Same Old Setlist?

goldfinger19

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone but the most intense fan boys would be disappointed by the setlist. That is not saying people didn't enjoy the show or like the members.

I went to see the band twice in the UK and was disappointed by the setlist. It really is farcical for them to still be rehashing 2002 setlists based on 20 year old songs they didn't write plus the odd new song. The Euro tour as it was shouldn't really have happened at all and the current leg of the US tour shouldn't either.

What the band should have done it turn up at Rio with a Chinese Democracy dominated setlist and release an album and a single as they kicked off the American leg of the tour. A insane suggestion it may be, but they suffer for every gig they do without any material being released. You've got the situation at the moment where 1,500 capacity venues are not selling out despite pre-sales and radio promotion (Not from the band obviously).

I hope this first show isn't and indication of what we will hear for the whole tour. We heard rumblings about Don't Cry and other new songs being added, and quite frankly I was fully expecting to see some "unnamed new song" as part of their setlist last night. Discuss...

That's quite ignorant.

First of all it's just the first show of the tour. If people say something is gonna happen during the tour that does NOT mean it will by definition happen at the first show.

Secondly, what's wrong with playing a similar setlist all the time. Different crowds get about the same stuff and that's pretty fair to me. Almost every artist does it, with a few minor changes maybe. Aside from that you don't know if they even rehearsed other old songs. It's not like it's the same 199x band that knows them all. Most people that buy a ticket go to one show. Not 2, 3 or 10. So what's the problem with a similar set on a tour?

Your problem is purely that you have too high expectations.

Very unrealistic imo.

Your sig says it all. They are dragging it out to the extremes of believability.

The album should be out already.

Anyone but the most intense fan boys would be disappointed by the setlist. That is not saying people didn't enjoy the show or like the members.

I went to see the band twice in the UK and was disappointed by the setlist. It really is farcical for them to still be rehashing 2002 setlists based on 20 year old songs they didn't write plus the odd new song. The Euro tour as it was shouldn't really have happened at all and the current leg of the US tour shouldn't either.

What the band should have done it turn up at Rio with a Chinese Democracy dominated setlist and release an album and a single as they kicked off the American leg of the tour. A insane suggestion it may be, but they suffer for every gig they do without any material being released. You've got the situation at the moment where 1,500 capacity venues are not selling out despite pre-sales and radio promotion (Not from the band obviously).

Well what the hell did you expect? For them to play all of CD? That's very unrecognisable material to most people there. They need to show people the band first with material the people know. Just let them do it at their pass.

Again: Why do people have all these extreme expectations?!!!

It's expectations like this that would make CD a flop...no matter how good it will be. :rolleyes:

The only people that have made it a flop are the band themselves, by their refusal to release it.

2002 was their opportunity for them to drag out the old songs and raise some cash. To repeat that 4 years later isn't good. The fans know who's in the band apart from maybe bbf.

At this stage, forgetting the time wasting in Europe, why couldn't they release a single prior to this current tour? Why not? Get out and play that live, maybe attract some new fans. Then start slipping in a couple of genuinely new songs and release the album.

Why they are persisting with the old material is beyond me. The shows are not popular, tickets are not flying out and there is no real buzz or hype about the band. They create the bad press they receive through their own inability to release any material, and for the managements refusal to publicise the band.

pretend for a moment that you never ever went on a gnr forum in your life. You wouldnt know the setlist for the 2002 tour unless u went to every show, you wouldn't know the setlist for the 2006 europe tour, you would have never heard better, irs, twat, the blues, maddagascar or chinese democracy. You would judge the show purely on what you see and you would be far from dissapointed by that setlist. Why should you flame gnr for your own mistake.

I say this time after time after time.

The magority of fans aren't diehards. They don't look up setlists on the internet. They WANT to hear the old ones live. People were chating for "play something we know" when they did play new songs.

The fans that go don't know or really care about Chinese Democracy. Not every fan that goes to see GNR are like the fans on here.

Fact is, there is no integrity about playing predominantly old material every night. Especially when it's a completly new band.

Now apparently the album will arrive this year (hmm) and then hopefully things will change. Until then, don't expect everyone to be happy about the current situation.

That will be my final post on the issue. Wouldn't want to beat a dead horse and get another scolding from the admin. :scared:

Its the same old setlist for us the internet junkies, however 99% of the fans in attendance wouldn't realize that cause they don't know the setlist from previous shows, there are only a handfull of members here that acctually attended the show...

so same to us

new to most

Gunsguy

I hope this first show isn't and indication of what we will hear for the whole tour. We heard rumblings about Don't Cry and other new songs being added, and quite frankly I was fully expecting to see some "unnamed new song" as part of their setlist last night. Discuss...

yer disappointed???? :lol:

like who gives a shiat?! ....Axl ain't gonna please every one....especially those Internet fans that don't even show up at the show! ..aside that....Axl will be playing the city's he hasn't been there for over a decade. You think the fans will want to hear the new songs or the old GNR Hits??

idiots!

Guest cherry_bomb

its pretty stupid to be disappointed. this is just the warm up to the big tour, you american people are getting what the europeans had. its serving the same purpose as the european tour; drumming up interest and fans. dont think just because you live in the states you deserve a new/different set list.

like who gives a shiat?! ....Axl ain't gonna please every one....especially those Internet fans that don't even show up at the show! ..aside that....Axl will be playing the city's he hasn't been there for over a decade. You think the fans will want to hear the new songs or the old GNR Hits??

"I hope they play more of new songs, and less of old!"

Funny how opinions can change, huh?

I won't argue that they should add a lot of brand new songs. I get that they want to wait for that and the wait shouldn't be long. What I don't get is that they can't add songs like Yesterdays, Dead Horse, Breakdown, DTJ (when Izzy appears), etc. Aside from the new tracks they are playing the same thing as in 2002. People say that the band needs to play songs the casual fan will know - frankly I couldn't give a shit if the casual fan knows a song or not, but whatever - the casual fan will know Illusion songs; hell they would know SIDHY, which would be better than KOHD (which has become a momentum killer - GN'R made that song their own, but now they play it like everyone else who covers it). If fans don't know these songs then they aren't GN'R fans and so why should I care about their enjoyment of a Guns show?

Like I said, I don't really give a crap about the general fan. I can only tell you what I think from my perspective. It's a bit of a disappointment to get the same songs now for the 2002 tour, Europe 2006, and now maybe North America 2006.

I know this topic is beating a dead horse, but it's a valid concern from our (Internet fans) perspective. A lot of people have raised this issue and I'm sure the band knows about it. IMO there is nothing wrong with throwing us a bone while we wait for Chi Dem to come out, and there is no risk in alienating anyone by playing UYI tracks.

Wait and see I guess.

"I hope they play more of new songs, and less of old!"

Funny how opinions can change, huh?

well, exactly what I stated above....Axl ain't going to please me at every show.

Personally i like to hear more new songs...that doesnt mean 99% of GNR fan base wants the same thing!

Ffs what are you moaning about. You got to see GnR play live. They probably played some of your favourites. If you thought they were going to play lots of new songs then you are incredibly niave. Why can't you just go to a gig and enjoy the music, they haven't toured for a long time, fuckin enjoy it.

Why should the US tour have a different set list to the European leg? You aint special.........