Where exactly does Ron fit in GNR?

darkstar_legend

All 3 of them share lead and rythm, which I think is the best thing to do... as they all add something different to each part they take lead in.

Ron is the best out of the 3, but that doesn't mean someone elses style doesn't suit a certain song better. I think Axl now has the perfect mix and won't change it.

Badass motherfucker.

Seriously though, if it makes any sense, Ron is there to play the kind of shit buckethead did, and play shit that Finck can only dream of. So, you got a rhythm guitarist (Fortus) playing better lead lines than your "lead" guitarist (Finck), and another guitarist (Thal) on stage to do the leads that are too hard for the "lead" guitarist.

The three guitarists are like three separate columns. Ron is the support that holds up the pedestal of men while Richard sleeps like an angel near Robin who reaps it in.

Anyways...

What bluesy said is basically right, imo. The three of them are given different opportunities to shine on their own merit, which I think is pretty damn cool.

Edited by IndiannaRose

Badass motherfucker.

Seriously though, if it makes any sense, Ron is there to play the kind of shit buckethead did, and play shit that Finck can only dream of. So, you got a rhythm guitarist (Fortus) playing better lead lines than your "lead" guitarist (Finck), and another guitarist (Thal) on stage to do the leads that are too hard for the "lead" guitarist.

Agree 100%

I'm just wondering. Ron was outperformming Robin tonight, will he ever assume lead? Sure he's a new guy and all but based on tonights performance, is there a possibility of twin lead guitarists in GNR? Or has that already happened?

Ron will outperform Finck with one hand tight to his back.

Badass motherfucker.

I agree. Finck isn't the right person to be the lead.

mr.Q

Edited by mr.Q

Look, i'll say this. I'm really not that big a fan of Finck's playing. There were moments in his solo that I really thought were quite bad.

...Having said that, I think he's a charismatic performer and a great entertainer. If he wanted to, he could play exactly as Fortus does (he does this from time to time), but it's his style not to. I guess you either love it or hate it. I'm not personally a huge fan, but I do enjoy watching him on stage.

Ron is immensely talented - he's one of the best guitarists i've ever seen (not being biased here, truly). His stage moves have come a long way, and the red suit was priceless... to compare poor Robin to a guy like that isn't fair.

You can't kick Robin out of the lead spot - he's been in the band for like 9 years and he's done the least solo touring out of the other guys (yes, i'm aware he left to join NIN for a while). He's stuck by Axl for so long and i'm guessing he's probably contributed more than anyone else (aside from Axl) to the album.. and you guys want him dropped from the lead spot?

Be a little less harsh on the guy. Ok, his playing style isn't to your liking, but he's done a lot to help get the band where it is today. You don't just dump a guy like that on his ass and say "Ok, great, we've found someone better."

Look, i'll say this. I'm really not that big a fan of Finck's playing. There were moments in his solo that I really thought were quite bad.

...Having said that, I think he's a charismatic performer and a great entertainer. If he wanted to, he could play exactly as Fortus does (he does this from time to time), but it's his style not to. I guess you either love it or hate it. I'm not personally a huge fan, but I do enjoy watching him on stage.

Ron is immensely talented - he's one of the best guitarists i've ever seen (not being biased here, truly). His stage moves have come a long way, and the red suit was priceless... to compare poor Robin to a guy like that isn't fair.

You can't kick Robin out of the lead spot - he's been in the band for like 9 years and he's done the least solo touring out of the other guys (yes, i'm aware he left to join NIN for a while). He's stuck by Axl for so long and i'm guessing he's probably contributed more than anyone else (aside from Axl) to the album.. and you guys want him dropped from the lead spot?

Be a little less harsh on the guy. Ok, his playing style isn't to your liking, but he's done a lot to help get the band where it is today. You don't just dump a guy like that on his ass and say "Ok, great, we've found someone better."

I wonder if your boss thinks the same way.

mr.Q

mr.Q

My boss? :huh:

he's the best guitarist on this planet.

You do realise what you just said, right?

I honestly think he was being serious.. :lol: .. :huh:

Thats what scares me... :scared:

why? his guitar playing speaks to me like nothing else in this world. He is an inspiration to me, and he's also a real standup guy. He is perfect for this band. The only ppl that dont liek him are slash fans, but if you ask casual fans who their favorite was after seeing the show, no doubt its Robin. Robin has worked hard and deserves to be the guitarist with the most spotlight. Axl knows this. Ron and Richard are great too,and I think the way it works out right now is perfect.

Someone at the NYC shows counted out all the solos each guy played, it was something like

Robin 23

Bumble 13

Richard 9

Axl is no fool. Some of you need to get over your silly blindness.

he's the best guitarist on this planet.

You do realise what you just said, right?

I honestly think he was being serious.. :lol: .. :huh:

Thats what scares me... :scared:

judging by what i saw tonight (which was the best i've heard the new band sound) finck should play rhythm, or get some serious direction. his solo befoe SCOM was awful, and he really mangles his guitar in an unflattering way. fortus is great, and thal's a great techy player. i personally dont think any band needs] a guitar player like ron, but at least he sounds amazing. he can play that robot shred stuff and actually do it with feeling. i was way impressed with him tonight.....as i was with the entire show.

mr.Q

Look, GNR is not a charity organization, it's a rock band and a rock band at this level is business (up till now CD has costs about 12 million). This means that everybody in the band should be top class. Fnck isn't, at least not with repect to lead guitar play.

mr.Q

mr.Q

Look, GNR is not a charity organization, it's a rock band and a rock band at this level is business (up till now CD has costs about 12 million). This means that everybody in the band should be top class. Fnck isn't, at least not with repect to lead guitar play.

mr.Q

Ok. Well, if you think that this band is about "business", that's a really sad thing for you. A band should be about music, not money. This isn't something Tommy Lee's come up with.

mr.Q

mr.Q

Ok. Well, if you think that this band is about "business", that's a really sad thing for you. A band should be about music, not money. This isn't something Tommy Lee's come up with.

Any band wants to achieve is the best possible quality. With Finck you never will reach that goal.

mr.Q