Motley Crue

adnan

I don't know what idiot mod merged a general band topic with a topic about a specific song... <_<

I always liked them somewhat, but re-listening to some of the albums, it becomes apparent that I definitely underrated them. Vince was a good vocalist, Mick's guitar is great, Tommy is a great drummer (that I never denied), and Nikki rocks.

There's a lot of really, really good music here, it's not just party rock, there's more to it. I definitely underrated the Crue. The best songs are insantly memorable and unforgettable, and there are a lot of Crue songs that match that description. The guitar solos are one of the flaws, along with Vince's occasionally annoying lyrics.

Overall, I must say I've become more of a Motley Crue fan recently. Stuff like "Use or Lose It", "Girls Girls Girls", "Wild Side", the cover of "Helter Skelter", "Live Wire", "Kickstart My Heart" is instantly loveable loud, hard rock at its best.

I love it, it's no wonder they sold so many albums in the 80's.

Edited by adnan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always liked them somewhat, but re-listening to some of the albums, it becomes apparent that I definitely underrated them. Vince was a good vocalist, Mick's guitar is great, Tommy is a great drummer (that I never denied), and Nikki rocks.

There's a lot of really, really good music here, it's not just party rock, there's more to it. I definitely underrated the Crue. The best songs are insantly memorable and unforgettable, and there are a lot of Crue songs that match that description. The guitar solos are one of the flaws, along with Vince's occasionally annoying lyrics.

Overall, I must say I've become more of a Motley Crue fan recently. Stuff like "Use or Lose It", "Girls Girls Girls", "Wild Side", the cover of "Helter Skelter", "Live Wire", "Kickstart My Heart" is instantly loveable loud, hard rock at its best.

I love it, it's no wonder they sold so many albums in the 80's.

Edited by adnan

they're awesome... nikki sixx is a metal genius as far as i'm concerned. he wrote most of the songs, so i wouldn't blame vince for the shit lyrics at times. too bad he's not a better bass player.

i can't wait till i see them - 9 more days. it'll be my second time seeing them, and my 5th seeing aerosmith. i get more and more excited every time i see aerosmith, they're always spot on. i'm just a little upset about tom not being with them for my show. hope he has a good recovery though

A lot of people don't like them cuz of the axl/vince thang. stupid. i only really like kickstart my heart, live wire and some other tunes.

I just don't think Motley Crue was very original. I have a problem with music like Girls, Girls, Girls and Dr. Feelgood...just can't appreciate them. I love Nirvana so I wouldn't say Axl rivalries are the reason I dislike the crue. FOr instance, a lot of Crue material can be similar in the writing to Appetite for Destruction songs. Drugs, Sex, and rocknroll. AFD album doesn't really appeal that much to me....I'm definitely more of a Use Your Illusions rock fan.

A lot of people don't like them cuz of the axl/vince thang. stupid. i only really like kickstart my heart, live wire and some other tunes.

I just don't think Motley Crue was very original. I have a problem with music like Girls, Girls, Girls and Dr. Feelgood...just can't appreciate them. I love Nirvana so I wouldn't say Axl rivalries are the reason I dislike the crue. FOr instance, a lot of Crue material can be similar in the writing to Appetite for Destruction songs. Drugs, Sex, and rocknroll. AFD album doesn't really appeal that much to me....I'm definitely more of a Use Your Illusions rock fan.

Well, not everyone. People always bring up Axl and the stupid "fight." Claiming that like Vince wanted to be like Axl and no one should like him for that or whatever junk someone can imagine. I don't think a lot of music from the 80's was totally original but a lot of the tunes from the time are catchy and you get attached at the spur of the moment. Motley was that way. They captured the essence of the time and incorporated it into their music. It's just about fun and in a way "the decadance of rock n roll." :rolleyes:

..i hate quoting gnr songs.

It's not blasphemous like you would think it would be, it's an excellent cover IMO.

It's one of the best covers IMO.

i agree, it's really awesome. however, their cover of anarchy in the uk sucks pretty bad IMO

the anarchy cover is ghastly..

I love Motley Crue. One of my favourite bands. I don't know why people don't like them. Vince back in the day was a fucking awsome frontman, Mick is a totally underrated guitarist and the other 2 are just legends anyway. Too Fast For Love is probably my favourite Crue album. It's quite Glam and pop as well as rock. It's a fucking cool album.

Most people hate Vince Neil. Why? Fuck knows. He's fucking awsome. Considering all the shit he went through aswell. If you read the chapter in The Dirt about Skylar his daughter i'm sure most people would understand why he went off the rails a bit. Thats really sad. But hey he bounced back!

Yeah some of the stuff they did was pretty shit. Theatre of Pain and Girls Girls Girls could have been so much better. But on the whole, fucking brilliant songs!

Check out the 83 American festival they did. They fuckin won that thing hands down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG0N-YnQNno - Shout At The Devil 1st time they ever played it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYHr1Y_U7E0 - Knock 'em Dead Kid

- Bastard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4jFgR57-_s...ted&search= - Take Me To The Top

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXNQq_vkxWE...ted&search= - Merry Go Round

Despite microphone problems...Brilliant!!!

Edited by Crash Diet

I like the Crue. They've always been one of my favorite alternatives when I listen to something that's not GNR. Vince came to my city as the opening act for the Scorpions this summer, and he actually sounded on top of his game. I'm also a big fan of Mick's guitar work.

Edited by Kaleigh

I love Motley Crue. One of my favourite bands. I don't know why people don't like them. Vince back in the day was a fucking awsome frontman, Mick is a totally underrated guitarist and the other 2 are just legends anyway. Too Fast For Love is probably my favourite Crue album. It's quite Glam and pop as well as rock. It's a fucking cool album.

Most people hate Vince Neil. Why? Fuck knows. He's fucking awsome. Considering all the shit he went through aswell. If you read the chapter in The Dirt about Skylar his daughter i'm sure most people would understand why he went off the rails a bit. Thats really sad. But hey he bounced back!

dude that chapter is one of the saddest things i think i ever read. that whole book is awesome

also, sweetness you won't be dissappointed - last year they had a psycho circus theme that included more pyro than any band i've ever seen, strippers, midgets, firebreathing roadies, and motorcycles. doesn't get too much better than that

Edited by bass71player

i only like certain songs by them... i tend to like the more heavier ones. i find Girls, Girls, Girls, and Same Ol' Situation etc too cheesey sounding. They just give me that feeling. I like Sick Love Song and Kickstart My Heart and others that i can't really think of right now..

I always liked them somewhat, but re-listening to some of the albums, it becomes apparent that I definitely underrated them. Vince was a good vocalist, Mick's guitar is great, Tommy is a great drummer (that I never denied), and the rest of the band is also really good (especially Nikki).

That made me laugh :laugh:

As it don't make sense... Motley has 4 members, you already named 3, and then said the rest of the band is good (espescially the 4th member) :laugh:

I think that Mötley's versions of both Helter Skelter and Anarchy are awesome, maybe even better than the originals, at least Anarchy.

Street Fighting Man, however, sucks bigtime!

Mötley is really one of the best bands to walk this earth! Nikki Sixx is a great songwriter. I don't understand why people say he's not a good bass player though. If you listen to some of the later albums, Dr. Feelgood and the Corabi albums, he is playing really good.

Another thing I don't understand, is that everyone hate Crüe with John Corabi. He is really a great songwriter and he is a much better singer than Neil. I like Vince better than Corabi, but Corabi is underrated.

Edited by knerken

i've always thought that Motley's "Helter Skelter" was wicked. they really make the song sound like the lyrics. evil! Vince's voice on that song is outstanding. man, from '81-85 they were the best band in the world. Shout At The Devil and Too Fast For Love are 2 of the greatest albums of all time, to me anyway.