Catcher in the Rye

dablooz

CITR is great.

It sounds more like a Queen kinda song.

Why people love it and some don't, i guess it's all depend of you age and your knowledge about Rock music.

I pretty much agree with this. I think CITR is the best of the leaks, w/ The Blues and Maddy following behind.

Hey folks,

I have to register my opinion. Catcher in the Rye is not a good song, it's a GREAT song. Perhaps it's too long for a single, but man, doesn't it give you a chill to hear that? I would say that it is better than anything that is on UYI. Shows great maturity. I personally think Better, IRS, Madagascar, and CD suck. The Blues and and TWAT are ok.

Catcher in the Rye is incredible.

GU

I wouldn't say it is better than TWAT, but it is certainly a highly commendable song. I'm sure it will become a classic like NR, in true GNR style.

Is it just me, or has Axl lost the ability to write a simple, effective chorus?

Granted, these specific lines may have been written by othres, but compare Madagscar, CITR, and IRS to...

"in the jungle, welcome to the jungle, gonna bring you to your..."

"Ohhhhh Sweet Child o' Mine"

"Take me down to the paradise city..."

"Well, well, well, you just can't tell..."

The new songs lack that sing along quality. when Axl and his current band get to the SCOM Chorus, the place errupts. It's hard to imagine a similar moment for any of the new songs with the exception of Better.

Estranged didn't have a chorus as such, and it proved to be an extremely effective song. I think these new songs, such as TWAT and CITR are similar to Estranged in this way. They are epics, no doubt about it. ;)

Also, I think you forget IRS and CD. They have great catchy choruses.

ermm..................no!!

Estranged was NOT an effective song for various reasons-

• It bored the crowd shitless when it was played live

• The Band really didnt wanna play it live

•Nothing for the audience to sing along with

I wouldn't call Estranged an epic. Ego Trip maybe, but not epic. As for TWAT and CITR, well...I wouldnt put them in the same league as Bohemian Rhapsody or Stairway to Heaven...

Just because they "sound" big and epic, doesn't mean they'll have the same effect in the next 20 years. Hell, they don't even play TWAT anymore and have never even played CITR.

I like CITR, but I dont consider it epic. And TWAT just bores the shit out of me.

What Nu-GnR need Great Hooks and Catchy Choruses. And NONE of the new songs have them.

Remember children that this is all IMO, but alot of it also true... :)

I like the version of Catcher In The Rye where someone changed the tempo better to the demo (its on youtube too) but I think its an acquired taste and will not be liked on a mass scale.

The rest of this post isn't about CITR so if you don't want to know my opinion on the other songs, well don't look :P

To me, the first half of TWAT is decent but its the huge outro solo that makes me love this song and I also think Better has the ability to be a well loved song but the part after "I only wanted you to see things for yourself" (i think thats the lyrics :unsure:) makes the song lose momentum imo.

The Blues I feel will be in the same boat as CITR. Madagascar may also fall in that category. Can't wait to hear a studio version of IRS with proper drums and fucking heavy assed guitars rock3

Don't get me wrong, I like all these songs but I'm trying to imagine what the non-forum bootleg collecting downloading motherfuckers who've been out of the loop for so long might think.

That about does it...

Monty