Rap has done what Country could not do

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Country music is associated almost exclusively with rural whites, and Rap is associated almost exclusively with urban blacks. Both genres tend to be specific to certain races and geographies, but only one has ever dominated popular music. Rap has been on top for about ten years, and it's really quite remarkable when you think of it this way.

This isn't meant to be racist or as an insult to Country music. Fuck, you all know me...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rap wouldn't be as popular if it weren't for the poseurs buying the albums because it's the "in thing". did you know that 80% of rap record sales are bought by whites? mtv and big radio could make jazz sell better than rap if they wanted too, it's the image and marketing, not the music.

if you follow my logic, rap has nothing on country as far as selling to the intended demographic. you are way off. if you wanna prove me wrong, find me some black dudes square dancing.

rap wouldn't be as popular if it weren't for the poseurs buying the albums because it's the "in thing". did you know that 80% of rap record sales are bought by whites? mtv and big radio could make jazz sell better than rap if they wanted too, it's the image and marketing, not the music.

if you follow my logic, rap has nothing on country as far as selling to the intended demographic. you are way off. if you wanna prove me wrong, find me some black dudes square dancing.

I think you hit it spot on Dude.

Country music is associated almost exclusively with rural whites, and Rap is associated almost exclusively with urban blacks. Both genres tend to be specific to certain races and geographies, but only one has ever dominated popular music. Rap has been on top for about ten years, and it's really quite remarkable when you think of it this way.

This isn't meant to be racist or as an insult to Country music. Fuck, you all know me...

Wrong.

the target audience for both genres are at opposite ends of the spectrum, the obvious end being a lot more marketable, hence it's enormous popularity.

What an idiotic comparison.

rap wouldn't be as popular if it weren't for the poseurs buying the albums because it's the "in thing".

not where i am, it really isn't in and hasn't been for a while

i'd like to see a rapper that writes songs about a nice medow and that doesn't turn everything into gangster bullshit or how they had a hard life

then we'd see if it'd sell well

most people around me just like the ghetto shit that comes with rap, too many people here go around pretending their ghetto gangsters when they're just pussy kids who are rich enough to afford all the CDs and ADIDAS tracksuits

You are all missing the point. The fact that Rap has appealed to white audiences the way it has is why it has achieved something Country could not do. Like someone else said "show me a black dude squaredancing", yes that's exactly my point. Rap has escaped it's "intended demographic" in a way Country never has.

Try actually reading my posts before you call me an idiot, idiots.

why is it white people are so late on everything, i mean rock n roll, jazz and rap.

by the way im white, i am insulting myself

Do you atleast get my point Katie? I can't believe all these fools missed it.

why is it white people are so late on everything, i mean rock n roll, jazz and rap.

White people have done something any minority couldn't do, and that's taking credit for everything that's not theirs :P

And rap has been around since the late 70's, early 80's.

You are all missing the point. The fact that Rap has appealed to white audiences the way it has is why it has achieved something Country could not do. Like someone else said "show me a black dude squaredancing", yes that's exactly my point. Rap has escaped it's "intended demographic" in a way Country never has.

Try actually reading my posts before you call me an idiot, idiots.

what the hell are you on about? rap music is the way it is because black people lived under oppression. It's rebellious qualities are bound to to be popular with young music buyers. Country Music has never appealed to the young generation for obvious reasons.

Do you atleast get my point Katie? I can't believe all these fools missed it.

you dont make any "point" you blithering lunatic.

New Country is pretty damn huge...lotsa wannbe cowboys and cowgirls out there.

Shania Twain sold out two shows (it might have been three) at the Air Canada Centre last year.

Garth Brooks opened a Pandora's Box when he ripped off Kiss's stage show in the early 90's....New Country draws big crowds.

(but the real shit,like Willie Nelson...he only drew 5,000 people at Air Canada Centre)

In fact...when I think about it,I'm pretty much surrounded on a daily basis moreso by wigger rap kids and pretend yeehaw rednecks than I am rock fans.

There was a cool bar in town where I'd go to see bands like Ministry...it just changed ownership and is now called the Cowboy Bar.

It seems to me you don't make it in the music biz these days (no matter what genre) unless you have a flashy video to dazzle the masses with.Both New Country and Rap have done quite well as a result of these bullshit no substance videos.

Rap might be more popular with the kids,but on a grand scale New Country has a huge fan base as well.

Worldwide, Rap probably has the edge..but I think the popularity of New Country might have been downplayed a bit in this thread.

Country has never dominated the way Rap has though.

atom heart mother, it's one thing to disagree and argue reasonably, but all your capable of is immature jabs at me. I think I have a point here and you have none. You can shut it if your just going to call me an idiot without offering something worthwhile.

And besides, even if I had no point, do you have to be so rude?

What exactly is your point? Rap is more popular and has passed over race barriers, whereas country hasn't really... sooooo...?

That's my point.

Well then thank you for stating the obvious. I thought you were driving at something bigger.

No, I just realized it and thought it was interesting, sorry if you don't.

I do think it is interesting as well, but wonder if there is something deeper behind it. Posers are mentioned but why are people posers? If rich, or even middle class whites want to identify with poor minorities why is that? What are they missing? If I were a socialogist I would spend my life trying to understand the links between human beings and their music. It is I think as deep, profound and varied as any religious study. Rap for the most part is my least favorite music which in some way makes its attraction to others even more interesting. With this being a GnR forum I suppose we have more rock fans than anything, but for those with a diverse music base that includes rap you could explain what draws you in to that particular genre. If you want to remain anamous feel free to pm me. Sorry my spelling is bad but I just can't be arsed with it today :)