The new songs live

Birdie

See, I've only been to one GNR show in my life and that was in Sheffield, 2006. I was right down the front for the majority of the show and the crowd were really going mad, but all the energy seemed to die when The Blues was played. No one knew the words, and to be honest, I felt I was the only person singing along.

So what is it with the new songs that 'kill' the excitement in the place? I mean, it's not just The Blues, I've been listening to a few live versions of I.R.S and Better, and it seems that they only get a reasonable reaction by the crowd after they've been played.

I love the new songs (and it was a shame I.R.S and Better weren't played when I went to see GNR) but live, they seem to bring the audience down a level. I hope GNR come back to the UK in 2007, after CD hits the shelves and fans get a listen of it because the fact they don't know where the song is coming from might affect their reactions of it.

The reactions they get usually are poor to that of another song. I feel they're worth more of the crowds time, as the new songs are pretty damn fantastic.

you have to consider that half the people there are just casual music fans who know Sweet Child of Mine and Welcome to the Jungle. And then another percentage are fans of GNR who haven't been kept up to speed with the new stuff or even the lineup for that matter, and they've never heard these songs before.

In las vegas, Better, IRS, and The Blues all got a great response from the audience, and my friend who went with me couldn't believe so many people were singing along to songs he never heard and hadn't been released yet. But these were shows with a little over 1000 people in them who are mostly hardcore fans.

once the songs are released, and theres a single getting airplay on the radio, these songs will all get a much better reception.

Due to the fact that the majority of the people that go to GNR's live shows are hearing the songs for the first time, Id say their reactions have been pretty damn good towards the new material. When the album drops in November, im positive it will only grow bigger.

So I think we can just settle down over reactions, fan and critic alike, until after we have an album to base our judgements on.

you have to consider that half the people there are just casual music fans who know Sweet Child of Mine and Welcome to the Jungle. And then another percentage are fans of GNR who haven't been kept up to speed with the new stuff or even the lineup for that matter, and they've never heard these songs before.

In las vegas, Better, IRS, and The Blues all got a great response from the audience, and my friend who went with me couldn't believe so many people were singing along to songs he never heard and hadn't been released yet. But these were shows with a little over 1000 people in them who are mostly hardcore fans.

once the songs are released, and theres a single getting airplay on the radio, these songs will all get a much better reception.

In bigger arenas only a small percentage have heard the new songs so of course it can be expected that they stop for a moment and start really listening to it with thought or they just stop because they dont know the words and melody.

See, I've only been to one GNR show in my life and that was in Sheffield, 2006. I was right down the front for the majority of the show and the crowd were really going mad, but all the energy seemed to die when The Blues was played. No one knew the words, and to be honest, I felt I was the only person singing along.

So what is it with the new songs that 'kill' the excitement in the place? I mean, it's not just The Blues, I've been listening to a few live versions of I.R.S and Better, and it seems that they only get a reasonable reaction by the crowd after they've been played.

I love the new songs (and it was a shame I.R.S and Better weren't played when I went to see GNR) but live, they seem to bring the audience down a level. I hope GNR come back to the UK in 2007, after CD hits the shelves and fans get a listen of it because the fact they don't know where the song is coming from might affect their reactions of it.

The reactions they get usually are poor to that of another song. I feel they're worth more of the crowds time, as the new songs are pretty damn fantastic.

Saw them in Sockholm and when I realized that I was the only person at my grandstand screaming and singing along during the new songs I felt a bit embarassed.. I guess it would have been different if I had been at the floor. But even the crownd down there lost their energy. I think it´s alot about insecurence how you as a spectator should react when those new songs were played. Many want to scream and sing but don´t dare to do that when no one else does.. And the bad cirkle is secluded.

Saw them in Sockholm and when I realized that I was the only person at my grandstand screaming and singing along during the new songs I felt a bit embarassed.. I guess it would have been different if I had been at the floor. But even the crownd down there lost their energy. I think it´s alot about insecurence how you as a spectator should react when those new songs were played. Many want to scream and sing but don´t dare to do that when no one else does.. And the bad cirkle is secluded.

Well as i said i went crazy for the new songs even though people around me didn't.

I love the songs and i am gonna show it rock3

Well as i said i went crazy for the new songs even though people around me didn't.

I love the songs and i am gonna show it rock3

Same here though there was a guy near to me who knew the words also but otherwise it was quite dead and I couldnt care less what people think of me when Im going crazy in a GN'R show..

So what is it with the new songs that 'kill' the excitement in the place?

They are just that....new songs. Songs the crowd aren't familiar with so they stop jumping around and going mental to pay attention to this song they've never heard before. It happens whenever a band plays a new tune, not just GNR. I mean, if you don't know how a song goes you can't predict when to "go bonkers" to it. ;)

Monty

I was at wembley 91 before UYI released and they played Dust n

Bones Estranged maybe 14 years and Perfect Crime and nobody knew the words then either. Face it out of the 100,000 people who turn up for a GNR concert most of them could give a shit about the band, it's just a chance to party. People go because other people are going.

^^ very true!

I was at Wembley on 29 July and I have to say a few people around me in the pit knew the words but not many.. Some still rocked out anyway but it was quite disheartening listening to people saying "what's this?".. It will take time to get to know and love the new songs as we all do and I can't wait to the first gig I go to after CD is released! It'll be awesome with everyone singing along to Better and TWAT!

On another note, people didn't recognise a lot of songs at the gig I was at.. There were some people around me trying to figure out what God Save the Queen was..! Bloody hopeless people!

KK x

I think that reaction has to be expected outside of the hardened core of GNR fandom. Until the songs are on an actual album and ticket holders have heard them the reaction will be the same. I'm the same way when I hear a band play new material like, "Piss Break," "I'm gonna go grab a brew, anyone want one," and "Hey, wanna go check out the t-shirts" for the first time.

Guest cherry_bomb

same as everyone has said on this thread, its hardly surprising, no one knows the songs. unless you really follow the band over the years, know the songs from 02, downloaded the leaks, you wont know the new songs. it'll change.

I felt the same way at the third Hammerstein Show, I was astounded at the real lack of excitement that anything new inspired. However, like has been said, most people are fools who enjoy the hits that are played everywhere from basketball games to supermarkets, so I'm not surprised. If the album drops, god willing, people will start getting excited at a live airing...The Blues is going to be HUGE, make no mistake. But first we've got to get a release date for that to happen

Here is what I don't get.

Frankly, I think all that is left of GNR fandom at this point is the hardcore.

So why the apathy about new tunes? That makes no damn sense to me. I can't believe the people going to htese shows are casual fans at this point.

And who the fuck doesn't have internet access in thsi day and age?

I've only been to one show on this tour--Las Vegas Sat show. And I can tell you that at it, the crowd knew every word to every song, including The Blues. It was amazing to hear people singing along to songs that one can only know from downloading the bootleg!

'most people are fools who enjoy the hits that are played everywhere from basketball games to supermarkets'

- That's funny because that's exactly what I think about the people that jump all over Axl's cock when the new songs come on..... I can't believe all the cocksucking that goes on in this forum especially when the new leaks/demos suck so bad. Sure, maybe they are comparable at BEST to what's out these days but they suck monkey balls compared to AFD or UYI. Please don't give me the whole 'new direction/new band' or 'stuck in the past' crap..... If it sucks, it sucks. You can spray all the perfume you want on shit but no matter what it's still shit. With that said, it was funny how a lot of the crowd decided to take bathroom breaks when the new songs came on when they played at Hammerstein.

'most people are fools who enjoy the hits that are played everywhere from basketball games to supermarkets'

- That's funny because that's exactly what I think about the people that jump all over Axl's cock when the new songs come on..... I can't believe all the cocksucking that goes on in this forum especially when the new leaks/demos suck so bad. Sure, maybe they are comparable at BEST to what's out these days but they suck monkey balls compared to AFD or UYI. Please don't give me the whole 'new direction/new band' or 'stuck in the past' crap..... If it sucks, it sucks. You can spray all the perfume you want on shit but no matter what it's still shit. With that said, it was funny how a lot of the crowd decided to take bathroom breaks when the new songs came on when they played at Hammerstein.

Thats your opinion and even tho its completely moronic your entitled to it, just dont state it as fact.