Nov. Rain should be taken out of the setlist

GOLDEN

Many have mentioned the demolition of Slash's solos in the song live, but I must comment on Axl's voice for this song in 2006. Nov. Rain was never really a good song to play live because Axl's voice is so perfect in the studio. Now it just blows.

Why would they play a song that sound so terrible live in the first place vocally...(not b/c Axl sucks but because he has to match such a beautiful voice in the studio version) and make it worse?

To make the fans happy, not the true fans but the fans that only know the classics? Is that why? That is called a sellout.

The song should of never been played live in the first place, but please remove it from the set and include another song that sounds better.

Also remove Out To Get Me....but thats another story

Just wanted to rant about how much Nov. Rain hurts my ears live now...sorry for wasting your time...

i know i know...ill just save everyone the trouble and put it in NOW......." :sleeper: "

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl actually sounds pretty good on the bootlegs/pro shot videos Ive seen, but your right about the guitarists, they butcher the solos. Bumblefoots outro is OK tho

I despise Axl's voice live for that song....but maybe it is because I am comparing it to his beautiful voice on the UYI records. It's just so far from that voice though. I can't help but not like it for that ONE song.

It really is the most amazing outro, isn't it? I'm not one for saying anything the new guys do rivals the old, however that outro I would say comes very close to matching Slash's. In a completely different way, of course, but still, it is that great.

It just makes me sad Ron doesn't get more spotlight. When I know he can perform stuff like that, I want to hear so much more. :( ESPECIALLY when it's Finck's shitty playing that preventing us from hearing more of Ron.

Edited by Slash's Appetite

I disagree.

First of all, Axl doesn't sound exactly like he does on any of the albums when he performs live. That's the beauty of a live performance as opposed to sitting at home and listening to a studio album.

Second of all, it's an amazing thrill to be at a concert and see him sit down at that piano, and hear him begin to play the first few notes of that song.

Like other people have said, Axl is not the one who ruins it.

The NR video from one of the Hammerstein shows I have is absolutely incredible. Axl nails the song, and I think Richard's solo is very emotional and moving. He plays the run near the end of his solo, in my opinion, much cleaner and with more emotion than any Slash live performance I have seen (I've only seen videos though.)

I think Uncle Bil Bailey should bring back the scream at the beginning of the BBF solo though. That is the only real part I miss. I think the current lineup does a great job playing this song, and it would be a real shame if they dropped it. NR is the essential axl rose song!

Reguarding Out Ta Get Me, I think it is a great song, but I never really liked the Appetite version. The Live Era version is great, and I love the little riff Duff plays at the beginning. The only performance of it that I have really liked is the Ritz (88?) version, where the gunners just absolutely destroy the song. I am not a big fan of the new band's version, and I would love them to direct it more towards its 70's rock roots.

Edited by jah772

November Rain is perfect with the new band except for one thing.

Axl sounds great.

Fortus' solo is great.

Ron's outro solo is AMAZING - the best thing he does in the band.

Can you guess what brings it down yet? Yep - Finck's shitty solo.

I've never really liked this second solo, and Robin is not doing anything interesting with it (meaning he is not adding anything more that what Slash originally played). I appreciate his emotion when playing it, but I think it could be retooled to show more of Robin's skill as a guitarist, just as 4tus and Ron have customized the solos they are playing.

Edited by jah772

shut your assholes about butchering solos. go see the fucking show yourselves, so what if they dont play them note for note, the performance on a whole is increidble. If you want to watch $lash play a solo, go see a velvet revolver concert.

my friend who went to the first vegas show with me said it was one of the best songs of the night, and he particuarly loved ron's outro. didn't hear anything about how the solos were butchered tho. they sound fucking amazing.

shut your assholes about butchering solos. go see the fucking show yourselves, so what if they dont play them note for note, the performance on a whole is increidble. If you want to watch $lash play a solo, go see a velvet revolver concert.

my friend who went to the first vegas show with me said it was one of the best songs of the night, and he particuarly loved ron's outro. didn't hear anything about how the solos were butchered tho. they sound fucking amazing.

When are you going to get it thru your fat head that it's not about Slash?! It's about these guys now. No one has complained about Richard's playing. I actually love how he plays the first solo. I also have no problem with Ron's playing the outro. He shreds it a little too much I think, not as bad as Bucket did though, but other than that I think it sounds really good. But I honestly hate how Finck plays it, and I'm not just saying that to piss you off. Neither Richard or Ron play it note for note, but they play it well. Finck sounds like he's up there tuning his guitar during his part.

So your friend liked Ron's playing and not Robin's. :o

When are you going to get it thru your fat head that it's not about Slash?! It's about these guys now. No one has complained about Richard's playing. I actually love how he plays the first solo. I also have no problem with Ron's playing the outro. He shreds it a little too much I think, not as bad as Bucket did though, but other than that I think it sounds really good. But I honestly hate how Finck plays it, and I'm not just saying that to piss you off. Neither Richard or Ron play it note for note, but they play it well. Finck sounds like he's up there tuning his guitar during his part.

Finck sounds amazing during that solo. :wub:

And actually as far as the whole show and performance was concerned, Robin was his favorite guitarist. Although I'll admit the fact that we met him before the show might have influenced that somewhat, because he was really fucking cool to us. But I didn't hear anyone around me complaining about Robin's playing and wouldn't you say he got the biggest appluause out of all the guitarists when Axl introduced the band?

And actually as far as the whole show and performance was concerned, Robin was his favorite guitarist. Although I'll admit the fact that we met him before the show might have influenced that somewhat, because he was really fucking cool to us. But I didn't hear anyone around me complaining about Robin's playing and wouldn't you say he got the biggest appluause out of all the guitarists when Axl introduced the band?

Maybe they felt sorry for the guy

You know, I was curious about that too, so after the show I asked my friend who she thought got the biggest applause ( I wanted an unbiased opinion) and she said Richard. Hard to tell though it was pretty close with Richard and Robin, Fortus I thought had the edge, with Ron taking up the rear. Dizzy got the loudest hand out of anyone, during the intros and after his piano solo. Kinda funny if you think about it, I know he's there the longest, but the bongo player gets more applause than the lead guitarist.

When I was further back in the crowd I heard a few people mention Slalsh, but as I got closer, I agree, no one up front said anything bad about Robin's playing.

:blink:

Playing your own song at your own concert does not make you a sellout.

Finck sounds amazing during that solo. wub.gif

You realize that you are in the minority on that one, right? And you always blame it on fans wanting Slash back, as if it's not possible to just dislike Robin's playing. :rolleyes: I've praised the guy for the new stuff he's written and played, and even for some of the old stuff he plays (he does the Patience solo really well for example). But other stuff just sounds so, soooo bad. It almost sounds like a bunch of random choppy notes put together, with no flow whatsoever. This is what puts people off about the guy. And yeah, it probably does have something to do with Slash. Fans will expect Slash's replacement to play Slash's solos up to Slash's standards. There is nothing wrong with that. Amazing solos are a big part of what made GN'R, so that needs to be preserved. I have lots of faith in Robin's abilities on new material, but the old? Well, not so much.

Does the whole Finck divide possibly have anything to do with guitarists' taste vs. non-guitarists?

That comment about it sounding like Finck's tuning his guitar on stage was spot on for me. That's exactly what it sounds like to me too. But I'm a guitar player. Maybe I'm looking for something else. We all know Finck's got a vibrant, colorful stage persona. I could see how a lot of people would be into that.

I don't think so. I don't play guitar and never have, but I know a good and bad guitarist when I hear one. I think it's more about people who care about technicality vs those who don't.

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to seeing Guns live is to hear them perform November Rain. I love how the new band plays it and Ron's outro to the song is amazing. Robin's solo is the weakest out of the three but I by no means think he "ruins" it. Anyways, NR is one of the new bands strong points when it comes to the old material, and I would hate to see it go.

BTW- I think the whole "Robin Divide" has more to do with people responding to his stage presence and persona. I think Robin is a mediocre guitarist, but he's by far my favorite new member. And I would only really call him "mediocre" on the Slash solos he's covering. When it comes down to his own stuff, I absolutely love it. (Although I do enjoy his SCOM solo very much as well.)

Edited by Mav23

Robin plays his solo almost note by note, maybe because he is a studio player, sounds very good

Ron plays it with a LOT of energy, excellent

Robin... plays an awful solo (only in this song) but well... that's just my opinion

this could be dust n' bones... robin plays how he want no matter what we say here

I agree that the magic of the show is more important than hitting every note exactly as it is laid out in the studio. However, as professionals, I think we should be able to expect that the band's players won't completely FUCK UP on stage. And that's what Finck sounds like EVERY TIME. Maybe that's less apparent to people who don't play guitar (or to people who are so musically absent that they thought Bucket's sweeps in "Better" were perfectly suited to the song... which, by the way, were not even in the right fucking key), but the musicians in GNR should at least be able to play a simple solo like those in November Rain.