Yet another reason why we need Rap

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

There's no attitude in Rock anymore. Unfortunately "woe is me" has been the standard for years. Not to say some of it isn't great, but if you want music that's easy to relate to and not self-pitying, Rap is about it. We need lyrics like "You don't wanna know what the fuck I spent on it"-Ludacris. We need battle Rap, what else could you realistically get pumped up to these days? System of a Down was playing at my high school's football game last night, the political irony was just too much. When they put some Rap on it sounded right and true. Murder, sex, drugs, materialism, they are all negative topics. But don't we all love them?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't dig those topics much. I mean, most rap is based on that (sadly) but I prefer to hear stories about the struggle and barriers one overcame to get to where they are now. But yeah, rock is a bit boring these days. Some good ol' conscious rap is needed to get things straight, in my opinion. Something less generic and original would be great, but what's pure in music anyway?

There's no attitude in Rock anymore. Unfortunately "woe is me" has been the standard for years. Not to say some of it isn't great, but if you want music that's easy to relate to and not self-pitying, Rap is about it. We need lyrics like "You don't wanna know what the fuck I spent on it"-Ludacris. We need battle Rap, what else could you realistically get pumped up to these days? System of a Down was playing at my high school's football game last night, the political irony was just too much. When they put some Rap on it sounded right and true. Murder, sex, drugs, materialism, they are all negative topics. But don't we all love them?

System of a Down has attitude, and political irony rules.

Anyway, we certainly don't need shit like 50 cent clogging up the airwaves. We need proper rap, or no rap.

I like some rock out there today, it doesn't get enough airplay.

Instead of settling for what we have (which is basically what you're saying), just continue delving into the past, much like you are doing with pre-war blues and 20's jazz and shit.

I've been in a British Blues phase for a while, and it's shocking what all you can discover. I'm really into a band called Ten Years After, whom I had never even heard of before.

It's a damn lot more original than rap!!!

at least rock dosen't sample the same beats on every fucking song.

Agreed f**k your enemy!

The world needs more rap? Is that even possible? I hope to God one of these days Rap becomes less popular, but that may take awhile. That being said, Rock n Roll does need a kick in the ass, and I don't know why its taking so long for that to happen.

Rock may be terrible these days but rap is worse.

Its always the same thing; black people talking about nothing important, swearing and girls shaking their arse.

:no:

I'm sure you harbour every single one of those characteristics except you're not black and I doubt you like girls shaking their 'arses.' Most of your posts include nothing but nonsense anyway. Looks like you're on the same page as these so called rappers are.

Black people aren't the only ones rapping. Now you wouldnt like me saying you're a foul mouth Brit with rotten teeth and a snobby, superior personality, right?

Edited by swlabr

Its always the same thing; black people talking about nothing important, swearing and girls shaking their arse.

I'm sure you harbour every single one of those characteristics except you're not black and I doubt you like girls shaking their 'arses.' Most of your posts include nothing but nonsense anyway. Looks like you're on the same page as these so called rappers are.

Black people aren't the only ones rapping. Now you wouldnt like me saying you're a foul mouth Brit with rotten teeth and a snobby, superior personality, right?

I can only think of one non black rapper, and that would be eminem :huh:

And just because my opinion doesn't agree with yours, doesn’t mean you have to personally attack me.

:)

And just because my opinion doesn't agree with yours, doesn’t mean you have to personally attack me.

I take that back, forgive me. I was just trying to prove that you were generalizing rap with black people, (although they are the ruling majority of hip hop), when caucasian, hispanic, etc. rap as well.

I take that back, forgive me. I was just trying to prove that you were generalizing rap with black people, (although they are the ruling majority of hip hop), when caucasian, hispanic, etc. rap as well.

If that's the case could you name some mainstream rappers i might of heard of that are non-black?

If that's the case could you name some mainstream rappers i might of heard of that are non-black?

Bubba Sparx, but he's wack. Actually most white rappers suck. Um, Eminem, Vanilla Ice :lol: some people called Aesop Rock, Apathy, Matisyahu (awesome), Jedi Mind Tricks, Beastie Boys. Um yeah, all the 'mainstream' ones, which arent much, suck ass. the good ones from that list are jedi mind tricks, matisyahu, apathy, eminem (old stuff) and the beastie boys. i like their silly raps.

oh and paul wall. he made some good tunes, like two.

Edited by swlabr

Bubba Sparx, but he's wack. Actually most white rappers suck. Um, Eminem, Vanilla Ice :lol: some people called Aesop Rock, Apathy, Matisyahu (awesome), Jedi Mind Tricks, Beastie Boys. Um yeah, all the 'mainstream' ones, which arent much, suck ass. the good ones from that list are jedi mind tricks, matisyahu, apathy, eminem (old stuff) and the beastie boys. i like their silly raps.

oh and paul wall. he made some good tunes, like two.

Oh well ive heard of the Beastie Boys :confused2:

There's no attitude in Rock anymore.

If you don't know how to resent one another, to gain the new way of power

It'll get in to the point where no one gives a fuck

what you may think of us or what you may not.

We're the Hate Crew, we stand and we won't fall...

We're all for none and none for all.

Fuck You! We'll fight 'til the last hit

And we sure as hell aint taking no shit!

Hate Crew Deadhroll - Children Of Bodom

I think this song as very much attitude in it ;)

^ok but COB have Fuck and shits in all songs :P

like this one

I don't give a flying fuck, motherfucker

I don't give a flying fuck, motherfucker

I don't give a flying

I don't give a flying

I don't give a flying FUCK!

Say one, more word

I double-dare you, BRING IT ON!

Its my world, you're in it

It'll take you down in a minute

You can alter your look

And diversify your image

But the truth seems like

A fist mark in your face

In Your Face - Children Of Bodom

hehe :P

Proves my point :P

Words can cause a spark without the use of explicits.

yeah but it sounds cooler with a big FUCK!!

hehe :laugh:

I don't know why, music with swearing has always been popular. Maybe people find the word "fuck" dangerous. Anyway, that flying fuck shit was awesome.

I haven't been posting in a while, have been busy ... But I'm happy to say I recorded my first album with my band

Peace

But Rap has nothing new.... it's the same old shit year in year out.

Oh and rock has been original since.. never?

It's a damn lot more original than rap!!!

at least rock dosen't sample the same beats on every fucking song.

These posts are as idiotic as those Children of Bodom lyrics, if you meant to refute my point you did the opposite.

Have you heard any Rap from the last few years? A very small percentage of hits involve the type of sampling you speak of. Pharrell Williams' beats are entirely self made and sound like nothing that's come before. You could say the same about Kanye West, Andre 3000, and Timbaland.

"Back to Bodom" so to speak, how can you argue with them? Do you really think they have a chance at reaching the mainstream? No. Unfortunately, most Mainstream Rock is whiny shit, and if you want to turn on the radio and hear confident music that deals with topics you understand and are intrigued by, you'll need to find some Rap. And here it goes, "mainstream doesn't matter etc." No, not to the common listener, who is important than me or you.