Will single be a video release first, or radio?

Kaneda

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the tour starts October 24th, as the man himself said, then we can IMO expect a single around October 15th at the latest. I think they realize that they need a single out there in order to support the tour. Doing a US Tour without a single for a second time is a very dumb idea.

An October 15th single nicely sets up the album for about one month later.

So the way I see it you might want to sit tight until mid October before bitching too much. Like I said, that's just how I see it. If there is nothing by then that's when I feel we have serious cause for concern. Yes, that will leave only one month to promote the album. A lot of people say it's not long enough. I see no reason why it wouldn't be. You are convincing people they need to buy a $10 album, not writing a new freaking Constitution or something.

I also tend to agree with artfromtex, at least in that they will want this album to have long-term momentum. Something similar to American Idiot, which was boosted big time by strong 2nd and 3rd singles. That is the key to sustained sales momentum...having multiple hit songs. Green Day then did stuff like Storytellers and released a DVD maybe a year after the album.

I have no doubt GN'R are looking at a similar scenario as AI, given the legacy they surely want this album to achieve and the fact that it definitely is achievable in the first place considering the talent involved. This will be a longer term process...not go nuts for two months and then hit the brakes.

Edited by KBear

If the tour starts October 24th, as the man himself said, then we can IMO expect a single around October 15th at the latest. I think they realize that they need a single out there in order to support the tour. Doing a US Tour without a single for a second time is a very dumb idea.

An October 15th single nicely sets up the album for about one month later.

So the way I see it you might want to sit tight until mid October before bitching too much. Like I said, that's just how I see it. If there is nothing by then that's when I feel we have serious cause for concern. Yes, that will leave only one month to promote the album. A lot of people say it's not long enough. I see no reason why it wouldn't be. You are convincing people they need to buy a $10 album, not writing a new freaking Constitution or something.

I also tend to agree with artfromtex, at least in that they will want this album to have long-term momentum. Something similar to American Idiot, which was boosted big time by strong 2nd and 3rd singles. That is the key to sustained sales momentum...having multiple hit songs. Green Day then did stuff like Storytellers and released a DVD maybe a year after the album.

I have no doubt GN'R are looking at a similar scenario as AI, given the legacy they surely want this album to achieve and the fact that it definitely is achievable in the first place considering the talent involved. This will be a longer term process...not go nuts for two months and then hit the brakes.

Well if having a strong 2nd and 3rd single is the case, then they should not release "Better" first, unless of course there is something even more awesome that we haven't heard yet. I think "Madagascar" could be a very good single. Other than those two, I guess they could just release "I.R.S." first off. The album will sell a ton at first just from die-hard fans like us buying it, so it won't necessarily need a ridiculously great single to start off with. It does need a hard rocking song as the first single, though. "I.R.S." certainly is a hard-rocker. "Better" is the best we've heard so far, and if I'm not mistaken AFD didn't take off until "Sweet Child O' Mine" was released as a single, which was like a year after the album was released. As great as "WTTJ" is, it had to be re-released AFTER "Sweet Child" in order to become a huge hit. So like I said, it would probably make the most sense to lead off the album with something other than "Better," unless there are some unheard songs that ARE better than "Better." :)

Edited by GNRfan2008