Two tracks from my band's second studio session

This is an awesome track, one of my favorite tracks we ever recorded. All the drum sounds (drum and tabla) are played through my new keyboard, which was too awesome not to use:

Imperial Division

The sounds at the end are from the funeral of Mohammed Al-Durrah.

This is basically a poem about the Congo recited by a friend and me playing drums and tabla through my wonderful new keyboard:

Congo, not really a band recording, but it's still cool.

They're both fresh from this morning. Not a very fruitful session, recorded 12 tracks but I'm not happy with any of the mixes other than these.

Edited by adnan

This is an awesome track, one of my favorite tracks we ever recorded. All the drum sounds (drum and tabla) are played through my new keyboard, which was too awesome not to use:

Imperial Division

The sounds at the end are from the funeral of Mohammed Al-Durrah.

This is basically a poem about the Congo recited by a friend and me playing drums and tabla through my wonderful new keyboard:

Congo, not really a band recording, but it's still cool.

They're both fresh from this morning. Not a very fruitful session, recorded 12 tracks but I'm not happy with any of the mixes other than these.

The first one reminds of me the beastie boys meets Abbie Hoffman - great rhythm, great drums, I think a funky bass line would really help - catchy chorus as well.

The problem with most political lyrics, even with Jello Biafra, RATM and Phil Ochs, is that they often seem to be trite and contrived. Look into how Tom Gabel from AGAINST ME! does his political lyrics, no rhyming, etc, and it sounds great. I think subtlelty works better in music than a flat out political manifesto.

And let me finish off with adding that this is my very own, personal, and whimsical opinion [all opinions are whimsical!] ;)

Keep on keepin' on Adnan!

...great rhythm, great drums, I think a funky bass line would really help - catchy chorus as well.

Couldn't agree more. Get some bass in there.

So, did the same guy write the lyrics again? This one line particular though cracks me up. "The people united, will never be defeated." Was it stolen from some kind of protest chant or something? :lol:

...great rhythm, great drums, I think a funky bass line would really help - catchy chorus as well.

So, did the same guy write the lyrics again? This one line particular though cracks me up. "The people united, will never be defeated." Was it stolen from some kind of protest chant or something? :lol:

For a similar structured song with an AWESOME bassline check out LE VENT L'APPORTERA by NOIR DESIR. I also forgot to add THE CLASH and PENNYWISE as great political lyricists. Another issue with political messages is that people often seek out entertainment to get away from the news and politics, so political bands and songs are often niche items.

pretty fuckin good, bro

I kinda expected a political debate started here when I saw your name... :lol:

Thanks a lot. :)

Another issue with political messages is that people often seek out entertainment to get away from the news and politics, so political bands and songs are often niche items.

Yeah, but we're not really serious about getting a record deal or anything. Music's just something we enjoy.

darkstar: Dude, same shit again? :huh: At least give me your opinion of the song rather than your opinion of a lyric towards the end of it...

Edited by adnan

darkstar: Dude, same shit again? :huh: At least give me your opinion of the song rather than your opinion of a lyric towards the end of it...

Hah, relax man, I'm not trying to slag you guys off. Okay I admit, the lyrics do provide some comic relief, which is funny considering the theme of your songs tend to be about politics and the middle east crisis; Not something you'd normally associate with humour. Whether that was intentional or accidental, I think it's great. I don't know if that divertes the listener from the message of your songs though - it didn't for me.

The songs themselves are solid, the lyrics refreshing and doesn't feel contrived. In particular 'terrorism song', 'bridges not walls', 'prayer for peace' and 'imperial division'. Imperial Division in particular do sound like RHCP. I must say, I normally wouldn't be interested in political type songs especially if it was coming from a bunch of hippies but I'll admit, the songs were easy to listen to and your singer doesn't sound half bad at all.

I agree with the poem being recited too fast in Congo. You don't really have time to digest the lyrics which is unfortunate considering it does have some vivid imagery.

For a similar structured song with an AWESOME bassline check out LE VENT L'APPORTERA by NOIR DESIR.

Would love to, but can't seem to find any of their songs on the net.

Hah, relax man, I'm not trying to slag you guys off. Okay I admit, the lyrics do provide some comic relief, which is funny considering the theme of your songs tend to be about politics and the middle east crisis; Not something you'd normally associate with humour. Whether that was intentional or accidental, I think it's great. I don't know if that divertes the listener from the message of your songs though - it didn't for me.

On "Imperial Division" the humor is sort of intentional. Just the wordplay I guess.

The songs themselves are solid, the lyrics refreshing and doesn't feel contrived. In particular 'terrorism song', 'bridges not walls', 'prayer for peace' and 'imperial division'. Imperial Division in particular do sound like RHCP. I must say, I normally wouldn't be interested in political type songs especially if it was coming from a bunch of hippies but I'll admit, the songs were easy to listen to and your singer doesn't sound half bad at all.

Thanks, but I'll say it again, we don't look like hippies.

:huh: Does that change anything? Isn't part of being a hippie believing in a set of principles or something never mind what they look like? In all seriousness I don't have a problem with so-called hippies. I just fail to take them seriously. Not when they're advocating a lifestyle more reminiscant of the stone-age or behaving in manner similiar to those radical christians shoving their beliefs in my face. Tell me adnan, since you consider yourself a hippie, what do YOU believe in? I think I could be generalising here, but by calling yourself a hippie, I'd assume you're are just like every stereotypical hippie out there, thus you feeling comfortable enough to call yourself one.

By the way, what would your definition of a hippie be?

And regarding those idiots who always show up at those WTO/G8 meetings protesting globalisation, are they part of the hippie ethos?

:huh: Does that change anything? Isn't part of being a hippie believing in a set of principles or something never mind what they look like? In all seriousness I don't have a problem with so-called hippies. I just fail to take them seriously. Not when they're advocating a lifestyle more reminiscant of the stone-age or behaving in manner similiar to those radical christians shoving their beliefs in my face. Tell me adnan, since you consider yourself a hippie, what do YOU believe in? I think I could be generalising here, but by calling yourself a hippie, I'd assume you're are just like every stereotypical hippie out there, thus you feeling comfortable enough to call yourself one.

Part of the stereotypical view of a hippie is that they're smelly and they dress in tye dye shirts and that they all look like Jerry Garcia.

By the way, what would your definition of a hippie be?

And regarding those idiots who always show up at those WTO/G8 meetings protesting globalisation, are they part of the hippie ethos?

A person who believes in world piece and strives to achieve it.

No, those are morons.

So why go as far as to call yourself a hippie when, if all you believe in is world peace, you could've just called yourself a pasifist?

Cause I like hippies, but dislike the stereotype? I mean, I'm a hippie and I don't mind saying it. Why deny it, right?

Unlike the previous recordings, I really liked these! Not that the ones before were bad, just not that much my style and a little too generic-sounding.

Anyway, "Imperial Division" is really catchy and has some great lyrics, although I have to comment on the "The people united, will never be defeated" line as well - it blends in with the rest of the song well when you say it the first time, but as you keep repeating it, you draw too much attention to how cliché the content of the line atually is. I'm just puzzled by the fact that you chose to repeat that particular line, what with the profusion of much better, some absolutely great lines in the remainder of that song (seriously, explain this :unsure: ). This one just adds a little too much humour and is quite "anticlimatic" in a sense. If you were to improve the lyrics there and perhaps touch them up in a few other places as well, you'd have a really great tune and I mean that - the song's pretty awesome!

Edited by nameless_girl

Unlike the previous recordings, I really liked these! Not that the ones before were bad, just not that much my style and a little too generic-sounding.

Anyway, "Imperial Division" is really catchy and has some great lyrics, although I have to comment on the "The people united, will never be defeated" line as well - it blends in with the rest of the song well when you say it the first time, but as you keep repeating it, you draw too much attention to how cliché the content of the line atually is. I'm just puzzled by the fact that you chose to repeat that particular line, what with the profusion of much better, some absolutely great lines in the remainder of that song (seriously, explain this :unsure: ).

Lead singers decision. I told him he was a moron. We had a couple of chicks with us in the studio so he made them shout the line, they were trying not to laugh, you can sort of hear that.

This one just adds a little too much humour and is quite "anticlimatic" in a sense. If you were to improve the lyrics there and perhaps touch them up in a few other places as well, you'd have a really great tune and I mean that - the song's pretty awesome!

Thanks!

pretty fuckin good, bro

I kinda expected a political debate started here when I saw your name... :lol:

Thanks a lot. :)

:lol: i don't have the time no more man, i got 2 bands now and a new girlfriend that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay outta my league, god bless music.

Congrats on both :)

God bless music indeed. A way for average Joe's to get super hot dates... ;)

Would love to, but can't seem to find any of their songs on the net.

Did you try LimeWire? That song is quite popular, it is in French tho.

Aha, slipped my mind. I had a listen to it and I must say, it's one of those songs where you can actually hear the bass. Doesn't happen too often. Solid bass going on there. Come to think of it, I'm starting to take a liking to the bass guitar. I had one lying around but it was in too bad a shape to risk getting an electric shock over.

Cheers man.