My email to KFAN AM Radio.

Almost Famous

So yesterday at work my boss told me about KFAN AM radio ragging on this lineup and told me to email 'em n' put in my input about why they should go see this show.

Here is the email. Remember people, this is my opinion!

Hello there,

My boss mentioned to me that you were ragging on Guns N' Roses not being Guns N' Roses without Slash. Well, first off, let me introduce myself, I've been a fan of Guns N' Roses my whole life, I'm 17 now. Anyways, I've always been a die hard Guns N' Roses fan, I've got every live audio recording released so far, and a number of concerts in video/DVD. I've listened to each and everyone, and have came up with reasons to go and see this band live.

My Boss told me to either call or e-mail you guys about this little 'ragging' of the new band.

So, without further ado, here is my top 6 reasons why this upcoming concert at the Target Center would be worth going to.

1. Axl Rose's voice:

Currently, his vocals are the best that they've been at since December of 1991 to January of 1992. His voice was shot through out most of the two and a half year Use Your Illusion tour. During their 'stint' during 2002, Axl's voice was not up to par, he sounded more so like an early 1984/1985 Axl. In 2006, Axl's vocals are actually the best that they have ever been.

2. Guest appearances by Izzy Stradlin and Sebastain Bach:

Axl and Izzy got together on stage for the first time since May 30th, 1993, at the final show, May 17th 2006 of the four sold out shows at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City. And, through out the European Tour, from June 11th, 2006 to the final show of the tour, on July 30st 2006 at Wembley Stadium in London, was a guest on anywhere from 3 to 5 songs a night.

Also, Sebastain Bach has been doing a duet with Axl on 'My Michelle'. Baz totally kicks ass on the song. From all the reviews I've read about the shows with Baz and Axl on vocals, almost everyone has said that it's been one of the highlights of the concert.

3. The combination of Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal, Robin Finck, and Richard Fortus:

Richard Fortus and Robin Finck are the two tightest guitarist's in any band right now. They've both got amazing onstage charisma, and they're tighter then Slash n' Izzy were back in their heyday. Also, with the recent addition of Ron Thal, the three of them are the most talented, close nit guitarists currently out there. Ron's got amazing abilities, he's got the talent of Slash, and the ability to shred like ex-guitarist Buckethead.

Robin Finck worked with Nine Inch Nails and Cirque Du Soleil in the past. His got an on-stage presence that matches the likes of Angus Young. Richard Fortus did a lot of session work back before replacing longtime friend of Axl's and guitarist, Paul 'Huge' Tobias. Since the addition of Richard in the summer of 2002, Guns N' Roses have became even better. Richard and Robin are today's Slash and Izzy. They're a great team together.

4. A highly successful European Tour.

The European Tour consisted of a number of festival shows, including Download Festival at Castle Donnington, Gods Of Metal in Milan, Italy, Rock In Rio 2006, and the NovaRock festival.

This tour included 10 sold out shows, and was the most successful tour in the UK during the summer. This tour was the best tour for Guns N' Roses since the 1987/1988 tour for Appetite For Destruction. No riots like in 1991 and 1992, no walk offs in the middle of the show (There was one, but an audience member kept throwing shit at Axl after being told not to, but the show was ended without an encore. They finished their normal set, and skipped the two song encore, so that doesn't really count.)

Also, songs that haven't been played in years, for example Used To Love Her was played a few times during the tour.

And, we can't forget the live performances of some of the material from the upcoming album Chinese Democracy. (Chinese Democracy, The Blues, Better, IRS, There Was A Time and Madagascar)

5. May 12,14,15, and 17 shows at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City.

Well, the shows speak for themselves, seeing as they sold out in under 3 minutes. If no one wanted to see GnR because they don't have Slash, why would there be 10 sold out shows during the European Tour, and the 4 NYC shows selling out in under 3 minutes?

6. Slash:

Have you heard his playing in the last 10 years or so? He's lost a lot of the emotion he used to put into playing when he was with Guns N' Roses, frankly, I think he should 'retire' because, since leaving Guns N' Roses, his playing has went downhill. Velvet Revolver isn't worth even seeing live, or even listening to. The level that Slash used to play at, is no longer there, he will not be as good as he was before. Since 1993, his work has been going downhill. Listen to his Solo albums from Slash's Snakepit, they're mediocre at best, but hardly even that. But, don't get me wrong, I do like Slash, but since 1993 his work has not been to his full potential. Even the second Slash's Snakepit album, was hardly mentionable, and should not have been released. It was a huge flop on Slash's part. And, with the Velvet Revolver album, I couldn't make it through the first 4 tracks without turning it off, it was a very big letdown, not only for me, but other people who thought that VR might be up to par with GnR. Frankly, that is NOT the case. I haven't listened to the VR record since I turned it off, I was hugely let down, because it did not even come close to matching the hype that was made about it.

Media to help prove my point even more then already stated above:

Videos from Download Festival, Donnington, England can be found on the bands official website. I would link to the videos, but I can not.

So, go to www.gunsnroses.com and then click on watch video. There is three videos there, My Michelle featuring Sebastain Bach, Paradise City featuring Izzy, and Nightrain, also with Izzy Stradlin.

And, some audio; these are tracks that were leaked onto the Internet in February. (Please do not spread this link, I am hosting it on my own web space and I only have a small amount of bandwidth per month)

LINK Removed.

If you need some live stuff to even further prove my point, give me an address and I'll send out the complete recording of Download Festival, recorded from Axl's Monitor feed.

Hope you enjoyed the read;

Alex Anderson, a 17 year old die hard GnR fan from Bloomington.

What do you guys think? Don't bash, as it's a waste of time since this is based on my opinion as I stated above.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You lost me when you needlessly bashed Slash. :rolleyes:

Apart from that, very well written text. Enjoyed reading it.

Well, I didn't bash Slash, as I stated in the email that I do like the man, and most of his playing. Just now a days, he's gone down hill. But, each to their own opinion.

And, gnr=Axl, I will post the reply if I get one.

You lost me when you needlessly bashed Slash. :rolleyes:

Apart from that, very well written text. Enjoyed reading it.

Well, I didn't bash Slash, as I stated in the email that I do like the man, and most of his playing. Just now a days, he's gone down hill. But, each to their own opinion.

And, gnr=Axl, I will post the reply if I get one.

I like your opinion.

Ive never really got where yoo stood, im glad I got it sorted out

I heard the Powertrip that morning and the "Superstar" and his crew were commenting on the price of the ticket and whether or not the Guns would sell out the Target Center. Without a doubt morons regardless of their thoughts of Axl based on the fact they are morning radio guys.

Your enthusiasm about the band is great to see/read. See ya Dec 2!!

Have you ever seen Velvet Revolver live? They put on a phenomenal show both times I saw them, so I wouldn't make that statement. Slash is outstanding, maybe not as good as he once was, but still better than most out there and VR rock live.

I have to disagree with you there.

I saw them too and I really like slash but this band have no chemistry on stage.

WHen I saw them them seemed lost and did not know where they were going on stage.

This was the most disapointing show I saw for a long time. And it has nothing to do with GNR/VR questions

Good points, I agree with most of them except the voice one. This '06 voice is great, but c'mon , better than the Illusion tour days? No way, I'm sure you've seen shows like Chicago '92, Tokyo '92, France '92 , Giants Stadium '92, Tokyo '93....... Argentina '93 ...there's no way you can tell me his voice this year, though great, is better than in those shows.

Also....Slash should "retire"?......... :confused::confused: ...That whole Slash thing was an unnecessary point in my opinion. People should go see GN'R because Slash "sucks nowadays"? :huh: ..... You had already made a point of GN'R doing fine without him when you talked about Robin, Richard and Ron. (*off* shit they all start with R's :blink: )......Instead, again this is just my opinion, you should've pointed out that the new album is VERY close to being released, so new material is more than likely to be played. New material which is the first in A LOT of years. B)

Kannon.

All good points and i agree with the Slash point.

Sorry but id rather watch Finck than Slash every day of the year :)

sorry-i wouldn't

Opinions mate :)

of course' opinions differ :)

i just wonder what bought people here, the way they bash slash yet go to see some pretenders play his solo's :rofl-lol: reaks of hypocricy to me, not having a dig at you mate' you know me better than that, free speech is my middle name :)

All good points and i agree with the Slash point.

Sorry but id rather watch Finck than Slash every day of the year :)

sorry-i wouldn't

Opinions mate :)

of course' opinions differ :)

i just wonder what bought people here, the way they bash slash yet go to see some pretenders play his solo's :rofl-lol: reaks of hypocricy to me, not having a dig at you mate' you know me better than that, free speech is my middle name :)

I agree that we came here because of the bushy haired one its just my taste has evolved, i love watching Finck and have tired of Slash, still get goosebumps when i see him hope onto the piano in NR video though :wub: