Ex–‘White-Boy Poseur’

TheDemocracyRose

htgth.com

Ex–‘White-Boy Poseur’

Axl Rose: Album delay is for the fans.

By Jada Yuan

Axl Rose started out screeching about being “just an urchin livin’ under the street,” but in the thirteen years he’s been working on the oft-delayed album Chinese Democracy (at a price that’s exceeded $13 million), he’s had time to reflect on heavy-metal posturing. “We thought we were so badass,” he said in the greenroom at the VMAs. “Then N.W.A. came out rapping about this world where you walk out of your house and you get shot. It was just so clear what stupid little white-boy poseurs we were. It was like, ‘All right, we can give up the act.’ If you’re talking about which lifestyle is more hard-core, the one where you get shot always wins.” So what’s the holdup with Chinese Democracy, Axl? “It’s not about being a control freak. It’s about being maybe smart enough to go, ‘No, that’s a bad idea.’ That’s all it’s about—keeping the ability to at least have a shot as opposed to something that’s just an obvious disaster. I want to make a good record. I don’t want to throw a brick. This cannot be Shaq at the free-throw line.” Rose promises the album will be released by the end of the year.

Source(s): http://www.newyorkmetro.com/

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My initial thought about what he said: No no no Axl, the crazy drunk badass rock white boy is what we still want.

But, I guess we have to accept the fact that it's in the past and now he is more mature, the band is more mature, everything is more mature.

I don't necessarily want a perfect, finely combed through, predictable album. It's just not very 'rock n' roll" to me, you know?

Nobody knows exactly what he's trying to pull at this point, but I sure hope he does... :unsure:

**Still patiently waiting for Chinese Democracy**

My initial thought about what he said: No no no Axl, the crazy drunk badass rock white boy is what we still want.

But, I guess we have to accept the fact that it's in the past and now he is more mature, the band is more mature, everything is more mature.

I don't necessarily want a perfect, finely combed through, predictable album. It's just not very 'rock n' roll" to me, you know?

Nobody knows exactly what he's trying to pull at this point, but I sure hope he does... :unsure:

:) Very well said PCG! I agree. He has matured a lot through the years. There will be no comeback for the ltitle shorts I guess...

Well time goes by and we are not getting another appetite. That is for sure. but I think we can be very pleased with the direction he is going. Personally I think what he said about what he was trying to do some time ago sets all the bricks into posissions.

Where he says he is trying to make a album much like queen. (since he's huge fan) A album that has something safe and something every old fan will like. And something new. Something that might open doors for the fans. Into new areas of music that is uncharted for them. And first you will probably go "WTF" but after awhile you will start to understand it and then it will seriusly rock.

First time I heard better, I found the intro rather odd. And didn't like it at all. But after a few times I loved it. Adn now I can't get enough of that song. And it has so many levels. Guess that is something of the part of maturing. It's not just the observational lyrics that says things just as they sees them. But more about feelings and metafors (like in TWAT).

When the old guys left things where never to be the same again. And if you expect that I think your up for the biggest dissepointent of your life.

It's official. I have no interest whatsoever in what Mr. W. Axl Rose ever does anymore. He lost all credibility to me.

Axl mature? Ha. Hahaha.

"Dude, we thought we were badass, but whoa, those dudes were so much more badass than us. Dude they're cool. Man, we was white boy wankstas, yo. Shit, I be like Shaquille O'Neil ot there on the free throw line man. And rock is stupid."

Edited by DirtyDeeds

I think the main holdup with this record is not that Axl is worried about throwing a brick...I think he just changes his mind so damn much...jumping from one trend to the next and tinkering endlessly with his songs in the studio...

I also don't understand his comment about "white boy posers"...just because the NWA life in the hood involved getting shot on the streets doesn't somehow take away the credibility of guys like Slash and Axl who lived in a one-room shack writing songs on pizza boxes and got strung out to the point of near-death on the streets of LA. Seriously...ain't nothing about appetite era GnR that would qualify as poserish. Even their critics knew they were the real deal. What Axl is saying in that article is bullshit.

Dirty Deeds: Right on...

Edited by SylvesterStallone

I think the main holdup with this record is not that Axl is worried about throwing a brick...I think he just changes his mind so damn much...jumping from one trend to the next and tinkering endlessly with his songs in the studio...

I also don't understand his comment about "white boy posers"...just because the NWA life in the hood involved getting shot on the streets doesn't somehow take away the credibility of guys like Slash and Axl who lived in a one-room shack writing songs on pizza boxes and got strung out to the point of near-death on the streets of LA. Seriously...ain't nothing about appetite era GnR that would qualify as poserish. Even their critics knew they were the real deal. What Axl is saying in that article is bullshit.

Dirty Deeds: Right on...

axl was blown out on coke when he said that . . .

Wow, some of you guys are really getting bent out of shape.

Seriously, who's a more valid judge of the harshness of Axl's life? A bunch of rock fans who hold AFD up as some sacred golden calf, or Axl himself?

Some people just can't take criticism of the image of GNR... And if anyone's got a valid opinion on the subject, it's Axl himself.

Wow, some of you guys are really getting bent out of shape.

Seriously, who's a more valid judge of the harshness of Axl's life? A bunch of rock fans who hold AFD up as some sacred golden calf, or Axl himself?

Some people just can't take criticism of the image of GNR... And if anyone's got a valid opinion on the subject, it's Axl himself.

GNR were looked at as the "Don't give a fuck" band. A dangerous band, and now Axl is shitting on that legacy by saying...."we were white boy posers" and we shouldn't wonder about it and be pissed?

Axl was a poser, that was obvious. He should speak for himself instead of the band.

Edited by bin laden killed gnr

I kind of see Axl's comment as very modest and mature.

I don't think his intent was to shit on the band's past. They went through tough times for sure, but I think a lot of bands and rappers try to use their past struggles to sell themselves. That whole element of being a "bad boy" to get respect and credit is pure adolescent bullshit. I think Axl realizes now that his attitude back then was at odds with what he has come to discover about life.

There was an interview with Axl around the time when his feud with Vince Neil was taking off. He was bloody pissed and invited Vince to go 1-on-1 with fists, knives, guns, whatever he had. This kind of statement reflects the immaturity of the old Axl. Sure, he can talk shit by the loads, but would he ever take it to that level? I'm not so sure he would. What would he even have to prove by doing so? So many dumb kids these days wanna be macho and Axl was definitely one of them.

While Motley Crue releases 'The Dirt' and tries to glorify their "dangerous" lifestyle, making themselves seem way more badass than they probably were, I'm impressed that Axl has taken the more insightful route, recognizing the naivete of that whole LA scene.

One thing I'm not so sure about, though, is whether Axl feels inferior to NWA and "the boys" simply because they lived riskier lives. I hate that whole idea of street-cred and how people have so much respect for chumps who survived gunfights and crap. Those kinds of people and those kinds of lifestyles seem to be so glorified these days that kids actually want to go through all that garbage, instead of learning how to avoid it.

To me, GNR were dangerous in a different way. They stuck it to the man, like old-school rock bands, during a time when rock bands were playing by corporate rules. They looked awesome and their music was amazing, so in that sense, they were badasses. Maybe they didn't engage themselves in armed combat every night, but personally, I don't think the credibility of musicians should be measured by acts of such foolery.

Edited by bluesy

GNR were looked at as the "Don't give a fuck" band. A dangerous band, and now Axl is shitting on that legacy by saying...."we were white boy posers" and we shouldn't wonder about it and be pissed?

Actually you really shouldn't. First off, he's not "shittong on the legacy", he's telling it as it is. GN'R may have been bad, but in comparison to a lot of others--their badass attitude wasn't shit.

Second, you really shouldn't be pissed because it's not YOUR legacy to worry about. It's his and the old band's, and if the old band has any objection to what he said, they are grown men just as he is and can counter his statement.

Axl was a poser, that was obvious. He should speak for himself instead of the band.

Yeah. A real poseur. Such a poseur, that was arrested many many times for brawling and other offences in his youth, spent 3 months in prison during that time, and was almost charged as a Habitual criminal. Not only that, but also a man who helped create some of the greatest rock songs of the last twenty five years. Yeah, you're right, he ain't got shit on you, cause you're the real thing buddy. :rolleyes: