My email to KFAN AM Radio.

Almost Famous

If Axl chooses to leave, it'll still be Guns N' Roses, and it may be hollow, but it's still Guns nonetheless.

it's kinda hollow now...

Yeah, only one original member. C'est la vie.

@Mr.Estranged, 1. you botched the quote. 2. No, I didn't say that. 3. I don't blindly follow the name. 4. if that happened, I'd still be interested, but I couldn't see that as Guns N' Roses anymore.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all just a song and dance routine to discredit the AFD lineup of the credit they deserve and their legacy. What better slap in their face than to say that they weren't the original founding members of the band?

Some New Guns fans will go to extreme lengths and use all kinds of technicalities to prove their point. But the real truth is, nobody knows or cares who the fuck Ole Beich, Traci Gunns, and Rob Gardener were. They played 5 shows! they were in the band for 2 months! Founding members? More like tryouts who didn't make the cut. They recorded no music and that ofcourse = no band.

You know Duff and Matt were also in New GnR at one point and were presented with Oh My God to work on and I guess they must be founding members of New Guns too! Oh yeah don't forget Paul Huge the original rhythm guitarist of New Guns!

Few points:

New Guns isn't a new entitity, it's still Guns N' Roses. Fact.

They weren't the original members of the band, so you can deliver them a slap curtesy of history.

Slash couldn't make the grade for Poison. Pff. That's poor.

f any of these called themselves GNR without Axl would you call them GNR also...if you would, fair enough thats your opinion, its stupid, but its yours, however if you wouldnt call them GNR then tell me, why not?

what is GNR?

But they're not Gn'R are they? Gn'R is Axl and whoever he chooses to pay or wants to play for him. Don't say, it's just a band then, doing covers. Because, Slash and co did the same. Fact.

Currently Guns N' Roses is a group containing:

Axl Rose

Finck

Fortus

Thal

Pittman

Reed

Brain

Stinson.

If Axl chooses to leave, it'll still be Guns N' Roses, and it may be hollow, but it's still Guns nonetheless.

ah now i get it, you worship the name Guns N Roses, so it doesnt really matter what music they play or whose in the band, as long as they keep the name......

I was such a fool, so sorry, can you forgive me?

it's kinda hollow now...

Yeah, only one original member. C'est la vie.

@Mr.Estranged, 1. you botched the quote. 2. No, I didn't say that. 3. I don't blindly follow the name. 4. if that happened, I'd still be interested, but I couldn't see that as Guns N' Roses anymore.

why couldnt you see it as GNR anymore? you just said it yourself that it still would be GNR, are you changing your argument as to what constitutes GNR?

you see my opinion of you here, is that your not actually a GNR fan at all, but rather an Axl Rose fan, and that you are trying to justify that present band as Guns N Roses in some vain attempt at legitimacy

actually forget my above post i didnt read your reply probably

so you then believe GNR is Axl, that the band who co wrote the music is surpuplus as long as theres the name and Axl.

You are then by definition an Axl Rose fan, not GNR fan, GNR were a band, plural, a cooperation, all adding components, you only like one component, Axl, theres no shame in it...but your not a GNR fan. FACT (as you like to say).

Slash couldn't make the grade for Poison. Pff. That's poor.

He was picked, he just didn't want to give up his hair and his top hat.

He was one of 3 candidates, but they didn't want him.

yes' some bands prefer guitarists that cant play' poison being one of them

Traci Guns didn't even play any shows with Guns N Roses. I guess you could call him a founding member, but to me, personally, the AFD lineup is the original.

Fucking wrong. Here is the prove.

04.11.85 - Radio City, Anaheim, CA

audio/video recording?: no

notes: This was another early incarnation of the band, which featured Axl, Izzy, Duff, Tracii Guns & Rob Gardener. In the flyer you can clearly see Tracii Guns & Rob Gardener, not Slash & Steven.

04.24.85 - Troubador, Hollywood, CA

notes: This was another early incarnation of the band, which featured Axl, Izzy, Duff, Tracii Guns & another drummer.

04.25.85 - Dancing Waters Club, San Pedro, CA

notes: This was another early incarnation of the band, which featured Axl, Izzy, Duff, Tracii Guns & another drummer

04.27.85 - Timbers Club, Glendora, CA

notes: This was another early incarnation of the band, which featured Axl, Izzy, Duff, Tracii Guns & another drummer.

First show with Slash and Steven:

06.06.85 - Troubador, Hollywood, CA

notes: This is the first Guns N' Roses gig that included Slash & Steven. They joined the band on this date. Tracii Guns & Rob Gardener are in the flyer for this show

You can find this information on gnrontour.com.

;)

Well, i honestly did not know that, because every article i've ever read has referred to the first Guns N Roses show as taking place in Seattle- in which Traci and Rob couldn't make it, so they were joined by Slash and Steven.

Oh well, it's a pointless argument anyhow, since obviously everyone has their own opinion on the matter. Traci was a founding member, but if you ask almost anybody on the face of this earth who the original lead guitarist of Guns N Roses was, they're gonna say Slash. Hell, Traci himself has even said he wasn't in the band long enough to contibute anything of any real significance- other than his name. Name me 1 GnR song that Traci gets any writing credit for because i honestly don't know of one.

This kind of nitpicking could be done with several bands. Many bands had to tinker with their lineups before they came up with what is known as their "original" lineup.

Traci Guns didn't even play any shows with Guns N Roses. I guess you could call him a founding member, but to me, personally, the AFD lineup is the original.

Fucking wrong. Here is the prove.

04.11.85 - Radio City, Anaheim, CA

notes: This was another early incarnation of the band, which featured Axl, Izzy, Duff, Tracii Guns & Rob Gardener. In the flyer you can clearly see Tracii Guns & Rob Gardener, not Slash & Steven.

04.24.85 - Troubador, Hollywood, CA

04.25.85 - Dancing Waters Club, San Pedro, CA

notes: This was another early incarnation of the band, which featured Axl, Izzy, Duff, Tracii Guns & another drummer

04.27.85 - Timbers Club, Glendora, CA

First show with Slash and Steven:

06.06.85 - Troubador, Hollywood, CA

notes: This is the first Guns N' Roses gig that included Slash & Steven. They joined the band on this date. Tracii Guns & Rob Gardener are in the flyer for this show

You can find this information on gnrontour.com.

;)

Well, i honestly did not know that, because every article i've ever read has referred to the first Guns N Roses show as taking place in Seattle- in which Traci and Rob couldn't make it, so they were joined by Slash and Steven.

Oh well, it's a pointless argument anyhow, since obviously everyone has their own opinion on the matter. Traci was a founding member, but if you ask almost anybody on the face of this earth who the original lead guitarist of Guns N Roses was, they're gonna say Slash. Hell, Traci himself has even said he wasn't in the band long enough to contibute anything of any real significance- other than his name. Name me 1 GnR song that Traci gets any writing credit for because i honestly don't know of one.

This kind of nitpicking could be done with several bands. Many bands had to tinker with their lineups before they came up with what is known as their "original" lineup.

very true

This is correct.

People can constantly try to take away from Duff, Slash and Steven's contributions, but at the end of the day, discrediting them is ridiculous. Tracii, Rob and Ole did nothing for the band, therefore, I don't recognise them as band members. Sandman - your argument is fundamentally flawed, and 99% of the board can see it for what it is - a last gasp attempt to solidify the new band's right to the name. Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of the new band... I can't wait to see them, I love BBF, Fortus and Brain, and Finck is growing on me more and more each day.

What you have to open your eyes to is that Guns N' Roses is more than a name. It's a culture. For some people, it was a way of life. I doubt there's any other band (besides maybe Kiss) that had so many fans ink themselves with their logos. Why don't you go and ask a few of the guys with AFD tattoos from the old days who Guns N' Roses were? I'm sure they'll be able to tell you a few stories. How about you ask Towers of London, a band who opened for GN'R on their UK Tour? I believe their quote went something like "The band...they do a great job, but they don't actually profess to be Guns N' Roses or anything, they're just a backing band.

I don't neccessarily share that point of view - but I can see exactly where they're coming from. This new lineup, whilst being an excellent group... aren't Guns N' Roses to me. I don't resent Axl for calling them that, or enjoy them any less (I probably listen to more NewGNR boots than old), but they still aren't Guns N' Roses in any more than a legal sense.

Everything Guns N' Roses stood for was forged by 5 guys. Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven. No matter how hard you try and wrench that from them, you won't be able to. As long as Axl covers Appetite at every show he plays, we'll remember them. We'll remember what they made.

...And i'll thank them every time. :)

This is correct.

People can constantly try to take away from Duff, Slash and Steven's contributions, but at the end of the day, discrediting them is ridiculous. Tracii, Rob and Ole did nothing for the band, therefore, I don't recognise them as band members. Sandman - your argument is fundamentally flawed, and 99% of the board can see it for what it is - a last gasp attempt to solidify the new band's right to the name. Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of the new band... I can't wait to see them, I love BBF, Fortus and Brain, and Finck is growing on me more and more each day.

What you have to open your eyes to is that Guns N' Roses is more than a name. It's a culture. For some people, it was a way of life. I doubt there's any other band (besides maybe Kiss) that had so many fans ink themselves with their logos. Why don't you go and ask a few of the guys with AFD tattoos from the old days who Guns N' Roses were? I'm sure they'll be able to tell you a few stories. How about you ask Towers of London, a band who opened for GN'R on their UK Tour? I believe their quote went something like "The band...they do a great job, but they don't actually profess to be Guns N' Roses or anything, they're just a backing band.

I don't neccessarily share that point of view - but I can see exactly where they're coming from. This new lineup, whilst being an excellent group... aren't Guns N' Roses to me. I don't resent Axl for calling them that, or enjoy them any less (I probably listen to more NewGNR boots than old), but they still aren't Guns N' Roses in any more than a legal sense.

Everything Guns N' Roses stood for was forged by 5 guys. Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven. No matter how hard you try and wrench that from them, you won't be able to. As long as Axl covers Appetite at every show he plays, we'll remember them. We'll remember what they made.

That just about brought a tear to my eye, wonderful post....good stuff!

In fact they should post this somewhere for prosperty, this is a peace accord, betweem those who love Guns n Roses and those who love the New Roses....

Edited by Mr Estranged

This is correct.

People can constantly try to take away from Duff, Slash and Steven's contributions, but at the end of the day, discrediting them is ridiculous. Tracii, Rob and Ole did nothing for the band, therefore, I don't recognise them as band members. Sandman - your argument is fundamentally flawed, and 99% of the board can see it for what it is - a last gasp attempt to solidify the new band's right to the name.

if i was gay i'd kiss you :)

lucky for you i'm not

great post mate' i take my hat off to you-respect

This is correct.

Well put! rock3

This is correct.

Can we have this on the homepage or something?

:wub:

This is correct.

Awesome post.

This is correct.

Yeah you have some interesting points, but at the end of the day who gives a fuck.

Everyone can talk about this until the world ends, but those guys split up and now a different set of guys (except 1 or 2 depending on where you stand) are now called Guns N Roses and play Guns N Roses songs. Nothing anybody can say will change that.

So you either enjoy this new set of guys fronted by the main man from the past line-ups both live and soon on record (fingers crossed) or you pretend guns n roses don't exist anymore (both in name and who you believe guns n roses to be) and fuck right off.

This continuous argument is pointless. So say everyone here and the world is convinced this line-up is not guns n roses? What then? I still wanna hear their album and see their great shows.... nothing will happen so everyone shut the fuck up and talk about something else.

LP

So you either enjoy this new set of guys fronted by the main man from the past line-ups both live and soon on record (fingers crossed) or you pretend guns n roses don't exist anymore (both in name and who you believe guns n roses to be) and fuck right off.

This continuous argument is pointless. So say everyone here and the world is convinced this line-up is not guns n roses? What then? I still wanna hear their album and see their great shows.... nothing will happen so everyone shut the fuck up and talk about something else.

LP

Thanks Longpig, but if you'd bothered to read my post, you'd notice that I stated several times that I think the members of the new band are excellent. My post wasn't being critical of them. I enjoy the music, pursue them with keen interest.

But that's cool - whatever man.

LP

Thanks Longpig, but if you'd bothered to read my post, you'd notice that I stated several times that I think the members of the new band are excellent. My post wasn't being critical of them. I enjoy the music, pursue them with keen interest.

Sorry this wasn't a direct comment and I agree with your post. I'm just bewildered as to why people need to talk about it. Sure some people are pissed it's called GnR still, but if you feel that way you either accept that the band (as you think of it) is dead and behave as if no version of the band exists and leave the site. Or you get over this issue and enjoy the new band.

I know you enjoy the new band and you don't really think of it as the true GnR, fair play, if it bothered me enough to think about it I might come to the same conclusion. But my point is why people who hate/dislike the new line-up continue to post here with nothing but negative comments.

If the band is dead to you, don't comment on a forum designed to discuss the new band. To me it's a little sad that's all.

Sorry HighVoltage, but none of what I said was directed at you personally.

LP

Edited by Longpig

LP

Sorry this wasn't a direct comment and I agree with your post. I'm just bewildered as to why people need to talk about it. Sure some people are pissed it's called GnR still, but if you feel that way you either accept that the band (as you think of it) is dead and behave as if no version of the band exists and leave the site. Or you get over this issue and enjoy the new band.

I know you enjoy the new band and you don't really think of it as the true GnR, fair play, if it bothered me enough to think about it I might come to the same conclusion. But my point is why people who hate/dislike the new line-up continue to post here with nothing but negative comments.

If the band is dead to you, don't comment on a forum designed to discuss the new band. To me it's a little sad that's all.

LP

you said it perfect. i am sick of hearing about ex-members this, original lineup that. i have no interest whatsoever in nostalgia. that was great but its in the past and i'd assume leave it there. I would think most members on a GNR board in the year 2006 would share these sentiments. Its all about the present.

LP

LP

you said it perfect. i am sick of hearing about ex-members this, original lineup that. i have no interest whatsoever in nostalgia. that was great but its in the past and i'd assume leave it there. I would think most members on a GNR board in the year 2006 would share these sentiments. Its all about the present.

thing is the old band were great and I see people's point in wanting that back, but at the end of the day even if they got back together it wouldn't be the same as it was. So you just have to accept what we have and I'm more than happy with the new GnR.

LP

LP

LP

In that case - I pretty much completely agree with you. ;)

I guess where we differ is that I don't really regard this band as the "true" Guns N' Roses. Like I said before, that doesn't mean my interest is dimished, or that I enjoy them any less.

...Really can't wait to hear this album. :shades:

EDITED to make more sense.

Edited by highvoltage

LP

LP

In that case - I pretty much completely agree with you. ;)

I guess where we differ is that I don't really regard this band as the "true" Guns N' Roses. Like I said before, that doesn't mean my interest is dimished, or that I enjoy them any less.

...Really can't wait to hear this album. :shades:

EDITED to make more sense.

No I do kind of agree it's not the "true" GnR, but my point is it's all we've got and I like what I hear and without it there would be no GnR, so I'm more than happy they are around.

LP