STUDIO versions of The Blues, Maddy, Chinese Dem. and Better!

mrvics

Here's what happened:

I walk out of the DMV here in my hometown of Santa Monica at around 4:45pm, I'm walking towards my motorcycle in the parking lot and I hear BETTER playing! At first, I'm not sure from which direction it's coming from, my first thought was that someone was blasting it from their car and that it was the demo that we all have. But as I followed the sound, I realized it was not coming from a car in the parking lot of the DMV but actually from somewhere across the street (on Colorado Blvd, corner of Cloverfield Blv.).

I look up and realize it's coming from the top of this commercial building and they had the volume turned WAY up as if they wanted to share the music with the whole complex and the people walking around outside (there are a couple of small restaurants next to the building with outside seating). I look at the main entrance of the building and above the doors are three record company logos, one of which is Geffen Records (the others are A&M and some other).

So after sticking my head inside the building to check if they were also playing it within the building and not just outside (they weren't), I walked back across the street to listen...the sound was much clearer from there for whatever reason.

So here's the juice: I started listening from the last third of Better and I noticed nothing new from what we've heard EXCEPT that Axl's voice is going to blow all you mutherfookers away! It's all rasp, all control, all the time!

Next they played The Blues. Ok, some of you are REALLY skeptical about what I'm telling you guys and I don't blame you, but TRUST ME! This is the point when I knew for certain that I was listening to studio versions of these songs because during this song, Axl's voice, again, was all rasp and control the whole time AND he hit some higher notes than what we've all heard live, the first time he goes super high is where he says towards the end "...were only memories. Wooaoohoohwaoo..." And he held one of the last, long notes without taking a breath or pausing which he has done, ALWAYS, when sung live.

Next they played Chinese Democracy. They added some layers of vocals. Not very different from what we've heard live, musically, but the vocals are different and it sounded great!

Next was Madagascar. THIS song is fucking amazing, studio! Again, rasp, control, high and low notes. And it does have all those MLK etc. clips that we've all heard. How do I know that this was Studio and not live? Because at the end of the song where we've heard Finck sing back up vocals, it was Axl himself singing them in his higher pitched voice and, of course, he sang the main lyrics in his low voice.

I also noticed that The Blues and Madagascar end on the same exact note/sound effect. It's that backwards sounding effect that I think we've heard live.

I was hoping to hear a NEW song that we've yet to hear so I waited for about 30 minutes, leaning against a small palm tree pretending to make fuckin phone calls (my battery was seriously low and I didn't want to kill it in case I needed to record a new unheard song) but they stopped playing the music after Madagascar. DAMMIT!!!!! What if they played new, unheard songs before Better, while I was inside the DMV!?

I know this is nothing groundbreaking but now I'm 100% convinced that these songs are going to KILL once the album is released, the live versions don't do them justice, trust me. And now I'm 100% sure that this Album is on it's way! Oh, one more thing I noticed, Madagascar has at least one more layer of sound/production to it, either piano or guitar, couldn't quite tell for sure but it sounded bad ass.

Should I drive by the same balcony through out the day tomorrow to see if I catch them playing something new and unheard? Probably not... ;)rock3:book:

Oh, WAIT! You probably want some kind of proof, right? Well, the one time I don't have my mp3 player that has voice recording was today on my short trip to the DMV....

...BUT...I did take a short video/audio recording of the The Blues playing from the top of the building from my phone and I took a picture of the Geffen logo. You can make out the song towards the end of the clip when cars aren't passing by (keep in mind, it is only a 25 second cell phone clip of the building and you can hear The Blues coming form it)

Now give me a minute while I figure out how to upload the video/audio and picture from my piece of shit Motorola Razor....

V~

Edit, Wednesday, 9/27:

I just recorded the audio of the 25 second video I took. It's a little clearer, at least Axl's voice at the end, than the video I uploaded yesterday. (I still can't upload the video directly from my cell phone! Through USB, my laptop doesn't recognise my damn phone!)

Here's the link to the audio. You should listen to it with earphones and you'll notice that Axl's voice is Studio:

http://download.yousendit.com/21CBDE60316AF71B

GeffenBuilding.jpg

Edited by mrvics

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True or not. That was a great read none the less.

I for one belive you. though I think the story sounds odd. But then again it's geffen and GNR. So who knowes. And with the album soon to be released etc I think there are a few reasons to do that. But I do think it sounds really weird to give the people a free peak at the album with just playing it loud on the street.

Guess Uncle A was up there looking out a window at the respons :P

Here's what happened:

I walk out of the DMV here in my hometown of Santa Monica at around 4:45pm, I'm walking towards my motorcycle in the parking lot and I hear BETTER playing! At first, I'm not sure from which direction it's coming from, my first thought was that someone was blasting it from their car and that it was the demo that we all have. But as I followed the sound, I realized it was not coming from a car in the parking lot of the DMV but actually from somewhere across the street (on Colorado Blvd, corner of Cloverfield Blv.).

I look up and realize it's coming from the top of this commercial building and they had the volume turned WAY up as if they wanted to share the music with the whole complex and the people walking around outside (there are a couple of small restaurants next to the building with outside seating). I look at the main entrance of the building and above the doors are three record company logos, one of which is Geffen Records (the others are A&M and some other).

So after sticking my head inside the building to check if they were also playing it within the building and not just outside (they weren't), I walked back across the street to listen...the sound was much clearer from there for whatever reason.

So here's the juice: I started listening from the last third of Better and I noticed nothing new from what we've heard EXCEPT that Axl's voice is going to blow all you mutherfookers away! It's all rasp, all control, all the time!

Next they played The Blues. Ok, some of you are REALLY skeptical about what I'm telling you guys and I don't blame you, but TRUST ME! This is the point when I knew for certain that I was listening to studio versions of these songs because during this song, Axl's voice, again, was all rasp and control the whole time AND he hit some higher notes than what we've all heard live, the first time he goes super high is where he says towards the end "...were only memories. Wooaoohoohwaoo..." And he held one of the last, long notes without taking a breath or pausing which he has done, ALWAYS, when sung live.

Next they played Chinese Democracy. They added some layers of vocals. Not very different from what we've heard live, musically, but the vocals are different and it sounded great!

Next was Madagascar. THIS song is fucking amazing, studio! Again, rasp, control, high and low notes. And it does have all those MLK etc. clips that we've all heard. How do I know that this was Studio and not live? Because at the end of the song where we've heard Finck sing back up vocals, it was Axl himself singing them in his higher pitched voice and, of course, he sang the main lyrics in his low voice.

I also noticed that The Blues and Madagascar end on the same exact note/sound effect. It's that backwards sounding effect that I think we've heard live.

I was hoping to hear a NEW song that we've yet to hear so I waited for about 30 minutes, leaning against a small palm tree pretending to make fuckin phone calls (my battery was seriously low and I didn't want to kill it in case I needed to record a new unheard song) but they stopped playing the music after Madagascar. DAMMIT!!!!! What if they played new, unheard songs before Better, while I was inside the DMV!?

I know this is nothing groundbreaking but now I'm 100% convinced that these songs are going to KILL once the album is released, the live versions don't do them justice, trust me. And now I'm 100% sure that this Album is on it's way! Oh, one more thing I noticed, Madagascar has at least one more layer of sound/production to it, either piano or guitar, couldn't quite tell for sure but it sounded bad ass.

Should I drive by the same balcony through out the day tomorrow to see if I catch them playing something new and unheard? Probably not... ;)rock3:book:

Oh, WAIT! You probably want some kind of proof, right? Well, the one time I don't have my mp3 player that has voice recording was today on my short trip to the DMV....

...BUT...I did take a short video/audio recording of the The Blues playing from the top of the building from my phone and I took a picture of the Geffen logo. You can make out the song towards the end of the clip when cars aren't passing by.

Now give me a minute while I figure out how to upload the video/audio and picture from my piece of shit Motorola Razor....

V~

Pm me I,ll help you

True or not. That was a great read none the less.

I for one belive you. though I think the story sounds odd. But then again it's geffen and GNR. So who knowes. And with the album soon to be released etc I think there are a few reasons to do that. But I do think it sounds really weird to give the people a free peak at the album with just playing it loud on the street.

Guess Uncle A was up there looking out a window at the respons :P

It's VERY odd, I thought. It was coming from a balcony from the top suite of the building. The windows were mostly tinted and no one seemed to be on the balcony or at least on the edge of the balcony. Odd.

why didnt you try and go in and find out whos playing it???

I was VERY tempted but I didn't want to seem like a damn stalker. But, believe me, I was very tempted, I was even thinking of what to say...like should I have acted as if I didn't recognize the band but loved the songs so I just wanted to know who it was or should I have been totally honest....?

Edited by mrvics

hey mrvics can you upload it please

I'm trying. I'm installing the Software now...

thanks and how long is the clip?

About 25 seconds. You can definitely make out the song at the end of the clip, at least. All this clip will do is give my story the credibility it needs.

im sure that Maddy and the blues studio versions will be KILLERs!! i dont see any future with CD and better though

Until this afternoon, I was convinced that the album would need some really good songs that we have yet heard but after overhearing these songs, the album is going to do just fine, including CD and Better. Hell, especially Better. I no longer care if these are the best songs on the album. From what I heard, They are good enough. I mean, I know at least some of you can imagine how amazing Axl sounded. Out of this world.

I cant wait for the album to come out and you guys hear the parts that I described....you will then say, yeah, that guy mrvics was right.