Is anyone else much less interested in Guns N' Roses than they used to be?

adnan

To be perfectly honest,I find myself wondering what the hell some people are doing at this forum.

Threads that talk about how cool the Spice Girls are,what an amazing talent Shakira is etc. alongside comments about how crappy Zeppelin is or how Hendrix is just a bunch of noise etc.

If you are actually talking about me, I hate Spice, I don't think Shakira is a great talent, I don't like Zeppelin but would never call them crap, and I think Hendrix is a genius.

I'm really not sure where you get these ideas about me....

It's just hard to recapture that same excitement you have when you first "discover" a band or an album that blows your mind.

The thing is, I can still listen to "Disraeli Gears", "Are You Experienced?", " Wheels of Fire", "Tommy", "Dark Side of the Moon", "Rocks", "Toys in the Attic", "Exile on Main Street", "Sticky Fingers", "461 Ocean Boulevard", and pretty much all my blues albums a lot, without losing any of the excitement.

It's not the same with GN'R, unfortunately. The music is still great, but it's just not THAT great anymore.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AFD was definitely an eye opener. And despite some moments of brilliance, the rest of the material didn't match up to expectations.

GNR was my absolute favorite for about a year when I was 14, but then I discovered Zeppelin, Hendrix, Maiden, Purple, and other genres. So by 15 GNR wasn't top of the list anymore, and they probably won't be again...

Guns n' who? but on a more serious note and I dont want this to sound cliched but when i first heard appetite it changed my life and Guns became my favourite band and it stayed that way for ages but the last time i played appetite was before i saw them and that was like 3 months ago, still love alot of the stuff from the uyi2 album but there just not that relevant in my life anymore really

To be perfectly honest,I find myself wondering what the hell some people are doing at this forum.

Threads that talk about how cool the Spice Girls are,what an amazing talent Shakira is etc. alongside comments about how crappy Zeppelin is or how Hendrix is just a bunch of noise etc.

If you are actually talking about me, I hate Spice, I don't think Shakira is a great talent, I don't like Zeppelin but would never call them crap, and I think Hendrix is a genius.

I'm really not sure where you get these ideas about me....

It's just hard to recapture that same excitement you have when you first "discover" a band or an album that blows your mind.

The thing is, I can still listen to "Disraeli Gears", "Are You Experienced?", " Wheels of Fire", "Tommy", "Dark Side of the Moon", "Rocks", "Toys in the Attic", "Exile on Main Street", "Sticky Fingers", "461 Ocean Boulevard", and pretty much all my blues albums a lot, without losing any of the excitement.

It's not the same with GN'R, unfortunately. The music is still great, but it's just not THAT great anymore.

no,not actually talking about you specifically..as stated,I said some people

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

After Guns, I got more into The Rolling Stones, and then Chicago Blues, and now more pre-war Blues, and the further back I go, the better it sounds.

I've been liking them more lately, just because I hadn't given all of UYI I and II's songs a good listen in quite a while. Also, I'm pumping myself up since I'm going to one of the SF concerts in two weeks. I don't listen to them exclusively though, I usually have some other stuff like Motley, Imogen Heap, and assorted video game soundtracks.

After Guns, I got more into The Rolling Stones, and then Chicago Blues, and now more pre-war Blues, and the further back I go, the better it sounds.

I'm similar, but I've never strayed into the 30's and 40's much.

I'm more of a jumble, I'm stuck in a 60's British Blues phase right now.

I still listen to them probably more than any other band...i'm not as obsessive as how I was in the beginning but i'm still pretty crazy about 'em! Motley Crue and aerosmith took over for a while, but Guns will always be my favorite band of all time.

It seems like my interest with them comes in like, shifts. Like I'll get bored of them for awhile and then in like a month I start lusting for the music again :lol:

Yeah that's true, after a break it can sound a lot better.

Hmm I don't know...I still believe that GN'R did (and arguably do) make great music. It's aged well and in some ways it has even more impact nowadays in comparison with the current indie music scene than back when metal/glam/punk influenced rock was more prevalent.

For me, it's simply through overplaying that that impact has diminished. This may seem weird but if Sweet Child comes on the radio, sometimes I turn it off because I don't want to become numb to that song. :book: Even classics can get worn out.

Hmm I don't know...I still believe that GN'R did (and arguably do) make great music. It's aged well and in some ways it has even more impact nowadays in comparison with the current indie music scene than back when metal/glam/punk influenced rock was more prevalent.

For me, it's simply through overplaying that that impact has diminished. This may seem weird but if Sweet Child comes on the radio, sometimes I turn it off because I don't want to become numb to that song. :book: Even classics can get worn out.

I haven't listened to UYI 1 for at least two months, I put it on yesterday, and it seemed really, really good, but it wasn't the same mindblowing experience it used to be.

The albums I listed lose none of their magic, even after overplaying them some.

Guest cherry_bomb

i listen to a lot of other stuff, but i always manage to listen to gnr every day. i kind of do it subconciously, i just put the cd or dvd on...its sort of a daily ritual i dont even mean to do. i didnt listen to them loads before i saw them this summer, but after all my little gnr adventures this summer i need more! so i listen to the leaks and live recordings from 2006 a lot.

Before y'all start the lynching, I am still a very big fan of this great band. I listen to them occasionally, but overall I find myself straying more and more away from them with my listening. Maybe because there are better bands that are similar (Aerosmith), who have bigger bodies of work and provide more varied listening, and maybe it's because I've been really straying off into the origins of pre-Zeppelin hard rock as well as listening to a lot of rock n' roll.

I dunno, they just don't seem to be as great as they initially were. I now think of Guns N' Roses as the threshold I passed through to begin my true musical journey. Before GN'R I listened mainly to reggae and blues, and older 60's rock. Now because of GN'R I find myself accessing more music than I ever thought of before I started listening to AFD.

So thank you Guns N' Roses, thank you for helping me on my way. I'm sure I'll make my way back to you sometime.

Very interesting thread adnan. Guns N' Roses was the first band i ever got into and if it wasn't for them i would never of gotten into The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, AC/DC, The Beatles and Led Zeppelin which sounds ridiculous as all these bands were around way before GN'R. It was because GN'R opened new doors for me in liking different types of music more specifically Rock music. So occasionally i stray from GN'R and pay more attention to the bands i mentioned but i never stray too far.

I am getting more into them as time moves by. I have been into them since the begining, and back then even I was buying bootlegs from a ail order place, and pen pals. Now its so easy to get in touch and get things that it has driven me more into this band. One thing has not changed over the years and that is the not knowledge about this band, we know no more today then before the internet!

gunsguy

Before y'all start the lynching, I am still a very big fan of this great band. I listen to them occasionally, but overall I find myself straying more and more away from them with my listening. Maybe because there are better bands that are similar (Aerosmith), who have bigger bodies of work and provide more varied listening, and maybe it's because I've been really straying off into the origins of pre-Zeppelin hard rock as well as listening to a lot of rock n' roll.

I dunno, they just don't seem to be as great as they initially were. I now think of Guns N' Roses as the threshold I passed through to begin my true musical journey. Before GN'R I listened mainly to reggae and blues, and older 60's rock. Now because of GN'R I find myself accessing more music than I ever thought of before I started listening to AFD.

So thank you Guns N' Roses, thank you for helping me on my way. I'm sure I'll make my way back to you sometime.

Just what I feel. I haven't listened to Gn'R or posted in the discussion section in ages. I'm listening to much more new music right now.

Still, the Gn'R poster is still on my wall. And I still appreciate them.

Guest Sweet_Emotion
I went through my obsessive Guns N' Roses stage for about a year. Now when I listen to the songs, of course they are great, but it's not as cool as before. I always kill my favourites through overplaying...but hopefully in a few months it will sound fresh again.

that's it right there ^^^ lol.