Will single be a video release first, or radio?

Kaneda

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe they don't want alot of "hype". what happens when you do the big "hype" thing? you get a big first week and then usually a big drop off the second week. also, you get people's already high expectations even higher.

maybe there's another approach. an approach that let's the album gather it's own steam. let people discover the album naturally. let the music do the talking, if you will. maybe have phases of publicity to keep the train on the tracks, so to speak. instead of the "crash and burn" mentality of so many other "hyped" releases.

it worked for AFD.

Edited by artfromtex

maybe they don't want alot of "hype". what happens when you do the big "hype" thing? you get a big first week and then usually a big drop off the second week. also, you get people's already high expectations even higher.

maybe there's another approach. an approach that let's the album gather it's own steam. let people discover the album naturally. let the music do the talking, if you will. maybe have phases of publicity to keep the train on the tracks, so to speak. instead of the "crash and burn" mentality of so many other "hyped" releases.

it worked for AFD.

Nice post...

I quite agree with you althought I still think that it should already be advertised by at least 2 or 3 vids if it will contain 13/15 songs.......

well i think we will get an exlusive interview with axl soon revealing the first single, real release date, track list and more about CD

why do i think it?

because after 13 years i think Axl would want a huge thing made of it instead of having someone leak all the information over the net (which will happen!)

it worked for AFD.

I think that is a possibility in theory, but I don't think for a second that the label would let a release of this magnitude come out without a PR explosion.

What the fuck does, "Let people discover the album naturally" even mean? Is there a natural, more organic way to discover Chinese D? Will there be a seed we plant, provide it with water and plenty of sunlight and in 8 weeks time, Chinese D will sprout up from the ground?

The reason why some albums crash and burn after only two weeks, is that the product sucks and once the hype dies down, the product can't stand on its own. Obviously if Chinese D is as great as we all hope it to be, this won't be a problem. But they need to come out of the gate strong and make a huge fucking marketing explosion.

Most people are unaware that Axl is still performing/releasing an album. Also, the record company wants to recoup its millions, they sure as hell want to get it all back the first week the album ships.

Lot's of you think this album needs no promotion, but it does. Anyone watching the VMAs last week is well aware of how much the musical landscape has changed since GNR ruled the world. Axl is seen as a has-been who once rocked...He needs promotion to sell this thing, plain and simple.

promotion is NOT needed

Hes Axl Rose. Eevrybody thats going to buy a CD will buy a CD.

Its not like he needs to create new fans.

You promote a CD release with a tour, IF you are going to promote it.

He didnt, so hes not. He is a business man so my guess is it will be out after thanksgiving in time for the Christmas shopping.

If he makes videos it will be for Blues, and Madagascar and maybe one or two of the other songs we have altready heard...... thats why he wore the same clothes at Hammerstein.

promotion is NOT needed

Hes Axl Rose. Eevrybody thats going to buy a CD will buy a CD.

Its not like he needs to create new fans.

You promote a CD release with a tour, IF you are going to promote it.

He didnt, so hes not. He is a business man so my guess is it will be out after thanksgiving in time for the Christmas shopping.

If he makes videos it will be for Blues, and Madagascar and maybe one or two of the other songs we have altready heard...... thats why he wore the same clothes at Hammerstein.

they do need promotion

maybe not in the states but definetly in europe

nobody knows whats happening over here unless your on the web

i talked to so many fans at dublin who didn't have a clue what was happening and some even thought it was the originals

eve today i was explaining to a teacher what was going on and he was shocked there was still a gnr

kanedat2ui6.jpg

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS BOY?

pc geek

Im touched :wub:

btw.......

picture1bw1.png

Care to explain yourself?

The best PWN yet? :xmasssanta: :rofl-lol:

Totally!!!! :rofl-lol: and as some mentioned before, Manson for Mod God :krider:

Kannon.

*on topic, I'm totally up for "promoting" here in NYC ;)

Edited by kannon21

1. What the fuck does, "Let people discover the album naturally" even mean? Is there a natural, more organic way to discover Chinese D? Will there be a seed we plant, provide it with water and plenty of sunlight and in 8 weeks time, Chinese D will sprout up from the ground?

2. The reason why some albums crash and burn after only two weeks, is that the product sucks and once the hype dies down, the product can't stand on its own. Obviously if Chinese D is as great as we all hope it to be, this won't be a problem. But they need to come out of the gate strong and make a huge fucking marketing explosion.

Most people are unaware that Axl is still performing/releasing an album. Also, the record company wants to recoup its millions, they sure as hell want to get it all back the first week the album ships.

Lot's of you think this album needs no promotion, but it does. Anyone watching the VMAs last week is well aware of how much the musical landscape has changed since GNR ruled the world. Axl is seen as a has-been who once rocked...He needs promotion to sell this thing, plain and simple.

1. GNR has/had a very broad fan base. there are different ways to market to each facet. answer this question; where have all the old fans gone? what do they listen to now? there's 10 differnent answers to those questions, and they're all correct. now, how do reach all those different sects of society. there's no one blanket to cover that. by, letting them discovery it naturally, i mean use different methods of advertising to appeal to the a)GNR fan turned soccer-mom, B) GNR fan turned country/western, NASCAR loving redneck, c) the metalheads, and on and on and on. instead of the typical broadstroke advertising methods that alot of albums get nowadays. i'm not saying "no promotion", i'm saying no "HYPE". there's a difference. i don't think press conferences and bloated bullshit like that are in order. for instance, Audioslave has a new song in Madden 07, that's fucking great marketing. what about a GNR paint scheme on a high profile car during one of the championship NASCAR races this fall? what about playing the halftime show during the Thanksgiving Day football (NFL) games? then there's web-based advertising. on and on.

2. this is why i hate "HYPE". even if the album is great, it's bound to disappoint people. hyping it in the media like a summer blockbuster movie will only add to that unrealistic expectation. you are right that alot of hyped shit is just that, "shit". but, even quality material can receive public backlash if you beat them over the head with it.