Same Old Setlist?

goldfinger19

The arguement that we can't expect more new songs since the album isn't out is missing the point IMO. They have 4-5 new songs that they have already played and are already all over the net, yet they still won't play them, so whats the excuse there?

Someone will say the casual fans want to hear the old shit, ok fine, but these same fans don't give a shit about GNRs most famous cover songs and a bunch of solos.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a firm believer that the musician should play what the fans want to hear. And in this case it is more new songs to give us a glimpse as to why we have waited so long for this album and not the same old cover songs. If I want to hear KOHD, I'll go see Dylan (I am in November). Most of the time fans don't want to hear new songs at concerts and they are often the lowpoint of the shows, but in GNR's case, that is what most of the "hardcore" fans really want to hear in 2006. Were paying a good amount of money to see them live, why not play the songs we want to hear? But in all fairness they don't play a straight setlist, there are some modifcations on important dates, like at Download. Even give us Chinese Democracy and TWAT more often and I'd be happy. I'm just a dreamer.

If that's true...it's a bit troubling that the keyboard player of a hard rock band is getting bigger cheers than the lead guitarist...

I'd say it was about even. But considering Dizzy was the only other member most of the people there knew before the concert, I dont see whats so troubling. :question: Robin got a great reaction from the crowd, especially on the second night.

Last night at the show, some dude behind me yelled, 'fuck yea, he's not slash, but shit he's fucking amazing!!'(on robin).

Ouch. People are still talking about Slash, huh?

Guess it's to be expected, considering the setlist.

and actually that was the only time I heard that washed up guitarist whose cock you worship's name mentioned at either show. :shades:

fuck slash. who cares. This is a great band and he is not fucking missed one bit.

Wow dude, you must not have been listening too closely. I heard Slash calls all fucking night from where I was (started tenth row, moved up to third on the right as each crappy solo thinned the crowd). I myself probably called Slash's name twenty times (blame all the whiskey). It's kinda hard not to when all you hear over and over again is Slash songs with no Slash. At one point I heard a pretty strong chant for Slash. probably about 10-15 people strong coming from over my left shoulder.

I think you're in denial, my friend. But if you're happy there, why should anyone care. I'm glad you got to meet Finck. It was probably a thrill for him to get a compliment after all these years.

Dude, shouting "slash" when its 10 years since he left is sad and pathetic...

I was at the Saturday show in Vegas and I noticed that Axl's energy went up 100% when they were playing the new songs. He was like the Axl of old, very animated, very emotional, and the band seemed a lot tighter with the new stuff. In that respect I am dissapointed that there aren't new songs being played.

However, most of the "other songs" were from appetite and i just about pissed myself during Rocket Queen.

If that's true...it's a bit troubling that the keyboard player of a hard rock band is getting bigger cheers than the lead guitarist...

I'd say it was about even. But considering Dizzy was the only other member most of the people there knew before the concert, I dont see whats so troubling. :question: Robin got a great reaction from the crowd, especially on the second night.

Last night at the show, some dude behind me yelled, 'fuck yea, he's not slash, but shit he's fucking amazing!!'(on robin).

and actually that was the only time I heard that washed up guitarist whose cock you worship's name mentioned at either show. :shades:

fuck slash. who cares. This is a great band and he is not fucking missed one bit.

Wow dude, you must not have been listening too closely. I heard Slash calls all fucking night from where I was (started tenth row, moved up to third on the right as each crappy solo thinned the crowd). I myself probably called Slash's name twenty times (blame all the whiskey). It's kinda hard not to when all you hear over and over again is Slash songs with no Slash. At one point I heard a pretty strong chant for Slash. probably about 10-15 people strong coming from over my left shoulder.

I think you're in denial, my friend. But if you're happy there, why should anyone care. I'm glad you got to meet Finck. It was probably a thrill for him to get a compliment after all these years.

Yea, well I think it's pathetic that Axl can assemble his dream band but doesn't have enough faith in them to allow them to write, record and perform their own songs. Why should anyone want see Robin Finck do a two hour tribute to Slash every night? If all we're going to do is hear Slash songs, let's hear Slash play. Put up or shut up Axl. If this is such a great fucking band, let's hear it already. I don't think the addition of bongos to WTTJ is worth fifteen years of work.

Axl's a big boy. If he can't take hearing calls for Slash, then he needs to quit playing Slash's music. As long as he's doing it, he's going to face the same shit over and over again.

And just to be clear, I really like all but two of the guys in the new band. I think a band with BBF, Fortus, Brain and Stinson would be a really great band. I feel sorry for those guys. They bust their asses for Axl and get shit on by fans and critics. Poor dudes. But Axl's put them in a really unfair position. I could totally pick up on that when I spoke with Tommy before the show.

Slash wrote the guitarpart and the amasing soloes of those song, yes.

But hes not in the band he made it for no more.

And I think its great Axl have gotten new crew to play em, wich even plays them better.

And as Axl said at RIR 01' "weve been critisised for only playing old songs........but we play the songs that you want to hear!" (The speech is shortend down)

And arent those hte kinds songs you want to hea "hisroyale yada yada"?

I do wanna hear some more ChiDem songs, but we all know thath the majority of fans wants to lissen to AFD songs.

And as long as they play as good as they do it dont see anything wrong with it.

No worries there, if you are used to listening to Phil Collins. :fuckyou:

I'm really sorry if I hurt your feelings by expressing concern over "HisRoyalFatness"' post. I don't see why you had to bring poor Phil Collins into this? :unsure:

His "lyrics" are in your signature, I assumed you were a fan. I don't think you will be disappointed in the

GnR show,in the least. I have been to quite a few this year,as well as previous years.

Yeah I'm a fan of Collin's 80's work. Glad to hear you liked the shows...I don't know what to expect from them outside of some of the 2002 bootlegs I've seen of the new band. HisRoyalFatness is a pretty stand up guy so I was a bit concerned since he didn't seem to really be won over by the concert he went to...

Anyway all I really care about is Axl and Ron Thal being at the top of their game, the rest I can take or leave...

I'm not a huge fan or nothing but Against All Odds is great song.

Edited by KBear

Yea, well I think it's pathetic that Axl can assemble his dream band but doesn't have enough faith in them to allow them to write, record and perform their own songs. Why should anyone want see Robin Finck do a two hour tribute to Slash every night? If all we're going to do is hear Slash songs, let's hear Slash play. Put up or shut up Axl. If this is such a great fucking band, let's hear it already. I don't think the addition of bongos to WTTJ is worth fifteen years of work.

Axl's a big boy. If he can't take hearing calls for Slash, then he needs to quit playing Slash's music. As long as he's doing it, he's going to face the same shit over and over again.

And just to be clear, I really like all but two of the guys in the new band. I think a band with BBF, Fortus, Brain and Stinson would be a really great band. I feel sorry for those guys. They bust their asses for Axl and get shit on by fans and critics. Poor dudes. But Axl's put them in a really unfair position. I could totally pick up on that when I spoke with Tommy before the show.

Slash wrote the guitarpart and the amasing soloes of those song, yes.

But hes not in the band he made it for no more.

And I think its great Axl have gotten new crew to play em, wich even plays them better.

And as Axl said at RIR 01' "weve been critisised for only playing old songs........but we play the songs that you want to hear!" (The speech is shortend down)

And arent those hte kinds songs you want to hea "hisroyale yada yada"?

I do wanna hear some more ChiDem songs, but we all know thath the majority of fans wants to lissen to AFD songs.

And as long as they play as good as they do it dont see anything wrong with it.

indeed. yelling for slash is juvinille and had anyone next to me done it, they'd of gotten a fist to the face.

great post.