Yet another reason why we need Rap

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

But Rap has nothing new.... it's the same old shit year in year out.

Oh and rock has been original since.. never?

It's a damn lot more original than rap!!!

at least rock dosen't sample the same beats on every fucking song.

These posts are as idiotic as those Children of Bodom lyrics, if you meant to refute my point you did the opposite.

Have you heard any Rap from the last few years? A very small percentage of hits involve the type of sampling you speak of. Pharrell Williams' beats are entirely self made and sound like nothing that's come before. You could say the same about Kanye West, Andre 3000, and Timbaland.

"Back to Bodom" so to speak, how can you argue with them? Do you really think they have a chance at reaching the mainstream? No. Unfortunately, most Mainstream Rock is whiny shit, and if you want to turn on the radio and hear confident music that deals with topics you understand and are intrigued by, you'll need to find some Rap. And here it goes, "mainstream doesn't matter etc." No, not to the common listener, who is important than me or you.

As long as they are not as idiotic as your taste in music i'll be just fine......

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These posts are as idiotic as those Children of Bodom lyrics, if you meant to refute my point you did the opposite.

Have you heard any Rap from the last few years? A very small percentage of hits involve the type of sampling you speak of. Pharrell Williams' beats are entirely self made and sound like nothing that's come before. You could say the same about Kanye West, Andre 3000, and Timbaland.

"Back to Bodom" so to speak, how can you argue with them? Do you really think they have a chance at reaching the mainstream? No. Unfortunately, most Mainstream Rock is whiny shit, and if you want to turn on the radio and hear confident music that deals with topics you understand and are intrigued by, you'll need to find some Rap. And here it goes, "mainstream doesn't matter etc." No, not to the common listener, who is important than me or you.

As long as they are not as idiotic as your taste in music i'll be just fine......

And who are you to say what's good or bad about someones taste in music?

How do you properly define a great rap track?

I have been dumbfounded by this question for a long time cause lots of it sounds the same to me.

If it has a cool, catchy beat (i prefer mellow beats), clever lyrics, good theme (struggles, drugs [not the use], love, death, family) and just the whole feeling you get off of it.

And who are you to say what's good or bad about someones taste in music?

How do you properly define a great rap track?

I have been dumbfounded by this question for a long time cause lots of it sounds the same to me.

If it has a cool, catchy beat (i prefer mellow beats), clever lyrics, good theme (struggles, drugs [not the use], love, death, family) and just the whole feeling you get off of it.

And who is ODDS to say what is good or bad... or idiotic as he put?

Why do you feel you need to single me out, when someone else is doing the exact same thing?

And who is ODDS to say what is good or bad... or idiotic as he put?

Why do you feel you need to single me out, when someone else is doing the exact same thing?

ODS was wrong in calling those lyrics idiotic but compared to well written lyrics, anyone would consider those idiotic (contrary to my prior statement). As for singling you out, naming every single person who claims rap music is completely unoriginal would take me an eternity, especially on this forum :rolleyes: Sure, hip hop does sample a lot but if you look at it this way, a lot of rock music uses the same chord progressions and countless number of musicians have covered someone elses song. So to say rap music is unoriginal is about as dumb as you saying rock being authentic.

Edited by swlabr

He is talking to me, because I don't have a far superior music knoweldge of all genres, like himself, my views should not be spoken.

It's more like this, I have a clue about what's going on in music and you don't.

He is talking to me, because I don't have a far superior music knoweldge of all genres, like himself, my views should not be spoken.

It's more like this, I have a clue about what's going on in music and you don't.

Oh if the great music God has spoken.. it must be true.... what an arogant prick you are to make a statement like that. :fuckyou:

Rock may be terrible these days but rap is worse.

Its always the same thing; black people talking about nothing important, swearing and girls shaking their arse.

:no:

I'm sure you harbour every single one of those characteristics except you're not black and I doubt you like girls shaking their 'arses.' Most of your posts include nothing but nonsense anyway. Looks like you're on the same page as these so called rappers are.

Black people aren't the only ones rapping. Now you wouldnt like me saying you're a foul mouth Brit with rotten teeth and a snobby, superior personality, right?

I can only think of one non black rapper, and that would be eminem :huh:

And just because my opinion doesn't agree with yours, doesn’t mean you have to personally attack me.

:)

I take that back, forgive me. I was just trying to prove that you were generalizing rap with black people, (although they are the ruling majority of hip hop), when caucasian, hispanic, etc. rap as well.

If that's the case could you name some mainstream rappers i might of heard of that are non-black?

Bubba Sparx, but he's wack. Actually most white rappers suck. Um, Eminem, Vanilla Ice :lol: some people called Aesop Rock, Apathy, Matisyahu (awesome), Jedi Mind Tricks, Beastie Boys. Um yeah, all the 'mainstream' ones, which arent much, suck ass. the good ones from that list are jedi mind tricks, matisyahu, apathy, eminem (old stuff) and the beastie boys. i like their silly raps.

oh and paul wall. he made some good tunes, like two.

Isn't Fat Joe white aswell?

Oh if the great music God has spoken.. it must be true.... what an arogant prick you are to make a statement like that. :fuckyou:

Listen man, it's one thing if you want to talk about music you know about, but if you are going to say things like "all Rap songs sample the same beats", don't bother. That's just misinformation or ignorance. You don't see me posting in threads related to music I'm not into do you? So call me a snob or whatever the fuck you like, I don't give a damn. I can talk about Rap because I know what's going on in the genre currently, can you say the same? If not, why post here?

Listen man, it's one thing if you want to talk about music you know about, but if you are going to say things like "all Rap songs sample the same beats", don't bother. That's just misinformation or ignorance. You don't see me posting in threads related to music I'm not into do you? So call me a snob or whatever the fuck you like, I don't give a damn. I can talk about Rap because I know what's going on in the genre currently, can you say the same? If not, why post here?

no mate you're wrong here. sorry.

you said in your first post that a certain kind of lyrics is needed and that we need battle rap and that we need a certain additude in rock that just rap has today. this has nothing to do with knowledge of a certain genre you say it's important and that we need it and that's it. you give no exlanation why battle rap is important these days. I assume that you like rap very much and that because of this you want to raise it's importance by pretending that your opinion was a matter of fact. but it's not it's only your opinion.

no offence dude when you are such an authority you will be able to give us arguments why all this is so important but for now you just stated your opinion in a very arrogant way.

no mate you're wrong here. sorry.

you said in your first post that a certain kind of lyrics is needed and that we need battle rap and that we need a certain additude in rock that just rap has today. this has nothing to do with knowledge of a certain genre you say it's important and that we need it and that's it. you give no exlanation why battle rap is important these days. I assume that you like rap very much and that because of this you want to raise it's importance by pretending that your opinion was a matter of fact. but it's not it's only your opinion.

no offence dude when you are such an authority you will be able to give us arguments why all this is so important but for now you just stated your opinion in a very arrogant way.

I don't think you're following what this dumb "argument" has been about. He shouldn't post here if he doesn't know what modern Rap sounds like, end of story.

But if you insist, I will follow the train you're on. I think we need Rap because people have these emotions and need music to turn to in order to deal with them, in my opinion Rock has run dry in this arena.

I don't want to elevate the importance of any genre, I love music. If Rock had what Rap does today that would be great, albeit no difference to me.

You can call me arrogant, but I don't think you know just what I mean when I create a thread like this. These are theories, ideas. I'm not telling you what's good for you or anything, and if you want to argue I'm up for it. Why else would I make a thread like this? But if you don't know some basic things about the music we're dealing with, you don't belong here.

To have a decent argument when it comes to music, one needs to have a certain background knowledge about the genre, in this case rap. FYE, no offense mate, really has no say in this because judging from his previous posts, his judgement of what rap is is blurred. The true essence of rap isn't what you see on MTV and VH1 but what is being created in the streets. The true dirt and grime of 'street' rap is the best. That's where the battle rap and all ODS was talking about comes in. Battle rap shows the virtuosity of the lyricist by creating rhymes off the "top of their dome." It's the equivalent of the rock guitar improv and jam session. One man makes the beats and the other person adds carefully nitched words to make a tune. I think that's what ODS is trying to say or at least some of it.

To have a decent argument when it comes to music, one needs to have a certain background knowledge about the genre, in this case rap. FYE, no offense mate, really has no say in this because judging from his previous posts, his judgement of what rap is is blurred. The true essence of rap isn't what you see on MTV and VH1 but what is being created in the streets. The true dirt and grime of 'street' rap is the best. That's where the battle rap and all ODS was talking about comes in. Battle rap shows the virtuosity of the lyricist by creating rhymes off the "top of their dome." It's the equivalent of the rock guitar improv and jam session. One man makes the beats and the other person adds carefully nitched words to make a tune. I think that's what ODS is trying to say or at least some of it.

Some of it, I would just go further and say that alot of that translates into the mainstream and is needed in the mainstream.

I don't think you're following what this dumb "argument" has been about. He shouldn't post here if he doesn't know what modern Rap sounds like, end of story.

But if you insist, I will follow the train you're on. I think we need Rap because people have these emotions and need music to turn to in order to deal with them, in my opinion Rock has run dry in this arena.

I don't want to elevate the importance of any genre, I love music. If Rock had what Rap does today that would be great, albeit no difference to me.

You can call me arrogant, but I don't think you know just what I mean when I create a thread like this. These are theories, ideas. I'm not telling you what's good for you or anything, and if you want to argue I'm up for it. Why else would I make a thread like this? But if you don't know some basic things about the music we're dealing with, you don't belong here.

he might not have the background knowledge and you're right that people should talk about the things they know about but that wasn't required in the first place in this thread because you just stated your opinion and someone else had another one.

if you had sticked more carefully to the point you wanted to make I wouldn't say anything but you didn't explain your opinion, instead you doubt other peoples knowledge which is a poor move because it makes people think that you can't convince anyone with arguments. I mean you made strong statements and even now you just offer two sentences to explain them. that's a bad style.

In your opinion rock has run dry to express peoples emotions. I guess you say that because we have no real rock bands in the charts but there are huge underground, indie scenes all over the world that perfectly cover all kinds of emotion.

I think rap is important for certain people because it's a genre that perfectly expresses a minority but that makes it important just for this small group and not everyone in the society. and that's where I think that you are wrong. we don't need rap there is just a small group that actually needs rap.

btw. do you see how the statement you initially made has not much to do with rap as genre but with it's significance in society?

Edited by JeanGenie