then lights on the main stage turns on. And you hear the opening riff to Jungle. And the band is standing there ready to rock the shit out of the place.

That would be mindblowing.

I know. There was a reason why it happened like it did.

But think about how awsome it would be. He walking calmly onto the stage.

DO YOU KNOW WHERER THE FUCK YOU ARE

and then lights on the main stage turns on. And you hear the opening riff to Jungle. And the band is standing there ready to rock the shit out of the place.

That would be mindblowing.

These r all good ponts, but too much is being made, i loked his 2002 performance, the mainstream is just lost, just plain lost in hip---hop, and pretender bands, Ok, fine---that suckkkks , i try to except that-------

but AXL is still amazing, with that being said , it very simple, just rockkkkk the shit out of the place, I seen him play HAMMMERSTEIN, he played "BETTER" it was AMAZING, im sure , if the opening notes, came on, to BETTER, and AXL comers out slick, with the shades, and just does AXl, people would love it-------

the awards is lackkkkking, at least axl was there, he has a def. master plan, but for us fans, its fuckkkkin insane, but hey, thats GUNS N ROSES for ya------ but the point im trying to make, he def. couldve played BETTEr, or IRS, and easily gotten away with it, looking like the king and shitt------

I remember in 1998, MANSON did DOPe SHOW, and HOLE performed CELEBRITY SKIN, both were very, fresh and new, but people dug it, plus this is a different era, then even 2002, so, BETTER wouldve went over quite well, maybe next year111111111 rock2

Naturally I was dissapointed in what I saw, but you're right about looking a little more closely. I don't know how many people watch this show, but it is probably in the millions. That's a million or so people who a) know the guy's alive B) saw for themselves that he looks pretty good c) heard for themselves that he can still hit those f*cking notes. I think it's a positive thing overall. I know most of us feel let down, because we were waiting for a hint or something about the album, but that aside, I would agree with your point.

besides, the music is still amazing, the people that makkkke the music, always let us down, they r human beings, that shit, live, eat and breath,

besides Rock and roll , mainstream wise is all fuct up, nowadays, just having him, introduce the KILLERs is a tragedy-------WHAT A FUCKKKKKIn LAME ERA-------

like AXL says in COMA-------'what the fuckkkkkkkkkk is going onnnnnnnNNNNNNNNNNN?????????"

All publicity is good publicity.

Millions around the world saw him and know that he's still alive and rocking.

Quote from a newspaper- "There were a handful of notable moments: A healthy looking Axl Rose introducing The Killers performing their new track When You Were Young".

So all is not lost.

I still think it would have been a great tease to have Axl come out with the intro like he did, n' have the opening riff of Jungle bein' played by The Killers, and then have the lights go down n' they break into their song.

Remember, The Killers aren't GNR. The Killers lack a lot of talent that GNR have, so it would take The Killers too long to rehearse and get it right. :book: