Knocking On Heavens Door - Avril Lavigne

Chris Axl

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why? because those artists like GNR and wanna give a nod to their influence...

No. I tend to dislike covers in general, but if an artist decides to cover a song because they think they can artistically add to it, then - of course - I may like the result. But Avril's cover doesn't only "add" nothing whatsoever to the song, but even takes away a lot of its charm. I hate it when people take someone else's work and butcher it, it's terribly unfair.

Edited by nameless_girl

No. I tend to dislike covers in general, but if an artist decides to cover a song because they think they can artistically add to it, then - of course - I may like the result. But Avril's cover doesn't only "add" nothing whatsoever to the song, but even takes away a lot of its charm. I hate it when people take someone else's work and butcher it, it's terribly unfair.

But Av has never covered a GNR song...

I never said she did, I was talking more in general and using her as an example. But she did badly cover a Dylan song.

Exactly. I like her cover of KOHD because it's a Dylan-esque version and she has a nice voice. It's a plain cover, but the girl's only 21.

And how is it a bad cover? She's a decent singer and the guitar is good. It's not bad at all.

Edited by adnan

I never said she did, I was talking more in general and using her as an example. But she did badly cover a Dylan song.

She picked up an acoustic guitar and sang it. How is that a misrepresentation of a Bob Dylan song?

She picked up an acoustic guitar and sang it. How is that a misrepresentation of a Bob Dylan song?

everyone can pick up a guitar and sing it, even her, but she should do as me and not realese it :laugh:

Well, I consider her vocals to be very awkward in places. Not to mention that I think that one should opt to do a "professional" cover only when they think they can add something to the song.

Well, I consider her vocals to be very awkward in places. Not to mention that I think that one should opt to do a "professional" cover only when they think they can add something to the song.

She was asked to do it for a charity CD.

And I already said it was for a Charity Album, for a cause she was happy to help.

As for the awkwardness, everyone does that song different. From U2 and GNR to Bon Jovi, and anyone else who has ever played that song they always sounded like themselves playing that song. Avril is no different, she had no plans of sounding like anything other than herself.

Not to mention that I think that one should opt to do a "professional" cover only when they think they can add something to the song.

And obviously Avril and a shitload of other artists don't share your vision. But they are the ones doing it, and it's their choice to cover whatever song it is.

And I already said it was for a Charity Album, for a cause she was happy to help.

As for the awkwardness, everyone does that song different. From U2 and GNR to Bon Jovi, and anyone else who has ever played that song they always sounded like themselves playing that song. Avril is no different, she had no plans of sounding like anything other than herself.

Not to mention that I think that one should opt to do a "professional" cover only when they think they can add something to the song.

And obviously Avril and a shitload of other artists don't share your vision. But they are the ones doing it, and it's their choice to cover whatever song it is.

Ah well, obviously they don't share my views and it's their decision to make, but it shouldn't be expected that they don't get lots of negative feedback concerning that choice.

As for sounding like herself, I'm sure she does, but that's hardly a compliment. If she sounded like herself and by doing so somehow added to the song, now that would be a different matter. Of course, it's great that she did some charity work - really - but she could have gone about that in so many other ways that do not involve butchering a beautiful song.

Edited by nameless_girl

And shes NOT more rock n' roll than I am dude ;)

Yeah she is...

pink doing wttj is the worst thing in the music history, EVER!

Dude, quit swinging from Axl's nuts, Pink's cover is actually quite decent.

She think shes such a bad ass, but she isnt......

Seems you've found your dream girl then.

Im not swinging from Axls nuts when I say pinks cover is the worst thing ever, cus it is.

I first thaught Chers: "you shook me all night long" was a fucked upp thing to do, but then i saw this....

And yeah, worst thing in history of music, EVER.

And avril lavigne is the worst wannabe rocker ive ever seen, IMO. ( i better start say IMO much more often around here...)

Edited by Chris Axl

Why the "NOOOOOOOOO" bullshit?!

She just covered a song that Guns happen to have covered before hand, and it's not like she tried to rip Guns off or anything! Apart from that, it wasn't too bad.

One time I was watching some rock chick thing on much more music (canadian music channel) and she said something about doing it because of guns. It was the first song she learned on guitar or something.

Not completely sure.

Anyway she's a fuckin beauty :wub: .