Born in the USA- Bruce Springsteen

adnan

It's the pinnacle of irony how conservatives don't listen to the song and think of it as a conservative song (well, some of them, anyway).

It's a truly patriotic song, though. If I was American I would think it should be the national anthem. It's about loving the country and hating what your government has done to it.

Great piece of Americana.

I'm a big springsteen fan and that was my least favorite out of all his albums(and I own them all).

I don't agree with him politically or anything but his early albums proved he was just as talented a writer as dylan.

As far as the song itself its ok I guess. It just seems like a cheesy song to me now I guess after the way it was percieved. I know its a protest song but most took it the exact opposite. Oh well I guess not all people listen to the lyrics. :P

It's great, but not Bruce's best (not that I disagree with you in the slightest- you hit the nail on the head!). Heck, not even best on that album! So many other great American tunes. Dancing in the Dark - about a guy who has to work all night to make his living and "sick and tired of living in a dump like this." Workin on the Highway - highway construction flagman who dreams that "someday, mister, I'm gonna lead a better life than this." Downbound Train - about a guy whose "luck went bad and times got hard" when he lost his job and his girl. The political tunes on this album are some of Springsteen's absolute greatest.

Getting beyond the politics, though, the love songs are amazing as well. Cover Me is one of my favorite Springsteen tunes, plus it does still have the working man attitude to it ("The time's are tough, they're just getting tougher"). I'm On Fire, giving us the great Springsteen pickup line "Hey little girl, is your daddy home?"

Bobby Jean may be my favorite Springsteen song excluding the Born to Run album and My Hometown. About Little Steven leaving the E Street Band. Really an astounding piece of songwriting, both lyrically and musically.

My Hometown requires no description. Probably Bruce's best song not on BTR. Just a beautiful piece of work.

Now if you really want Bruce to blow you away, pick up a copy of Live in New York City, pop in disc 2, and let the magic of the Big Man's sax solo on Jungleland take you away.

I guess I'm the only one who finds Springsteen overrated? :unsure:

No, many people agree with you.

I often think that they just take the music at too superficial a level.

Yeah I see what you are saying. I mean I still think he's good, but not this god he's made out to be :P

It's great, but not Bruce's best (not that I disagree with you in the slightest- you hit the nail on the head!). Heck, not even best on that album! So many other great American tunes. Dancing in the Dark - about a guy who has to work all night to make his living and "sick and tired of living in a dump like this." Workin on the Highway - highway construction flagman who dreams that "someday, mister, I'm gonna lead a better life than this." Downbound Train - about a guy whose "luck went bad and times got hard" when he lost his job and his girl. The political tunes on this album are some of Springsteen's absolute greatest.

Yeah, I agree. It's my favorite album from him for those songs, not for the title track, but it's still a great song.

Bruce is such a deep, beautiful artist.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

I can't really get into this working man shit, although I respect it. I can dig music about women, drinking, and loneliness more so. Although alot of my politics are for the working man, I don't identify with the persona. That's just me, and for that reason I feel I couldn't fall in love with Springsteen.

Yeah, I agree. It's my favorite album from him for those songs, not for the title track, but it's still a great song.

Bruce is such a deep, beautiful artist.

Aye that he is. If you really wanna get into it pick up:

a) a copy of Songs. It's a book Bruce wrote about his albums. It details how, why, etc each album is shaped like it is and looks at a few songs per album in great detail. It also has every lyric he's ever written, current through The Rising if I am not mistaken

B) Bruce Springsteen: Storytellers on DVD. I've seen many of these specials, and Bruce's is easily the best. He goes really in depth, and if you think you know how deep he goes right now....WRONG! You gain a whole new appreciation listening to the Boss speak his mind about his music. It's really incredible

c) The Born To Run 30th Aniversary Podcast. I can email it to you if you wish. It chronicles the E Street Band's production of the album with interviews from all of the E Streeters, as well as some really neat studio cuts of individual tracks (guitar, drum, piano, etc) from various points along the way. Really neat listen, and takes about 45 minutes to get through all 6 installments.

Those all sound like great options, but I'll have to check them out later. I've got about 7 box sets and CD's coming in, including Bruce's newest album, and about 26 CD's which I have to listen to when I get them from the library.

Very cool. The Seeger Sessions is a fantastic album. The Seeger Sessions tour show is probably the best I've ever been to (including an E Street show on the Rising tour). The album is clearly not for money or critical acclaim. It's just Bruce and his pals having fun playing great music.

It's the pinnacle of irony how conservatives don't listen to the song and think of it as a conservative song (well, some of them, anyway).

It's a truly patriotic song, though. If I was American I would think it should be the national anthem. It's about loving the country and hating what your government has done to it.

absolutely!

It's amazing how many people misconstrue the meaning of that song.

The Republicans actually used it as a theme song...I think it was during the leadership conventions (can't recall offhand if it was that or another function).

The darker elements of Bruce's material can easily get skimmed off the surface by the casual listener.

you're right. alot of people just hear "Born in the USA" and get all "Rah-Rah" about it without really listening to the verses and understanding the deeper meaning of the song. i love the song and the message. i do consider myself conservative, although most other "conservatives" make me sick with their elitist attitudes.

Downbound Train - about a guy whose "luck went bad and times got hard" when he lost his job and his girl.

i love this song so much. the final verse is so haunting.

Last night I heard your voice

You were crying, crying, you were so alone

You said your love had never died

You were waiting for me at home

Put on my jacket, I ran through the woods

I ran till I thought my chest would explode

There in the clearing, beyond the highway

In the moonlight, our wedding house shone

I rushed through the yard, I burst through the front door

My head pounding hard, up the stairs I climbed

The room was dark, our bed was empty

Then I heard that long whistle whine

And I dropped to my knees, hung my head and cried

Now I swing a sledge hammer on a railroad gang

Knocking down them cross ties, working in the rain

Now don't it feel like you're a rider on a downbound train

Edited by artfromtex

born in the usa was the 1980's.

You got it so right...the 80's was such a "me" time, with the movie Wall Street and "greed is good" and then Springsteen comes out with Born In the USA and it talked about the everyman that was being neglected by the white collar worker.

One of my favorite songs off that album is No Surrender....I love that line "we learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school".

Guest knerken

I borrowed the "Songs" book from my uncle, and it was really good. I just read the lyrics without listening to the songs, and found out that Bruce is really a fantastic lyric-writer. Born in the USA is a good song with some good lyrics, but the song is way overplayed. Atlantic City is his best song IMO.

I totally agree with you.

I've never understood the hype around this guy. I've seen him in concert - and mehh... Didn't do anything for me. I'd much rather listen to John Cougar Mellancamp than Springsteen.

You got it so right...the 80's was such a "me" time, with the movie Wall Street and "greed is good" ..

I love the movie "Wall Street." It's one of my all-time favorites.

It was SO well done.

I totally agree with you.

I've never understood the hype around this guy. I've seen him in concert - and mehh... Didn't do anything for me. I'd much rather listen to John Cougar Mellancamp than Springsteen.

The pure jazz energy of the Easy Street Shuffle, his amazing songwriting skills. You may not think much of him, but to call him overrated?

The "Born in the USA" album is a tough one. Either one of his best for the anthmetic quality of the tracks, or one of his worst for the lyrical content being lost in the fun music.

But can you honestly say you've listened to a full album of his and not found the lyrics heartwrenchingly touching at times.

I'd much rather listen to John Cougar Mellancamp than Springsteen.

I am a John Mellencamp fan, but seriously, he is a poor-man's Bruce Springsteen.

I'm with Madison on this one. I'm from the Midwest, and John Cougar Mellancamp is 'our' Springsteen.

I never understood why Springsteen was so popular. He's not bad, but I don't understand why people think he's the greatest. I never saw him in concert though, and that may have something to do with it. People who have seen him live think he's the best. I did see Mellancamp once, and he was great, I especially loved the violin player, Lisa Germano.

I've seen em both. Mellencamp is really good, but he's no Bruce. They both work the crowd really well, and are both very exciting, but Bruce has an energy to him that is absolutely unlike any other that I have ever seen. The E Street Band are a really exciting group to watch too. He's even better with the Seeger Sessions Band, though. They are clearly up there to simply play good music and have fun doing it. Check them out if you ever get the chance.