The key to appreciating Eric Clapton's solo career

adnan

After he wrapped up Derek & the Dominos Clapton took an entirely different route with his playing. See, with 461 Ocean Boulevard and any other album after it, bar From the Cradle and the live albums, Clapton lost interest with being the guitar god, so he became a pop songwriter and also specialized in reworking classic blues numbers into an adult contemporary style. Taking J.J. Cale's songwriting style and adding on overblown production, he entered an entirely different phase of his career. The playing was still excellent, but the solos were mostly concise and on many of his albums, he actually fills the role of the rythm guitarist for the most part. He once said: "I buy an album for the songs, not the lead guitar", and I guess that's what fuelled him.

In that view, Clapton, other than in the 80's has remained a good artist and has written a few absolute gems over time.

I can try what I want, I somehow can't really get into Clapton. The only songs which I really like are "Tears in heaven" and "Layla", especially "Layla"... My parents have several albums by him, but all that stuff isn't something I can lend my ear to ;)

Edited by Spoon87

I love Cream and DATD, but his solo material is mediocre IMO, although thare are a few good songs and his lead playing is consistently great. I think the key here is that Clapton is the type of musician that needs good co-writers to reach his potential. There's nothing wrong with that, I just wish he would have realized a few decades ago and not chosen to release so much overproduced, overtly commercial stuff.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
After he wrapped up Derek & the Dominos Clapton took an entirely different route with his playing. See, with 461 Ocean Boulevard and any other album after it, bar From the Cradle and the live albums, Clapton lost interest with being the guitar god, so he became a pop songwriter and also specialized in reworking classic blues numbers into an adult contemporary style . Taking J.J. Cale's songwriting style and adding on overblown production, he entered an entirely different phase of his career. The playing was still excellent, but the solos were mostly concise and on many of his albums, he actually fills the role of the rythm guitarist for the most part. He once said: "I buy an album for the songs, not the lead guitar", and I guess that's what fuelled him.

In that view, Clapton, other than in the 80's has remained a good artist and has written a few absolute gems over time.

This didn't need to happen.

This didn't need to happen.

I agree, but at least stuff like his cover of "Further on Up the Road" is absolutely amazing. And live those covers are stripped down.

BTW guys, I'm not saying his solo material is really excellent. IMO he's made more crap to decent albums than excellent ones. I'm just saying that quite a lot of his solo material is very good, and people need to listen to it with what I said about him wanting to rid himself of the guitar god title in mind, cause too many people disrespect Clapton as a guitarist, thinking mostly about his solo material, if not only of his solo material.

If you go here: http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Adnan1/recent/12, and on page 13, I've rated most of his discography, and you can see that the most common rating is from 2-3 stars, with a few five star albums and one or two 4 or 4.5 star ones. It's not that I'm saying Eric's work is all flawless. I even went as far as giving "Pilgrim" half a star for being so atrocious.

Im going to see him in April or something. He was supposed to play here a few weeks ago but his voice got messed up and he had to postpone.

Trust me, it'll be one of the greatest experiences you'll ever have. I've seen him once before, first row floor seats for that one, and it was so great that I'll have to see him at least 3 more times to be satisfied.

Im going to see him in April or something. He was supposed to play here a few weeks ago but his voice got messed up and he had to postpone.

Trust me, it'll be one of the greatest experiences you'll ever have. I've seen him once before, first row floor seats for that one, and it was so great that I'll have to see him at least 3 more times to be satisfied.

Yeah, Ive heard good and bad things about his concerts from people who like and dislike him. I guess I'll just have to see for myself, but Im defanetly looking foward to it.

I agree with you there, i do respect his solo career, and he has written some great classics. But the pop genre is not a genre he is suited too, he really is a bluesman through and through.

I've still got DATD - Live at the Fillmore East on play in my car, IMHO it's Clapton at his best.