Your Top 5 Songwriters

adnan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5. Brian Wilson

Like adnan said he probaly deserves it for pet sounds alone, under all the brilliant harmonies and musical parts is some of the greatest and most simple lyrics about teenage longing, love and confusion which i still relate to, pretty much the perfect album

He didn't write any lyrics on Pet Sounds though.

So?

Lyrics aren't everything. And his lyrics on other albums are excellent anyhow.

Well this thread is about lyrics. Top songwriters, not composers :)

Songwriting refers to lyrics and composing.

According to Wikipedia: "A songwriter is someone who writes the lyrics to songs, the musical composition or melody to songs, or both. That is to say, a songwriter is a lyricist, a composer, or both."

Okay , I see.

I just understood this thread as it were about who's the best to write lyrics, and I think some of the others in this thread also was under that impression

Brad credited the lyrics to Brian Wilson, that's the only reason I pointed it out.

Okay then, my bad :)

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

I might as well try...

1. John Lee "Sonny Boy" Williamson

rfb12xu7.jpg

He wrote more classic Blues songs than just about anyone, thus setting the topical tone for a good deal of the future's music.

2. Morrissey

morrissey145217ajw6.jpg

As a pure lyricist, he can't be touched. His words are the most advanced to have ever been paired with popular music.

3. Marc Bolan

bolan03hl7.jpg

His absurd (and soberly produced) words never fail to amuse, and no matter how ridiculous, always sound right. Marc never failed, from Garage Rocker to Soul Man.

4. Bob Dylan

bobdylannq5.jpg

Ushered in the age in which we actually thought about lyrics. In short, he's Bob Dylan.

5. David Bowie

2005081446736bo7.jpg

He wrote some of the greatest Pop songs of all-time, in many shockingly different styles.

Hmmm

Axl Rose

Satyr Wongraven

Tony Harnell and Ronni Le Tekrø ( damn those could do magic) :(

Tuomas Holopainen

Luca Turilli :krider:

Fuck... this is to damn hard, there are so many great songwriters and picking the five best is impossible :unsure:

1. Bruce Springsteen

I have never heard such a musican that combines such deep, poetic lyrics with such amazing musicmanship. In my honest opinion he is the greatest artist of the 20th century, massive, massive call i know, but its what i think.

2. Bob Dylan

Again, such brilliant poetic lyrics, equal to Bruce IMHO, but he lacks the musical skill that The Boss has and that puts him in No. 2 spot.

3. Pete Townshend

To me, Pete IS rock n' roll, he embodies everything about it. I think the British were able to capture the spirit and attitude of rock the best, and to me, Pete is the best british rock n roll songwriter of the lot. He's so influental its crazy.

4. John Lennon

While not so musically skilled, he was a born and natural songwriter. Whole songs would come to him in his sleep, an absolute freak. Changed music forever.

5. Robert Fripp

His music was so complex yet so beautiful, an amazing talent.