Ex–‘White-Boy Poseur’

TheDemocracyRose

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So,

Having said what he said, does this mean he regrets the life he lived in the appetite days or what? Like , he thinks it was all sortof an act or joke? I sure hope not! :unsure:

Mabye i'm over-analayzing this.

Actually, pretty sure we all are :ph34r: .

Youre right, reading it again I can picture him saying it with a smile and not all seriously like we take it, its probably only meant to be a compliment towards NWA.

Edited by sweetness

Axl just knows his target market. When I was 15 I had a gay leather jacket and a GNR t-shirt (one in a miilion) jeans and boots and I would listen to Straight Outta Compton on my walkman on the bus everyday. And not really because I identified with them. It was more like thrill seeking. The lyrics were crazy and tunes were unrelenting. It was like a movie. But even then I didn't completely buy that they would shoot a motherfucker in a minute and find a good piece of pussy and go up in it. But it sounded cool.

*If* Axl really said that, he sounds like someone who a decade+ later is still grasping for a reason on why he brought the band to a premature demise. And relating it to NWA is a ridiculous stretch. :rolleyes:

Let's face it, there was only 1 person in the old lineup who was out there being(acting?) an eccentric hardass and that was Axl. HE was the one starting all the fights...HE was the one diving after fans in the crowd...HE was the one consistently late to shows and sparking riots, etc. It was always said to be the contrast of the mercurial Axl Rose and the laid back Slash and gang who just wanted to play their rock. Axl was the lightening rod and if the NWA crowd would've wanted to go after anyone, it would've been him.

The others haven't changed a bit, it is Axl who tried to morph from the old badass to the supposedly mature sensitive musician. But even in his 40's, in his first tour, he's sampling the legs of security guards.

I don't think Axl was a poser back in the day, I think it's who he was and STILL is. It was just a really bad analogy with the NWA thing if he did make it...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

*If* Axl really said that, he sounds like someone who a decade+ later is still grasping for a reason on why he brought the band to a premature demise. And relating it to NWA is a ridiculous stretch. :rolleyes:

Let's face it, there was only 1 person in the old lineup who was out there being(acting?) an eccentric hardass and that was Axl. HE was the one starting all the fights...HE was the one diving after fans in the crowd...HE was the one consistently late to shows and sparking riots, etc. It was always said to be the contrast of the mercurial Axl Rose and the laid back Slash and gang who just wanted to play their rock. Axl was the lightening rod and if the NWA crowd would've wanted to go after anyone, it would've been him.

The others haven't changed a bit, it is Axl who tried to morph from the old badass to the supposedly mature sensitive musician. But even in his 40's, in his first tour, he's sampling the legs of security guards.

I don't think Axl was a poser back in the day, I think it's who he was and STILL is. It was just a really bad analogy with the NWA thing if he did make it...

Dude the whole band was that way, it's just that Axl is the frontman, so EVERYTHING gets attributed to him. That comment may as well apply to Slash drugging and drinking himself to death, or them going to a club and beating up Poison because they were "hardcore" and Poison were posers. Don't just pick out 3 examples of what Axl did, and make it sound like the rest of the band were not "the most dangerous band in the world". I remember them and what they did, it most definitely was not just Axl.

Also, to a previous comment, the AFD era GnR were already rich, they were just getting to where they could shake off the lifestyle that they had to live pre-AFD, so don't make it sound like the band was dirt poor and living the hard life while they were opening for Aerosmith. The PR machine tried to play the sleazy image up, but GnR were already trying to shake that. Isn't it obvious that early AFD GNR was not who they really were? Did you ever see Axl with his hair teased out ala Motley Crue after the Jungle vid? I think Axl has had to deal with that ghost for his whole professional career, because of many fans who won't let that image go. I personally don't want GnR lumped in with the bulk of that talentless, fake group of Hair Bands, so I don't hold on to that image. AFD is my favorite ALBUM of all time, but the image that GnR, and especially Axl as the frontman, were cast into, was forgettable. The reason GnR is my favorite band is because they continue to make great music, and has absolutely nothing to do with any image they portray. In fact, I respect them for shunning the fakeness they were forced into to "make it" as AFD was being released.

My rambling is now done.

Dude the whole band was that way, it's just that Axl is the frontman, so EVERYTHING gets attributed to him. That comment may as well apply to Slash drugging and drinking himself to death, or them going to a club and beating up Poison because they were "hardcore" and Poison were posers. Don't just pick out 3 examples of what Axl did, and make it sound like the rest of the band were not "the most dangerous band in the world". I remember them and what they did, it most definitely was not just Axl.

Also, to a previous comment, the AFD era GnR were already rich, they were just getting to where they could shake off the lifestyle that they had to live pre-AFD, so don't make it sound like the band was dirt poor and living the hard life while they were opening for Aerosmith. The PR machine tried to play the sleazy image up, but GnR were already trying to shake that. Isn't it obvious that early AFD GNR was not who they really were? Did you ever see Axl with his hair teased out ala Motley Crue after the Jungle vid? I think Axl has had to deal with that ghost for his whole professional career, because of many fans who won't let that image go. I personally don't want GnR lumped in with the bulk of that talentless, fake group of Hair Bands, so I don't hold on to that image. AFD is my favorite ALBUM of all time, but the image that GnR, and especially Axl as the frontman, were cast into, was forgettable. The reason GnR is my favorite band is because they continue to make great music, and has absolutely nothing to do with any image they portray. In fact, I respect them for shunning the fakeness they were forced into to "make it" as AFD was being released.

My rambling is now done.

That's bullshit. You don't remember well. The others haven't tried to shun anything except their past additions which were REAL.

The topic here, which Axl apparently brought up, is about posing and NWA somehow being a factor. AXL wrote One in a Million, right? I could go on and on with examples and we all know he got alienated from the rest of the band with his volatile, irratic and eccentric behavior. Hell, they probably would've helped NWA go after him at that point... ;)

I think Axl's saying that compared to these rappers who go out dealing and getting shot and shooting at each other what he and the guys got up to was nothing (no one died!) In fact I was having this talk with someone and I was saying that while me and my mates could look up and admire Guns N Roses rebeliousness and behaviour we didn't feel the need to copy it while all these kids think that they need to be like those they admire and they carry guns, deal drugs and kill each other.

At 44 Axl isn't the same young rebel but like us all there's still a touch of that there and always will be hence his couple of recent incidents, I'm 20 years older than I was when I first started following GnR and I don't lose my temper as quick as I did and I certainly don't get into fights but I'm still known to be firey and probably always will be!

Jo

It's true no 44-year old man is gonna say, "Hey, listen to this cool part at the end of Rocket Queen where we fucked this chick in the studio and recoreded it. I'm a real artist, I'm proud about it. And that lyric 'turn around bitch' that really has deep political ramifications for me." So yeah they were immature poseurs from an adult perspective and that's why the grown ups hated GNR and why the kids loved them.

I'm sure there were.

But in this quote there are the main points Axl wants to get over that he wasn't that much of a bad boy in the first place and now he is making much better music than before. He's grown up, he isn't a poseur anymore and he hasn't released the record until the music was really good.